Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

im about to switch to motec and whilst I could ask my future tuner some of these questions I’d prefer to ask here first as I’m not yet his customer….until the m150 arrives and a date is booked in.

my chosen tuner specifically tunes race cars for circuit racing events and is one of the premier motec tuners here in Australia. I have no doubt he has a lot of experience and could answer all my questions - but I also want to learn for myself.

The questions I have are as follows hopefully I can get some insights:

1. Currently on Cobb I can adjust launch control with the AP. With the motec the AP will become redundant? what is the best way to then adjust the launch control rpm’s? Or should I set up a keypad with some rpm adjustments for LC?

2. Our cars have the traction control normal, R and VDC OFF - the motec traction control algorithms are so much better than stock from all the research I have done - would this switch then become redundant or would one use this to program 3 different motec traction control strategies?

or would you keep these and then have separate motec traction control

3. Probably the most important thing I want to understand is the affect of the tcm tune I currently have in the car. Once the m150 goes in - will this tcm tune revert back to stock?

Or do I need to remove the Cobb tcm tune that is on the car at the moment?

4. Based on everything the m150 should be talking to the tcm - so it would be best to revert back to stock tcm tune so the tuner could rework everything from the motec tune?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Motec will make the Cobb AP useless along with any tuning that you are currently using - TCM and ECU.

You can have maps setup for different traction strategies and/or adjust on the “fly” via a laptop

Traction control has a much higher resolution, especially in the lower speeds than the stock ECU. Higher resolution means greater visibility of adjusting things before actual wheel slip.

Good luck.

Reactions: GAPZLA

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Motec will make the Cobb AP useless along with any tuning that you are currently using - TCM and ECU.

You can have maps setup for different traction strategies and/or adjust on the “fly” via a laptop

Traction control has a much higher resolution, especially in the lower speeds than the stock ECU. Higher resolution means greater visibility of adjusting things before actual wheel slip.

Good luck.
thanks for that - forgive my ignorance but just confirming I don’t have to flash back stock tcm tune?

I think my tuner and I will be using the 8 button keypad for launch control settings. From our initial chat we’ll have the 1 button control 3 traction control strategies.

I’m trying to think how to adjust launch cOntrol rpm with the keypad. Perhaps it would need to be an up and down function with hijack of the rpm gauge to adjust the launch rpm on the fly.

I wouldn’t want to have a laptop in the car adjusting things before a pass or after a pass….sometimes I go solo on a week night without support/friends joining along.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why are you buying a motec for a FBO car? Motec isn't gonna fix your issues on bad tires...
Firstly when did this post mention anything about the michelin tyres not being able to grip at the strip?

Why would you assume the motec isn’t future proofing?

How do you know everything that I’m doing to my car or my plans in the next few months?

if you’re not going to add any value at all - why bother with a reply?

FYI there is a reason my gearbox is fully rebuilt to hold 1200-1500hp and that I have a spare brand new block sitting at my workshop ready to be rebuilt….

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
I figured with your username you weren’t going to stay FBO for long lol.

Reactions: GAPZLA
1 - 8 of 8 Posts