Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally they do it in August or early Sept. Does anyone know if they would do one this year?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep always right after best drivers car. They have all the updated cars in once place. Then they do the drag race.

·
Founder/Admin
26,231 Posts
but the race is never real. they use the individual tested times from each car reviewed and then its staged to finish in that order

·
Registered
641 Posts
not sure why thats a problem. You guys do realize that mag times for the 1/4 mile aren't done by dropping a flag and crossing a line right? The time they quote adds a 1 foot rollout, weather correction, altitude correction, surface correction, etc.. A dusty concrete airport runway is going to give different times than a prepped drag strip or asphalt road.

·
Registered
138 Posts
not sure why thats a problem. You guys do realize that mag times for the 1/4 mile aren't done by dropping a flag and crossing a line right? The time they quote adds a 1 foot rollout, weather correction, altitude correction, surface correction, etc.. A dusty concrete airport runway is going to give different times than a prepped drag strip or asphalt road.
Although I believe that to be true, how come in one of the drag races the GTR ran 11.0 but the next year it ran 11.2?

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
536 Posts
but the race is never real. they use the individual tested times from each car reviewed and then its staged to finish in that order
Another supposedly "real world" comparison test that bites the bullet. Good question on the different times for the gtr run 11.0 vs 11.2?

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
fact or fiction they are fun to watch!

·
Registered
923 Posts
The race is real mc, the times aren't.
On this surface a 991 turbo s will not run 10s for example.

·
Founder/Admin
26,231 Posts
The race is real mc, the times aren't.
On this surface a 991 turbo s will not run 10s for example.
It's real as in they are doing all the cars at the same time but like you said and I said the times arnt real that's what I'm getting at

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
On the comment 11.0 vs 11.2. Does every single GT-R run the exact same time every time? Why is it hard to fathom that comparing two different cars a year apart will net .2 difference in the 1/4 mile? Some have also said that 2013's are faster than newer ones too. Which I am sure is a factor too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
On the comment 11.0 vs 11.2. Does every single GT-R run the exact same time every time? Why is it hard to fathom that comparing two different cars a year apart will net .2 difference in the 1/4 mile? Some have also said that 2013's are faster than newer ones too. Which I am sure is a factor too.
If they actually ran them the yes, .2 could be feasible, but if they correct per the manufactures specs then why the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
By looking at parts 3 and 4 it shows the GT-R track edition having a better 1/4 mile time in part 3 than the GT-R NISMO in part 4. Is that right? I have heard that the NISMO has a more gradual power increase when accelerating compared to a normal GT-R. Maybe that has something to do with it? Different programming?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hopefully they won't invite the Ford Focus or GTI again. They need to only invite the very fastest cars.

Sent from my SM-G925T using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Founder/Admin
26,231 Posts
By looking at parts 3 and 4 it shows the GT-R track edition having a better 1/4 mile time in part 3 than the GT-R NISMO in part 4. Is that right? I have heard that the NISMO has a more gradual power increase when accelerating compared to a normal GT-R. Maybe that has something to do with it? Different programming?
no its just a case of different cars tested on different days different conditions ect. MT tested the NISMO a second time different car different day and it ran a 10.9

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Oh I see. I just figured the 50 extra horsepower in the NISMO would run a little faster than that.

·
Founder/Admin
26,231 Posts
Oh I see. I just figured the 50 extra horsepower in the NISMO would run a little faster than that.
another interesting note on that car was the one tested that ran the 11.1 or whatever was the a pre production car that they commented on the leguna lap it felt a little down on power. during the head to head with the Z06 they were given a production car and it ran the 10.9. in good weather its a mid 10.8 car. I ran [email protected] and there was still a bit left on the table. its not much if any faster 0-60 than the best of the 2013s but it does excel more in overtaking speeds as the 60-130 is almost a half sec quicker than a normal GTR

·
Registered
641 Posts
11.0 vs 11.2 is close enough. maybe one car's tires were more worn, a driver was heavier, more heat in the tires, less tire pressure, etc. There are some variables they simply can't account for. Some magazines use rollout, some don't.

As for the nismo... The gear ratios are different, the suspension is different. there is a 50hp difference, but its even less at the wheels

·
Founder/Admin
26,231 Posts
Yeah Motortrend uses weather correction on all their times which sometimes hurts the time as much as it helps. Carlos lago from MT told me on twitter the NISMO ran a 10.9 raw 1/4 but on that day the weather correction bumped it up. So just an example of all those # you see are manipulated in some way

1 foot roll out is used on ALL 1/4 runs by everyone as it would be inaccurate without it. The contraversy is using it on 0-60 as a GTR acheives around 4.5 mph in that distance. Most US car magazines use it for that too or post both. Even Car manufactures use it too as a stock GTR cannot possibly for example do 0-60 in 2.7 without it. The standard is about .2 secs so 2.9. Now that it's become the accepted way of measurement quoting it without seems off. That is why magazines claim to play with all the # as a way to even the playing field and make a certain time recorded one day stack up to one another day which goes back to why showing the viewer the individual previously tested #s as the drag results

European companies like Porsche doesn't use it and that is why their factory claims seem conservative vs actual tests.

Also NISMO has identical transmission to standard car

1 - 20 of 56 Posts