Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might get one more run at the local drag-strip, before it closes for the Winter. And, it occurred to me to consider a few extra "tricks' to better my ET (beyond the usual that perhaps we all know).

If anyone would indulge me, please give me your opinion about several questions (all 2012 GT-R, all drag-strip related) I have opinions about the answers to most of these questions):

1) When I initiate LC4 at staging, RPM quickly goes to 4000, and the Boost locks at -10. Is there any advantage (turbos spooling up, or other induction phenomena) to launch within a second, or wait deliberately 1-2 seconds?

2) Does "turning in" your mirrors help AT ALL (Yes/No/I don't know)

3) I've heard that aftermarket air-filters might give 2 HP or so over stock. What if you pull your stock filters out JUST FOR THE RUN? Specifically, the question is "Would your MAF signals get confused somehow, leading to bogging or some other unwanted result?" (Assume a clean track and minimum particle pollution)

4) If your GTR doesn't knock at all, and you add higher octane gasoline beyond what you're tuned for, what will happen? (No difference/slight power decrease/slight power increase) (Put aside contamination to Cats, etc.)

Any opinions are welcome.

Alexd

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
1. I don't think it matters, but try it both ways..

2. I personally don't think so and for me it is a distraction

3. I would never, ever, let dirty air into my engine. Leave the filters in ..

4. I don't think it helps, but I have never really experimented with it much on a GTR.. Others may have a better answer.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
1. I don't think it matters, but try it both ways..

2. I personally don't think so and for me it is a distraction

3. I would never, ever, let dirty air into my engine. Leave the filters in ..

4. I don't think it helps, but I have never really experimented with it much on a GTR.. Others may have a better answer.
1. Agree LC4, 1 second at 4000, or 5 seconds at 4000rpms, very similar launch.

2. I will sometimes do it, It might help aerodynamics, and yes it is a distraction, only when trying to run fast, If I try and cut a light, I keep the mirrors out, and kick the rear view mirror out of my line of sight of the tree.

3. Never run without an air filter, if anything metal gets into the front of the turbo, things are not looking good for you.

4. If you are running 0 knock, high octane fuel will not help you.

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

My own opinion is:

1) No advantage as far as boost. Do the clutches grab better or worse (or take extra wear), I don't know.

2) Looking at them, the mirrors seem to be "flatter" when turned in, maybe leading to slightly worse aerodynamics.

3) I know and agree with the danger.

4) My opinion is that with a carbureted engine...perfectly jetted at WOT with no knock on the usual gasoline...higher octane gas will SLIGHTLY decrease power. But, we have EFI; the question is whether the car will slightly adjust for the higher octane gas and possibly run the same or SLIGHTLY stronger (assuming toluene or other higher-density hydrocarbons are in the higher-octane gas...not just lead). Knida like a mini-version of E85 (which in its case, obviously needs additional tuning) Anyway, an opinion.

Alexd

·
Founder/Admin
26,259 Posts
1. its pretty much the exact same.... its more for timing and the driver being comfortable with when to initiate it

2. on a 1/4 at 125ish... its debatable at best.... im sure if you were doing a standing mile or something it might have a greater affect on the car...

3. yeah thats not even up for debate... and tuners on here will tell you its idles really rough without them on a dyno.... just put a set of K&Ns in for the runs if you want

4. the manual actually says use "ATLEAST" 93 octane for best performance...... ive ran mine down to a 1/8th tank a couple times and put a couple gallons of 100 in for the strip..... i trapped 124 and 125.5 that day...but others have been close to that aswell probably on 93 so....inconclusive.....

before you do all that... i would say pull your passenger seat out.... always run with 1/8th tank or less.... wait for a 50 degree say..... be one of the first to run at the event on fresh track prep.....

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
before you do all that... i would say pull your passenger seat out.... always run with 1/8th tank or less.... wait for a 50 degree say..... be one of the first to run at the event on fresh track prep.....
Thanks MC

For my purposes now, I don't want to pull the seat...but I will remove the floor mats and obviously everything in the trunk and glove-compartments, etc.
And removing window-washer fluid...and filled to slightly less than 1/8th, with a spare can of 104 adding 1/2 gallon between runs.

If I get my "pit-crew" together, and the weather cooperates, maybe I'll see 10.8 this weekend. Wish I had less-restrictive air-filters before then...

Alexd
2012 w/tune and mid-pipe
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.