Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SUCCESS!!!!! I just finally bought my beloved GTR (thanks 2002_VIPER_GTS_ACR!!!) and it came with snow tires. So with things warming up and dying to really drive this thing, I needed tires. I searched and searched and could only find that 285's square would work and many other oppinions if 295's would rub or not. There was one poster but he had ADV wheels and I suspect offset.

So, I just had to have the extra 1" in width the 295's give over the 285's. Why? Just because. So, if you're like me, here's some pics and video to show that its possible!

Drove the car pretty hard through some twisties, came over a large hill at a good speed, drove to work with crossing rail road tracks and no rubbing. I cant say it wont ever rub, but so far so good!!

Handling and grip? Impeccable! Tons of grip.

Quiet and smooth.... And no need for comfort button anymore, I hate RF's!

First pic is just to show how wide these things are. I could only fit 3 in the back of an Escalade (all 4 stock size blizzacks fit fine).

·
ACG Automotive
2,588 Posts
Nice lookin Meats!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about a video too!!

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Holy Shit! I want my car back! That thing looks Fabulous! It was those F'in snow tires that tricked me into selling the car!

Seriously, I cleaned the car extremely well before I brought it to you, but I swear to god, you made that think look like Black liquid Gold. You detailed it more? Or is this what its like, once you lose something, only THEN to you appeciate it?

Love the Tires, the whole car looks awesome. Is that your Tag too? So you DID get a vanity plate?

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
This is great news! Thanks for taking the plunge.\

Also, please confirm (once more) that your aftermarket wheels are the same offset as the OEM setup. Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes sir, I even confirmed it with 2002_VIPER_GTS_ACR again. Stock offset and width's.

Jon, Thanks!!! I keep it spotless, keepin your tradition going! I keep a cali duster in the trunk, damn diffuser always dusts the rear bumper!

LOVING IT.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
This is great news! Thanks for taking the plunge.\

Also, please confirm (once more) that your aftermarket wheels are the same offset as the OEM setup. Thanks.
Since they were mine long before they were his
, Yes I confirm it!

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Congrats

They were Volk G2's not ADV's thought

+1 on how quiet and comfortable they are

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Nicely done. I am switching the the Pilot SS as soon as I wear out the PS2's I'm running now. Just curious, will that still clear up front if you were to lower the car with coilovers or springs? I remeber when I was running 285's up front when I still had the stock fenders and was lowered with Amuse springs I had rubbing problems and had to roll the fenders.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Nicely done. I am switching the the Pilot SS as soon as I wear out the PS2's I'm running now. Just curious, will that still clear up front if you were to lower the car with coilovers or springs? I remeber when I was running 285's up front when I still had the stock fenders and was lowered with Amuse springs I had rubbing problems and had to roll the fenders.
Then I dont see how lowering it would work on this car then. There is nothing magical about the car, so stock height, stock wheel size and stock offset allows it to run those tires, if changing the ride height on your car with 'like' setup caused rubbing, then that will likely happen on this car IF it was to be lowered.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Then I dont see how lowering it would work on this car then. There is nothing magical about the car, so stock height, stock wheel size and stock offset allows it to run those tires, if changing the ride height on your car with 'like' setup caused rubbing, then that will likely happen on this car IF it was to be lowered.
I kinda thought so, but for stock suspension, that is a great setup. I know these tires are a great improvement over the run flats for ride comfort and from everything I am reading, I think they should stick as well as the Dunlop run flats. I might just have to pull my PS2's off early.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I plan on full out Colin McRae drifting this thing in the winter on Blizzacks so no plans on lowering my beast. And with these meats, I dont think it needs it.

And agree with Viper, if it rubbed with 285's I dont see why it wouldnt rub with 295's... Theyre 1" wider. Maybe look into your offsets? Im still learning as much as I can about the GTR.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I plan on full out Colin McRae drifting this thing in the winter on Blizzacks so no plans on lowering my beast. And with these meats, I dont think it needs it.

And agree with Viper, if it rubbed with 285's I dont see why it wouldnt rub with 295's... Theyre 1" wider. Maybe look into your offsets? Im still learning as much as I can about the GTR.
Nice! That's the one thing I haven't done, and can never do with my 09 now. Drive in the snow. That will have to wait until I can swing a second GT-R, one to keep more stock and be able to drive up to the mountains. Congrats on your car and your wheel tire setup, your going to have a blast driving it.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
The 295/35s are not recommended for mounting on 9.5" rims according to most tire manufacturers, but apparently it worked for you. I a not sure I would track on them though..

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
The 295/35s are not recommended for mounting on 9.5" rims according to most tire manufacturers, but apparently it worked for you. I a not sure I would track on them though..
I'd leave those decisions to him. He happens to hold some pretty damn impressive track titles. And so being the betting man I am, my money is on HIM knowing what will work... not you. BTW, buy anymore cracked stock rims at a bargain? lol...

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I'd leave those decisions to him. He happens to hold some pretty damn impressive track titles. And so being the betting man I am, my money is on HIM knowing what will work... not you. BTW, buy anymore cracked stock rims at a bargain? lol...
Settle down Richard. I never told him what to do, rather I wasn't sure. I guess friendly advice that might save someone a lot of trouble doesn't jive with you.. Here's some more friendly advice for you this time: up your dosage.

PS - I never bought cracked wheels, they cracked on their own, including the ones that came with the car.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
SUCCESS!!!!! I just finally bought my beloved GTR (thanks 2002_VIPER_GTS_ACR!!!) and it came with snow tires. So with things warming up and dying to really drive this thing, I needed tires. I searched and searched and could only find that 285's square would work and many other oppinions if 295's would rub or not. There was one poster but he had ADV wheels and I suspect offset.

So, I just had to have the extra 1" in width the 295's give over the 285's. Why? Just because. So, if you're like me, here's some pics and video to show that its possible!

Drove the car pretty hard through some twisties, came over a large hill at a good speed, drove to work with crossing rail road tracks and no rubbing. I cant say it wont ever rub, but so far so good!!

Handling and grip? Impeccable! Tons of grip.

Quiet and smooth.... And no need for comfort button anymore, I hate RF's!

First pic is just to show how wide these things are. I could only fit 3 in the back of an Escalade (all 4 stock size blizzacks fit fine).
Congrats on the wheels. I have the PSS in 285/35 square and have tracked them 4 days. They were really grippy at first and a great tire though the last event they seemed to have some trouble and chattered/squealed a lot... Grip was still slightly acceptable though but not like they were when new or like the other tires have used. They never really got greasy like the Dunlops and R888s. I think the higher treadwear has something to do with it. I am curious to know how yours will hold up. It looks like the tires will last a decent bit longer than the Dunlops too.

For the price these are a good deal, though not sure what you paid for yours...

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Settle down Richard. I never told him what to do, rather I wasn't sure. I guess friendly advice that might save someone a lot of trouble doesn't jive with you.. Here's some more friendly advice for you this time: up your dosage.

PS - I never bought cracked wheels, they cracked on their own, including the ones that came with the car.
Please.... based on some of the retarded posts you make, where you have to appologize for your lack of reading comprehension, I am sure the cracks in your wheels arent the only forms of crack in your life.

HIT the Pipe a little less, maybe you'll start to realize, your 'friendly advice' is hardly friendly... the way you tell people how they did something wrong, in your not so subtle approach.

Eat a Richard.

Jon

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Please.... based on some of the retarded posts you make, where you have to appologize for your lack of reading comprehension, I am sure the cracks in your wheels arent the only forms of crack in your life.

HIT the Pipe a little less, maybe you'll start to realize, your 'friendly advice' is hardly friendly... the way you tell people how they did something wrong, in your not so subtle approach.

Eat a Richard.

Jon
Jesus loves you Richard...

1 - 20 of 112 Posts