Nissan GT-R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is an interesting question. Minor accident can be fixed with bondo for 1200.00 or far less with paintless fix. Terrible other ins. company has files CARFAX..

So what to do... Fix with paintless and except not perfect but future buyer will see extent of minor damage..... OR bondo and blend with quality body shop and hope future buyer reads CARFAX that same very minor accident.

vote................

paintless

bondo

·
Super Moderator
5,436 Posts
Without you specifying what part of the car needs repair. My answer still is, no paintless no bondo.

If its just a dent repair. There are professionals that can do magic if they are really good at it, again not knowing what part is to be repaired.

Bondo and blend. Amateur body shops will say they can blend. Professionals will refuse to blend. Either paint the entire body part or not at all.

As far as bondo goes, again not knowing the specific body part to be repaired, absolutely not. Replace body part with OEM and paint.

But thats just me.

When i run my magnet around a vehicle and discover bondo.. or by using a filler detector, the asking price just plummeted lol

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
+1 for more information on location of damage

·
Registered
443 Posts
Dont bother trying to fix out of pocket if there is already a record from a police report. Been there done that, doesnt work. Minor damage reported on Carfax is still the kiss of death even if you were able to buff it all out at home and never made a claim. To be off record, you have to send other at fault driver on their way without calling police. If there is a carfax record you are already f$cked so might as well fix it right.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dent is 4 inches long and 2 inches tall and 1/4 deep.. It is located on the front fender on the crease line that is close to the tire.

Paintless dent removal

or

Conventional repair and blend paint into hood. Body shop is Nissan dealer .

·
Registered
443 Posts
Take the car to dent wizard for an estimate and they will tell you if they can fix it or not. If there is paint damage, or significant creasing they may tell you they cant do it.

If they cant, I would avoid bondo. It can look OK at first but will shrink later and look wavy when you look down the side of the car. Many dealers run a paint micrometer over the car and will spot the extra thickness. As Gdzilla said, get a new OEM fender and have it primed and painted properly. Or, use this as an opportunity to get aftermarket Varis vented fenders. At least it was a front fender. Much easier to replace than a rear fender.

Keep photos of the damage and records of repair for when you go to sell. If the other driver was at fault, you can go after their insurance for diminished value. They wont offer you the full amount but its better than nothing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts