Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting tired of waitng for Michelin to produce a set of Super Sports for the GT-R (despite that they put their decal on the FIA car). Obviously, one needs to match the revs/mile with an AWD car and I can't come up with a staggered combo that matches. However, I could run the same tires front and rear if a suitable combo was available. Ergo, the Super Sport 275/35-20. Recommended rim widths are 9-11". GT-R is F 9.5, R 10.5. Stock tire sizes are F 255/40-20 and R 285/35-20. The wider rim in the rear will give a wider section width. I see where people run Toyo 285/30-20's on the stock front rims. 1) Anyone know if Michelin is about to produce a set for the GT-R? What do others think about the non-staggered compromise?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I see the 275 fronts with 295 rears are available, both are close to 28" O.D., almost the same as OEM? This way the OEM wheels can still be used too. And you go up 20MM in the front while going up 10MM in the back and this should also clam the understeer a little, even though not as good as the square setup but the tire height will be just right.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see the 275 fronts with 295 rears are available, both are close to 28" O.D., almost the same as OEM? This way the OEM wheels can still be used too. And you go up 20MM in the front while going up 10MM in the back and this should also clam the understeer a little, even though not as good as the square setup but the tire height will be just right.
Revs per mile for the 275 are 784, while the 295's are 805. Thats a 3% difference. I wonder if that will confuse the center diff?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few people love their 285/30/20 setup. It looks great too. I believe it actually reduce understeer which is better than stock size. It is smaller diameter, but will work.
Are you saying that they are running the 285's front and rear? If so looks attractive. They are run flats and the stock rim widths are within the recommended range. I need new tires before my May inspection date. If Michelin doesn't offer Super Sports in our sizes by then, I'll look very hard at this. Also gives me time to see if there is a new tire spec from Nissan by then. 2013's will be out and a new Dunlop might have an equivalent tire to Michelin Super Sports. (In a perfect world, Nissan would go with their FIA sponsor and do OEM Michelin Super Sports--joining Ferrari. Porsche, and Corvette).

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yes front and rear 285/30/20 Micheline Super sports (thread wear 300, if I remember correctly). He stated way better than the OEM tires. He has drag raced and gone to many track events with no issues.

Are you saying that they are running the 285's front and rear? If so looks attractive. They are run flats and the stock rim widths are within the recommended range. I need new tires before my May inspection date. If Michelin doesn't offer Super Sports in our sizes by then, I'll look very hard at this. Also gives me time to see if there is a new tire spec from Nissan by then. 2013's will be out and a new Dunlop might have an equivalent tire to Michelin Super Sports. (In a perfect world, Nissan would go with their FIA sponsor and do OEM Michelin Super Sports--joining Ferrari. Porsche, and Corvette).

·
Registered
838 Posts
Ted99, I am the one with the 285/30/20 on my 2010 GTR. I have done a total of 5 track days and daily drive it as well as go to the 1/4 mile track. I had it at Daytona up to 182 MPH before backing off a bit. The tires are still new. I should take a picture of them so you can see. The only draw back is if I were to get a flat tire. They do NOT come in run flats. I know TopSpeed ran these same tires (only bigger 315's) in which they won One Lap of America. At the end of the race Leh Keen corded the backs however the fronts are still on the car with over 7000 miles and 8 track days!

This is the tire I will use from here on out until they come out with run flats for the PSS.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am also running the PSS 315 20's on my 2010 GT-R and can attest to their longevity and overall performance.

At the end of last years One Lap with around 4000 miles on them, I set a new Dry Skidpad Record of 1.12G's at the Tire Rack...The factory Dunlops are a great tire as well but don't seem to hold up under heavy track use. The PSS is really my only choice for a high performance street tire on any car.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
So 315's all around work fine on the stock rims? No rubbing? No issues going lock-to-lock with the steering wheel?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ted99, I am the one with the 285/30/20 on my 2010 GTR. I have done a total of 5 track days and daily drive it as well as go to the 1/4 mile track. I had it at Daytona up to 182 MPH before backing off a bit. The tires are still new. I should take a picture of them so you can see. The only draw back is if I were to get a flat tire. They do NOT come in run flats. I know TopSpeed ran these same tires (only bigger 315's) in which they won One Lap of America. At the end of the race Leh Keen corded the backs however the fronts are still on the car with over 7000 miles and 8 track days!

This is the tire I will use from here on out until they come out with run flats for the PSS.
Great testimonials. I like less understeer too. Looked this tire up on the Tire Rack site. It's available in this size in Ferrari spec and is non run flat. It is also available as a "generic" PSS in run flat. The run flat weighs 3# more, but is cheaper than the Ferrari spec tire (no surprise there). All in all, it looks like a bargain!

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Ferrari Spec is what Leh and i both used.
It has some secret sauce in it and comes with less tread depth than a regular PSS. As well it is an XL Load tire so it works well with the GT-R's extra Lbs....Mine looked nearly new after 4000miles on One Lap.

Yes we both ran Passport JDM fenders to clear them.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have four 285-30-20 PSS on my car's stock rims.
They work fine; handle about equivalent to stock Dunlops. At Road America track day last month with passengers went a best lap 2:33.5 but there was traffic; Traqmate's Theoretical Best Lap was 2:30, but I think it could have gone a bit better.
The stock summer Dunlops got me a 2:29 actual and 2:29 TBL.
The winter (allseason) Dunlops were good too, got a 2:30 out of those
and they wear like IRON, but of course these are different days/weather/traffic etc.
I did not think square setup understeered significantly less than with stock / size tires; the PSS push and howl a little at/beyond their limits, while stock tires tended to quietly understeer with the occasionally mentioned "juddering" of front tires across pavement.

I got the impression that the PSS might be SLIGHTLY less tolerant of overheating, as they seemed to go away a bit more than the Dunlops toward end of session or when pushed to max awhile; could be the PSS lesser mass heats up more quickly/to higher temp spike than the more massive stock Dunlops, and so acts that way.

I have suspected the reason the Dunlop "all season" winter tire package tires did almost as well as the summer Dunlops could be that the harder/longer wearing tread compound of the winter tires heats up and gets soft slower than the soft summer Dunlops...so maybe the softer summer tires work better the first 2-3 laps, but the winter tires heat up and eventually do better toward end of sessions once their harder tread heats up enough to soften to ideal...just speculation though.

The summer Dunlops did wear faster than the PSS, which likely wear faster than the winter Dunlops.
PSS ride a bit nicer with softer sidewalls; I have mine at 35 psi instead of stockers at 29 psi, to make up some stiffness and help steering input transient response, vs the very stiff sidewall stockers.
Rain/wet the PSS are better, more grippy thus more confidence inspiring than either of the stock Dunlops.

The PSS in 285-30-20 look smaller on the rear than stock, they have a slightly smaller tread width than the stockers. They kind of "trapezoid INWARD" from rim to tread, not BAD but not a good look either, needs bigger size in back to look best

It bothers me some, such that I will try going to a larger width including higher aspect ratio if I have to, to increase rear tire size, when these wear out.

I will try to keep using the PSS, as they are about $200 EACH less than the stock Dunlops...$800 a set, a not inconsiderable sum.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I can tell you the Ferrari Spec 315 PSS tires are faster than the stock Dunlops.
They also must have a stiffer sidewall than the 285's because they are nearly as stiff as a runflat.

At Road America 2 years ago on OneLap from a standing start we did 3 laps on the long course with the motorcycle chicane and averaged 2:51 laps and that was on tires slower than the stock Dunlops. I would guess at RA these PSS tires should be 3-4 seconds faster per lap with the chicane.

·
Registered
788 Posts
That would not surprise me, that PSS in 315 on all 4 wheels (presumably wider rims as well) would be faster than stock 255 front/285 rear stock Dunlops.
I am hopeful that the more stockish size 285 square PSS MAY be a bit faster, but have not documented it so far. In my experience I think it can safely be said they are about AS fast, though, and your thought that they could be faster is reasonable.
My brakepads were worn when I started the weekend as I was only informed there was a spot for me a week before the event (it was full), and I didn't get new pads; thus only did one day not both, and not as many laps as I'd like to get used to the tires and see total difference.
I've been doing very slight, incremental changes to identify real differences, and to avoid screwing up the demonstrable excellence and balance that Nissan engineered into the GTR...so a minor mod here, a change to 285 square on PSS there...
Stock Dunlop 7010 All Seasons...Stock Dunlop SP Sport 600DSST...Square 285 Michelin PSS...

In spring will see more how these PSS tires work, and start seeing how long they last...the Winter Blizzaks go back on sometime in December for my GTR's 4th Snowy Wisconsin Winter!

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Revs per mile for the 275 are 784, while the 295's are 805. Thats a 3% difference. I wonder if that will confuse the center diff?
Actually according to their specs:

275/35ZR20 - 755 revs per mile - Runflat & 300 AAA
295/35ZR20 - 740 revs per mile - Not Runflat and comes in two versions 220 AAA & 300 AAA

1.99%/2.02% difference is revs per mile. Not too much. I wish the 295s would fit on the fronts.

I don't want the 285s because of the speedometer variation. 275s @ 1%ish is ok.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK. I used data from the Tire Rack from a couple of months ago. 2% diff in revs/mile would seem to be within different wear ranges (my fronts are much more worn than the rears). No experts on how much stagger the center diff can accomodate have stepped up, yet. I also like the "staggered" look over square. It also would have a little more rubber sticking outside the rims to give a little more protection from curb rash when parking. All good. I wish someone else would try this (hate to be a first adopter, these days).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.