Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
With the amount of GT-R owners switch over to the Michelin PSS after the stock run flats we decided it was time to get you guys some hard data. We teamed up with Michelin USA and they were kind enough to supply us with several sets of tires for back to back testing. Prior to the stock sizing being released for the GT-R it was very popular to run the 285 square setup for may GT-R owners. Whether the car was full street or street/track many people were seeing great results from this setup.

The purpose of this test was to really see the difference between the stock tire and the PSS. Michelin was very clear with me that the exact results were to be totally public whether good or bad...they wanted the community to have back to back, real world data.

So I went to work, I needed to find a completely stock GT-R (harder than I thought it would be) to use for testing and employ professional driver Leh Keen to give us the back to back driving precision we would need for an accurate test. With all that gathered up we headed for Roebling Road in Savanna to start testing.

The test was performed using three different setups, on the same car, back to back, with the same driver.

Track: Roebling Road Raceway
Car: 2010 GT-R BONE STOCK
Driver: Leh Keen

Setups

Stock Bridgestone Potenza RE70

Sizes:
255/40/20 (F)
285/35/20 ®

Michelin Pilot Super Sport (PSS)

Sizes:

255/40/20 (F)
285/35/20 ®

Michelin Pilot Super Sport (PSS)

285/35/20 (F)

285/35/20 ®

Here is the feedback from driver Leh Keen concerning the three different setups.

Stock Potenza staggered - This obviously is a great tire for dry conditions. It works very well on the GT-R as it was designed specifically for the GT-R. This is a proven setup that the factory has chosen. It is a runflat and has a very stiff sidewall. I know this tire does not last long with normal road use. It is also horrible in the wet and noisy on the road. Compared to the factory sized PSS setup the Potenza was 0.1 seconds slower in lap time. The Potenza did not quite have the overall grip of the staggered PSS but did show more response from the front and better balance although still had a bit of push. The threshold of lateral grip held a bit longer than the PSS but then had a quicker release rate. The sharpness of the front helped with understeer and this gave the car better balance then the staggered PSS. The front would simply respond to inputs better resulting in a better balance in the car. Although the time was 0.1 slower on the PSS, the car was nicer to drive and "felt" better on the factory setup.

PSS staggered - The PSS showed great overall grip but lacked balance. The 255 just doesn't seem to be as aggressively built as the 285 relatively speaking. That said it was 0.1 quicker due to overall grip and was easier to drive with push being the determining factor. The response was dull from the front and would easily slip into a push. The threshold of grip had a steady fall and was smoother than the Potenza. It was easier to find the limit of the tire and go over it. The PSS "talks" to you more and tells you its limits easier. The rear 285 easily overpowered the front 255. The PSS is great in the rain also and has less road noise.

PSS Square - This was awesome. This setup "fixed" the understeer that the stock and staggered PSS setups had. The front responded well to steering inputs and had the overall front grip to make the car turn. Although not as sharp as the Potenza the general front grip made up for that. Overall grip increased but only marginal the big difference was the balance. The time was a full 1.0 second quicker using this setup! 80% of that time increase was thanks to the better balance in the car. Actually I would say the car was almost perfectly balanced (for a completely stock car). Slight understeer in lower speed corners with slight oversteer in entry to med and lower speed corners, which is simply a GT-R character trait. It was easier to find the limit of the tire and that resulted in a great overal feeling and confidence. I was very impressed with this setup and was surprised to see how much quicker it was.

Overall we are we were very happy with the performance of the PSS. The tire lasts longer, rides better, and is just as fast or faster than the factory setup. I want to personally thank Michelin for the opportunity to doing this testing for them and look forward to more real world/track research in the future. The new combination that Michelin just released (285/295) will be tested hopefully in the coming weeks. While it may add a little more push to the car we are hoping the increased rear grip will compensate for that and translate into lap times. If for no other reason the 295 simply looks better on the car

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. I am sure that all of the information you guys need isn't totally covered in this writeup, but we are here for that. Leh and myself will be answering questions that come up so don't hesitate. I had the guys put together a little video for the community as well as some pictures....see those below.

We also have a huge stock of all the tested tires. Everything is in the building and ready to ship. So if anyone is looking for a PSS setup please shoot us a PM, email, or just call the shop.

Thanks for the continued support, we hope this writeup aids some of you in your decision making process.

~Team TSM

·
Registered
180 Posts
Glad to see these are being tested back to back with the runflats. Your testing confirms what I have thought, as I have also run both tires at the track (albeit not on the same day). Really looking forward to the 295/285 test. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Why the double/cross post? I get confused.

·
Like a BOSS
645 Posts
When my runflats wear out I'm probably going with this tire. I think the 285F/295R setup would workout the best for me. What do you think Cicio?

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
Great writeup. Good to hear the feedback on a square setup. I think it really gets the cars where they need to be with a fairly stock setup, and only better if you can tune the rest of the suspension around it. More tire is always better, but balance, and driver confidence will make the driver quicker.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stock Bridgestone Potenza

Thanks for a great and informative post with feedback based on actual, first hand experience.
Just for clarity; are these the Potenza RE070 R2? (I am not based in the US so don't know which version of the RE070 is/was the stock Bridgestone there)

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts

Thanks for a great and informative post with feedback based on actual, first hand experience.
Just for clarity; are these the Potenza RE070 R2? (I am not based in the US so don't know which version of the RE070 is/was the stock Bridgestone there)
These were R1 series RE070. Just FYI the ONLY difference between the R1 and R2 spec is that the R2 has 9/32 tread depth and the R1 has 7/32. That is the ONLY difference between the two tires. Same compound and internal structure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
These were R1 series RE070. Just FYI the ONLY difference between the R1 and R2 spec is that the R2 has 9/32 tread depth and the R1 has 7/32. That is the ONLY difference between the two tires. Same compound and internal structure.
This is not entirely accurate; the RE070 and RE070R2 do have a different outer treadblock pattern.

I am not sure of any other differences such as the compound but for whatever that's worth (not much I guess) the R2 feels sticker/softer, and granted, the wear rating is the same.

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of my buddies is an Engineer at Bridgestone, he told me that there was a wide spread misconception that there was anything different in the actual tire design..the tire is the same, the R1 is slightly lighter due to less rubber. Yes they have a different tread pattern but that is all.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Bridgestone probably added the extra 2/32" of rubber on the R2 due to complaints about the R1's wearing out too quickly, particularly on the inside front. Similar to Honda changing the alignment specs on the NSX due to excessive rear tire wear from very high toe-in setting. They gave some people free replacement tires if they complained loud enough and then the reduced the factory toe setting.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Hi there, great article by the way

I'm sat in the UK. Just asked about putting this tyre on the GTR ie a non run flat. Apparently the insurance companies will not support it / underwrite it. How's this issue dealt with in the US?

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
I'm sat in the UK. Just asked about putting this tyre on the GTR ie a non run flat. Apparently the insurance companies will not support it / underwrite it. How's this issue dealt with in the US?
What issue?

Seriously though, its not something that would be part of the equation. I have never heard of a US company having any problem with anything related to tires. There might be a chance if you were really far off, and it caused an issue them not to cover it, but I doubt it. They pay it, and move on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
so with the 285 square set up .. i can rotate my tyres front to back ?? n btw.. i heard tracking with these tyres only once will affect its drivability on street use?? is that true?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just had the 285/295 installed yesterday and they look fantastic! I am also lowered on Eibach springs. My initial impressions match that of the many others that have had these tires installed. I came from R888 and the PSS's are much, much more comfortable and quiet. I have a track day coming up in June and I will post my impressions after that.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts