Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
R35 Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just installed my recently purchased Michelin PSS. I went with a 285 front, 295 rear set up. I am running on Cor Cipher Deep Concave Wheels 20x10 fronts and 20x11 rears. Absolutely no rubbing issues whatsoever. Ride is smooth and quiet especially to what I had on before. Have not tested full grip capabilities yet, but will give them a run for the money soon.

I previously had Toyo R888's installed being 295 fronts and 315 rears. I loved the fit and fullness of the tire against the wheel well and was actually a bit worried the the PSS's would not fill as well, as they are 295's compared to 315's. However, being that the MIchelins are bubblier on the side walls, they actually look better in my opinion, even though narrower. The fill very nicely and sit flush to the fender.

My Toyos have been installed on stock rims and shall be used for track use, whereas the Michelins are my daily driving tires now.

Enjoy some pics...

The Toyos on the stock rims for track use:

Installation of Tires:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
This is awesome to hear ... And see! I had the same dilemma re love the look of the r888s on 10/11 rims I had a chance to pickup 4 295s with 90% thread that i was going to and think I'm going to buy 4 more 285s and mount in this setup.

·
ACG Automotive
2,588 Posts
Looks incredible. Are you lowered?

·
R35 Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will those tire sizes fit on the stock rims? I maybe purchasing a set this year.
They should fit very nicely on stock rims with no issues. I currently have the Toyos on the stock rims and they are 295 front and 315 rear tire sizes, with absolutely no issues. I tracked with them last weekend.

·
ACG Automotive
2,588 Posts
No not lowered (YET). I am on stock suspension, but have plans to do springs....
Good to know. Doesn't look like it will rub but wanted to know.

I have KW sleeves going on mine and really want to swap out tires for these.

Thanks for the info.

·
R35 Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How are the PSS holding up on the streets? And how much power are you making?
Car looks great!
Hey Topend...

The wheels drive great in all honesty. They have very little sound and actually look amazing!!! They have a great bubbly effect on the side wall that gives it an aggressive look and they fill out the wells beautifully.

Now with all that said, and with my previous experience with the Toyos, they just dont grip quite as much. I get some tire squeal on launch (LC4), and the car actually dances when i hit the gas (WOT) in first gear. Not to say that they are not worthy of the GTR and that they cannot handle the car, cause the spin is very little and the wobble in the back is short, but when compared to my Toyos, I had no wheel spin at all!!!

My car has bolt ons being Gotboost 3" intakes, HKS sparks, Cobb Midpipe, HKS Legamax Exhaust and a tune by Sharif @ Forged Performance. We dyno'ed the car and it puts down on a very conservative DynoDynamics very close to 500 awhp.

All in all, the tires are great for daily driving and some aggressive street driving, but on the track, I would stick to the Toyos for best grip and performance.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm running the Toyo's R888 and the road noise is getting pretty annoying now. My next set will probably be the Michelin PSS up front and a set of Mickey Thompson ET Streets for the rear.

·
Registered
199 Posts
With the 285/295 combo do you have any concerns about the OD differences? If I'm reading the spec's correctly, and if Tire Rack is correct, the OD on the 285 is 27.9 and the 295 OD is 28.1. Is this .2 difference within the tolerance for the GTR? I know there are countless threads on this subject but I would like your opinion. Also, I will be tracking on these tires occasionally and would like to avoid any VDC issues.

Thanks!

·
R35 Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With the 285/295 combo do you have any concerns about the OD differences? If I'm reading the spec's correctly, and if Tire Rack is correct, the OD on the 285 is 27.9 and the 295 OD is 28.1. Is this .2 difference within the tolerance for the GTR? I know there are countless threads on this subject but I would like your opinion. Also, I will be tracking on these tires occasionally and would like to avoid any VDC issues.

Thanks!
Hi,

Had the same concerns when I was looking for a wider rear size. With all the research I did and with confirmations from several knowledgeable members on the forum, I was assured that the size difference is negligible. I was told the tolerance is up to 0.5 difference. My experience so far with this set up, confirms what I have been told. I have had no problems at all whatsoever. I have not tracked these wheels as of yet, but have had some spirited road runs and never had any issues.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi,

Had the same concerns when I was looking for a wider rear size. With all the research I did and with confirmations from several knowledgeable members on the forum, I was assured that the size difference is negligible. I was told the tolerance is up to 0.5 difference. My experience so far with this set up, confirms what I have been told. I have had no problems at all whatsoever. I have not tracked these wheels as of yet, but have had some spirited road runs and never had any issues.

Hope this helps.
Thank you - I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Thanks!
I am currently running the PSS in 295 rear and 275 front and the diameter difference is .5". VDC gets a little finicky sometimes, especially if the car is cold and you get on the gas. But most of the time there are no issues. I wouldn't expect any issues from the 295/285 setup, except maybe on the track.

·
R35 Member
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am currently running the PSS in 295 rear and 275 front and the diameter difference is .5". VDC gets a little finicky sometimes, especially if the car is cold and you get on the gas. But most of the time there are no issues. I wouldn't expect any issues from the 295/285 setup, except maybe on the track.
What is your definition of "VDC issues"?? How do you define VDC being finicky sometimes??? Can you elaborate on what you mean and what you are feeling?? Any error codes? Lights flashing?? Maybe I am experiencing something and I dont know what it is.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Some have claimed that VDC will engage at less than desirable moments on track i.e. engage the brakes, or shift power around. It has also been noted that transmission temps could run higher, though, I'm not sure this has been observed, yet.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.