Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I want my 2010 to run 130mph in the 1/4 @ full weight on 92 octane. My estimate is that ~600hp (crank) will be requirted to do this.

Here are the mods I plan to use to make it happen.

-Akrapovic Evolution Ti exhaust
-COBB AP with custom tune for 92 octane (open to tuner suggestions)
-2012 turbo inlet ducts (approx $500 IIRC) or Mines Titanium Suction Pipes.
-Some kind of low restriction air filters in the stock boxes.

Will this list of mods give me the power and speed I am looking for? I would really like to retain the stock DPs and air intakes unless I am leaving BIG
power gains on the table by not changing them. Maybe some upgraded Forge WG actuators to reduce boost-taper?

Does a better intercooler (thinking HKS or AMS) offer much benefit at this power level? Even though I am asking about 1/4 mile performance
the car will see quite a bit of open track lapping time so the tune needs to be semi-conservative. Don't worry, the brakes, tires and suspension will also be upgraded

Am I being realistic?

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can probably nudge the 600bhp with the stock boxes but personally i'd opt for a set of 3" intakes and 1000cc Injectors too, why make life hard on your turbos for the sake of another $500, plus they'll work a treat with the turbo inlet pipes.

But I would say you'll reach that 1/4mile target with a decent tune and exhaust mods only so save yourself a packet and just get those!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Depends on the track. At the Orlando track, you won't hit 130 mph in 85 deg weather as nobody has done it (top speed tune, boost logic, GTC, Titan) and it is with a lot more mod than your mod list (AMS front mount, 1000cc injectors, 3" intake, full exhaust). My experience you will need a lot more than 600 Hp. For me to run 130.5 mph at my local track,had ran [email protected] mph (10.43 on time sheet) on vbox in 500 DA.
An example, you will not trap 130 mph on the right lane at Orlando as it reads really low.
Church, if you come to Orlando, try our track out. Btw, I can't trap 130 mph with 60-130 of 7.57 s on the drag strip, it took a 7.29 s 60-130 mph to crack 130 mph at local track.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
intercooler won't do any good for you. instead go for a set of downpipes for some net whp gains.
other than that, your setup above with a good tune seems to be capable of your goals.

·
Sophisticated
2,980 Posts
Btw, I can't trap 130 mph with 60-130 of 7.57 s on the drag strip, it took a 7.29 s 60-130 mph to crack 130 mph at local track.
goonthree, have you been on a local Mustang dyno? What AWHP have you put down? I hit 130 on the V box in 75 degree weather a few times as well. I added the midpipe this summer so I haven't had a chance to do cold weather runs with it yet.

I highly doubt my car will run mid 7's 60-130 so if you came to PBIR you should be running 132-133 or so.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Never dyno the car. I did run twice at PBIR it was faster, but that is before I had more mods. I have done 7.12 (55 deg) 60-130 mph on the street, totally flat (up 2 ft), but best 7.29 (65 deg) on track.
I don't feel much difference in cooler weather, but vbox show it does improve!

goonthree, have you been on HP Logics dyno? What AWHP have you put down? I hit 130 on the V box in 75 degree weather a few times as well. I added the midpipe this summer so I haven't had a chance to do cold weather runs with it yet.

I highly doubt my car will run mid 7's 60-130 so if you came to PBIR you should be running 132-133 or so.

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
I would suggest you get a midpipe. Don't know if you would get to your goal without one as the inlet pipes and exhaust alone don't really do as much without the supporting mods around them.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have a 2010 with two mods. resonated AAM midpipe and a Jack Cecil HP Logic Tune.

My car trapped 129.8 in 83 degree heat. It should trap at least 131 this winter.

I am at sea level on 93 octane.
Fixed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would suggest you get a midpipe. Don't know if you would get to your goal without one as the inlet pipes and exhaust alone don't really do as much without the supporting mods around them.
The Akrapovic Evo Ti exhaust includes a catless midpipe.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions thus far.

Is there really that much power lurking in the stock downpipes? I wanted to leave the stock downpipes in place because I don't want a full catless exhaust.

Are new intake pipes with open filters going to add a lot vs better drop-in filters in the stock boxes?

The plan was to retain the stock injectors so I don't have do deal with finicky tuning of larger injectors. I have never driven a car with large injectors that runs as perfectly as a stock car :(

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions thus far.

Are new intake pipes with open filters going to add a lot vs better drop-in filters in the stock boxes?

The plan was to retain the stock injectors so I don't have do deal with finicky tuning of larger injectors. I have never driven a car with large injectors that runs as perfectly as a stock car :(
Yes, a considerable increase in power versus stock airboxes.

Larger injectors such as Injector Dynamics 1000cc will retain the stock drivabilty. You would not be able to tell even the slightest difference between stock and ID 1000's.

Some reading for you to do. http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?/topic/60428-gotboost-3-intakes-now-available/ Independent customers dyno results on posts #103 and #131.

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts

Is there really that much power lurking in the stock downpipes?
That is awesome about the Akra, I didn't realize that was the case.
As for the downpipes, their removal with the other mods in place will yield 30 - 40 whp (I got 37 with the new tune).

I would not go catless unless you also do injectors and an e85 tune. My guess is that the smell will make you miserable.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
+1, You can max out stock injectors and mass air sensor without downpipe on stock intake.

That is awesome about the Akra, I didn't realize that was the case.
As for the downpipes, their removal with the other mods in place will yield 30 - 40 whp (I got 37 with the new tune).

I would not go catless unless you also do injectors and an e85 tune. My guess is that the smell will make you miserable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great info

Yes, a considerable increase in power versus stock airboxes.
Like XXwhp?

Larger injectors such as Injector Dynamics 1000cc will retain the stock drivabilty. You would not be able to tell even the slightest difference between stock and ID 1000's.
Seriously? I suppose it depends who does the tune ;) Is there a good thread that deals with custom tuner suggestions for AP maps?

That is HUGE. Now I am tempted...

Exactly why I don't want to go catless. So what is a power-hungry guy to do? Maybe catless DPs and a catted midpipe?

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
Great info

Like XXwhp? Look at my post.... I gave you a link to read about it.......varies with supporting mods.

Seriously? I suppose it depends who does the tune ;) Is there a good thread that deals with custom tuner suggestions for AP maps? There are quite a few good tuners on here. Tim Bailey from Cobb, Chris Black AMS, Jack Cecil HP Logic, etc.

That is HUGE. Now I am tempted... Also depends on supporting mods

Exactly why I don't want to go catless. So what is a power-hungry guy to do? Maybe catless DPs and a catted midpipe? Cobb catted midpipe, AMS catless DP's are my suggestions.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I want my 2010 to run 130mph in the 1/4 @ full weight on 92 octane. My estimate is that ~600hp (crank) will be requirted to do this.

Here are the mods I plan to use to make it happen.

-Akrapovic Evolution Ti exhaust
-COBB AP with custom tune for 92 octane (open to tuner suggestions)
-2012 turbo inlet ducts (approx $500 IIRC) or Mines Titanium Suction Pipes.
-Some kind of low restriction air filters in the stock boxes.

Will this list of mods give me the power and speed I am looking for? I would really like to retain the stock DPs and air intakes unless I am leaving BIG
power gains on the table by not changing them. Maybe some upgraded Forge WG actuators to reduce boost-taper?

Does a better intercooler (thinking HKS or AMS) offer much benefit at this power level? Even though I am asking about 1/4 mile performance
the car will see quite a bit of open track lapping time so the tune needs to be semi-conservative. Don't worry, the brakes, tires and suspension will also be upgraded

Am I being realistic?
See my post. I have a 2012 with an HKS midpipe, GotBoost 3" intakes, and Cobb AP. On 91 octane I put down 537whp, and on a 91/100 octane mix it put down 559whp. This would meet and exceed your goals. Car was tuned by the master himself, Jon at Cobb So Cal.

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?/topic/62711-my-2012-gt-r-tuned-at-cobb-so-cal/

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
Exactly why I don't want to go catless. So what is a power-hungry guy to do? Maybe catless DPs and a catted midpipe?
That will work or just convert to e85 fuel (since you may need new injectors either way, depending on your power goals) and the smell will not be an issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Cobb catted midpipe, AMS catless DP's are my suggestions.
Good idea! Hopefully the quality of the Cobb cats are up to the task and won't melt or fall apart after extended track use.

I have a 2012 with an HKS midpipe, GotBoost 3" intakes, and Cobb AP. On 91 octane I put down 537whp...
Impressive power! Once the 2012 turbo intake pipes are fitted to a 2010 and all other mods are equal, is there any technical reason why a 2012 would make more power than an '09 - '11 model?

I noticed plenty of owners have changed to Walbro fuel pump and 860cc or 1000cc injectors. Is there a general WHP guideline for when the stock injectors max out on 91 octane? Is 550whp (Dynojet)
realistic with the stock fuel system?

·
<"))))><
3,706 Posts
Impressive power! Once the 2012 turbo intake pipes are fitted to a 2010 and all other mods are equal, is there any technical reason why a 2012 would make more power than an '09 - '11 model? Not that I know of.

I noticed plenty of owners have changed to Walbro fuel pump and 860cc or 1000cc injectors. Is there a general WHP guideline for when the stock injectors max out on 91 octane? Is 550whp (Dynojet) realistic with the stock fuel system? I ran out of fuel at 525whp (DynoDynamics). My guess is that there is no firm rule given that tuners run differing lean/rich tunes that result in different hp / injector loads.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.