Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Anyone on here feel like they made a mistake or spent too much on mods and when the car was done it just didn't seem worth it, or you did too much to where it's not enjoyable to daily Drive ? Or the big thing is resale ! After you spent 60 grand on your car you realize you'll never get even half that back.
Don't get my wrong I love my car but don't know if I would mod it soo much if I had to do it all over again.

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
Hell No !!! Give it some time. Buyers' remorse sucks but you'll get over it. Mount the gopro backwards and have some fun !!

Yours should daily as good as a stock dba. If it doesn't, have your tuner spend some time on the part throttle tables. I know mine was a day and night difference.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just you get to the point where It gets so expensive when you have to worry about on the gear that's like $7000 I need axles that's another couple thousand dollars now what about the front differential I'm I gonna break that! Lol agggggg

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
At what point of modification are you referring to? FBO type stuff or big build stuff?

Have an opinion on mine but dont want to clutter your thread if its only full build related.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
duckbill trunk. i missed having a wing, it makes the car look complete in my opinion. now i kinda miss the duckbill! i wish it was like a lego piece to where i could just snap on snap off in a couple minutes between a duckbill and wing

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
A lot of it comes down to use. You won't break a front diff or axles doing 60-130's or highway pulls. It's shorts in the 1.3-1.4 range and more like 1.3's that really need the beef behind it to support it.

I didn't do axles and I'm not worried one bit on how I use the car. I'm doing them at end of season just so I can shoot for an 8. Really no need other than that.

Besides your going to go to track and run in the mid 9's with a soft launch on wastage and get booted from the track anyways lol.

At 150+ you need a cage and a chute ;).

Have fun with it and don't worry about the axles and front diff. It's built to take it.

VDC off FTW.

I roll out at 2800 on 20" R888's and have less stress than when I was fbo e85 (1.6x vs 1.5x 60's).

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Assuming FBO mods inclusive in this discussion. Gonna be heresy, but not overwhelmed by upgrade to flex fuel/E85 now that i have driven it on second tank. Had more boost on 91 tune and dont really feel the difference everyone raves about. Could be the fact that i have yet to see more than 62% ethanol content but thought the improvement would be noticeable at as little as 50%. Maybe its just not dialed in yet - all new territory so im not sure...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Assuming FBO mods inclusive in this discussion. Gonna be heresy, but not overwhelmed by upgrade to flex fuel/E85 now that i have driven it on second tank. Had more boost on 91 tune and dont really feel the difference everyone raves about. Could be the fact that i have yet to see more than 62% ethanol content but thought the improvement would be noticeable at as little as 50%. Maybe its just not dialed in yet - all new territory so im not sure...
Do you know what your car put down on the dyno for 91 and then for e85?

·
Hey girl, you got a soccer ball? Thought maybe we
925 Posts
The only regret would be not having enough money where this type of stuff maters. If you had for example millions of dollars then who gives a shit? Focus on making more money so you never have any regrets. I know this comes off as cocky, not my intentions. I built my car, it's sitting getting worked on again due to possibly being fucked but I'm ok with it. Also not saying I have millions of dollars but you get the idea lol.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
duckbill trunk. i missed having a wing, it makes the car look complete in my opinion. now i kinda miss the duckbill! i wish it was like a lego piece to where i could just snap on snap off in a couple minutes between a duckbill and wing
This

I have a duckbill trunk laying in my garage and I can't bring myself to take off the OEM trunk because I like both looks.

What have I done. Waste of money. Lol

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Do you know what your car put down on the dyno for 91 and then for e85?
Not yet. Planned to just dyno a few runs on E85 to see where it's at, but now thinking I should do a run on 91 with the tank almost empty, then fill with E85 and do another one to see if there's a difference. Rather not do two sessions since the dyno shop I'd like to use is RWD only and my installer will charge me to drop the front drive shaft each time. And I want the runs to be as close as possible for all other variables so it's only the fuel difference.

·
Registered
9,691 Posts
^^ you did get it retuned right ? 91 octane to 112+ octane (E85) you will feel the difference.

From 91 to E85 you should see conservatively 80awhp

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Yes, retuned to FF. I don't DD my car, so the initial response to first tank was that I felt a difference, although it was slight. Now, not so sure. Or I got used to it REALLY quick. Tempted to get a vbox to do timed comparisons between 91 and E85. Don't get me wrong, it is still an exhilarating ride, just don't feel an earth-shattering difference as advertised thus far compared to my previous 91 tune.

Like I said earlier, could be due to not hitting anywhere near 85% yet. Also consider I'm at 5500'. Almost down to empty again, so will go back to 91 on the next fill and see if I notice a butt-dyno decrease.

·
GTRLIFE BOTM August 2015
1,042 Posts
I wouldn't say I have regrets....but I have looked back and questioned how ridiculous it all is. it's easy to get caught up in the whole thing and I'm very glad I did not go bigger. I think I'm at the sweet spot where not many people have that much HP, yet it isn't a reliability bomb or trailer queen either. I DD mine, but I think I will add another car to the stable (I will keep it stock whatever it is) so I can rotate. It will help peanut butter all the miles and remind me more how awesomely insane this thing really is.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I hated my aftermarket catless downpipe and midpipes initially because of all the soot and smoke, but e85 solved that.

should have got a resonated midpipe though. the car drones a bit on the hwy.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Although they look better, 2015 headlights and taillights are overpriced for what you get. Aftermarket exhaust is also a rip off with no real power increase and disappointing increase in sound over jsut a mid pipe. Wish I had done neither and saved myself 7k

·
Registered
386 Posts
My mods are light compared to most, and I still have regrets some days. Sometimes I regret the fact I spent a bunch of money (which pales in comparison to some of the builds on here,) on mods that arguably diminish the value of the vehicle. Some days I fret when the car makes an odd sound from the engine or transmission and I worry that something is about to break. But most days I enjoy the car very much and have no regrets at all!

·
Sophisticated
2,980 Posts
I learned most of my mod lessons on Supra's. I ended up disliking my heavily modded ones and loved the BPU+ one's. It's all about drive-ability and reliability IMHO.

I stuck with a tune and downpipe on my GT-R and the car incapable of 10.5 @ 130mph. I slapped on four Michelin PSS's 255/295 and the it's quiet and smooth.

The car is quiet when I want it to be and loud when I'm on the throttle hard. No drone. No stink. No hum from R888's. Just as reliable as stock.

If you want a faster GT-R but still want the drive-ability of a tune and midi car then upgrade your injectors, pumps, intake and go E85 but KEEP your stock downpipes. You will have a 10.1 second car @ 135mph. Sleepdoc proven.

·
Registered
321 Posts
This

I have a duckbill trunk laying in my garage and I can't bring myself to take off the OEM trunk because I like both looks.

What have I done. Waste of money. Lol
you done goofed m8. i ordered an oem spoiler before seeing the car in person now I'm stuck trying to sell it

1 - 20 of 99 Posts