1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Seems Legit
2,476 Posts
I always enjoy reading Motor Trends articles. Very professional and no BS.

Just sucks that they bumped up the price for the 2013 Models but it's still a budget super car like the article states

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Nice write up and the white...

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I always enjoy reading Motor Trends articles. Very professional and no BS.

Just sucks that they bumped up the price for the 2013 Models but it's still a budget super car like the article states
I'd still say they pander a little to certain companies, but overall I'd say MT is the best of the big three US auto mags.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
http://www.motortren...dition_arrival/

Apparently they picked one up as a long-term tester.

The #'s:

0-60mph: 2.8s
1/4m: 11.1 @ 124.8mph
Lateral acceleration: 1.03g

Pretty impressive car...and I really like the contrast of the white GT-R with the black wing and wheels on the test car.

Tom
0-60 in 2.8 seconds with or without 1 foot roll-out? If it includes the roll-out, then the real 0-60 is 2.9 seconds, and 0-100 km/h is just 3 seconds flat...

·
Registered
463 Posts
car and driver and RT are owned by the same people, i think. so it is refreshing to get MT take on cars. I get all three mags and like MT the best.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Nissan didn't bump up the price, the USD is simply buying less Yen

With the new trade agreement china and Japan now have, biggest trade agreement in history, and one where theyre using their own currency, expect Japanese cars to become alot more expensive to buy in USD very soon

·
Bone Stock
236 Posts
Nissan didn't bump up the price, the USD is simply buying less Yen With the new trade agreement china and Japan now have, biggest trade agreement in history, and one where theyre using their own currency, expect Japanese cars to become alot more expensive to buy in USD very soon
That would make sense if any of the other cars that Nissan sells had a corresponding price bump. Let me save you the trouble--they haven't. The Yen exchange rate probably has some small part to do with it, but I think that Nissan just realizes that they can sell the car for more than what they have been selling it for. Kinda like what happened to US MY2009 with the mid-term "price adjustment".

Anyway, that article was great to read. I'm sure they'll love the car, but my guess is some of the old guys will complain about the ride harshness and that they'll scoff at the maintenance costs.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
That would make sense if any of the other cars that Nissan sells had a corresponding price bump. Let me save you the trouble--they haven't. The Yen exchange rate probably has some small part to do with it, but I think that Nissan just realizes that they can sell the car for more than what they have been selling it for. Kinda like what happened to US MY2009 with the mid-term "price adjustment".
the increase is a percentage natch, so no a Nissan Micra wont cost 10K more than last year

also, Nissan US may not be so quick to increase the price of their bread and butter (read key profit making) cars due to risk of losing sales in a much more competitive market segment. They will wear the increase for as long as they can, or wait for their competitors to also follow with similar increases

it's business survival 101

google will give you plenty of these charts - so no, Nissan aren't trying to milk you for more money now, rather the result of a real market USD devaluation

also worth noting we too had a price increase in AUS as our dollar too is buying less Yen, however Nissan Aus got around this by now importing a lower/cheaper spec for 11/12 - our rrp is over 180k so you guys have no reason to complain

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I love when folks try to boil this down to one smoking gun. Truth is, it is both reasons and probably more. The changing exchange rate plays a part, but so does the fact that Nissan has put more development money into the car, added a few pricier parts, and, I would wager, decided to spread the cost to sale price just a little more. The fact remains, while not as much of a bargain as the early GT-Rs, the 2013 is still performance bargain compared against what it is stacked up against. Some would argue that the increase in cost has come in exchange for needed refinements to the car. I can tell you firsthand my 2012 is a much better car all-around than my 2009 was.

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
+ arent most other nissans made stateside unlike the GTR?
That is another factor. Although a corporation can spread costs around, the actual cost per gtr unit is going up because costs of manufacturing in Asia, and likely Japan are rising faster than in USA.
Meanwhile the product is inarguably getting more refined. In that way you always pay much more for the incremental but highly desired improvements in most high end products.
The crazy thing is the retained value of older models. I am pretty amazed by that. I attribute it to the rising cost of new ones in the rigid context of extremely limited supply, especially in the high demand markets. I don't recall ever seeing quite this same scenario before. The only thing I can think, beside corporate discipline which I doubt, is that the cars really are handmade so to speak and that that inherently limits availability.
If so, they are still a bargain relatively speaking.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Uh oh.

http://www.thetrutha...me-to-the-face/

Jack Baruth thinks this is a Nissan pay off.

I like this part

"Does any of this matter? One might suggest that the GT-R sells in such dismal numbers (877 units moved last year in North America) that it hardly matters if MT openly services Nissan's meaty awesomeness right out in the proverbial street."

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.