Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my GT-R and after driving it 2,500 miles in the last 6 days I'm ready to give a little write-up of what I think about my new acquisition. My experience ranged from driving about 100 casual miles the first day. About 400 twisty/mountain miles the second day. 1000 or so mostly highway miles the third day. Another 800 mostly highway miles the fourth day. Going to the track on day 5 and putting in 3.5 half hour sessions. And a little more around town driving today, day 6.

First off: WOW

Secondly, the short version: This is an amazing car and everyone should have one. Ideally two if you have the means, one stripped and modified for the track and one for daily use.

Third, what would typically be fourth, the "cons": Before I continue heaping praise onto this car I do feel obligated to point out that there are some imperfections and hopefully increase my credibility by showing that I haven't just drank the GT-R punch and I'm not just here to massage Nissans balls.

Flaws:

The gearbox is clunky in traffic or at low speeds on slow acceleration.

Downshifting is a bit slow for my liking.

The car is WAYYYY too quiet from the factory.

The side mirrors are too high

I don't understand why the brake calipers are gold on all of the cars.

The rear Nissan badge is awful, but easily removed.

The two scoops in the front intake are completely functionless.

The interior is bland "Premium Edition"

I sit relatively close to the steering wheel and I have absolutely no place to rest my right arm.

The computer in the car is slow as hell switching from different programs, i. e. Radio to Map.

The door "handle" is horribly in the way of the window switches and the actual door lever. I need to angle my arm/hand around it to operate either.

Fourth, the good part: Why I love this car.

The car looks great. It's strong, aggressive, unique and certainly makes a statement. I've gotten a lot more looks and attention than I ever got in my Porsche, and I did quite a few visual mods to that car to make it stand out.

It was comfortable enough to drive 1800 miles in two days, which is quite amazing.

It pulls like hell from 0-80, goes really really fast from 80-130ish and goes really quite fast after that, although I wouldn't mind if it pulled a little harder up into the triple digits. Fastest I've seen is 171. Putting the power down in the lower gears is actually a little more difficult than I thought. After reading about how manageable and drivable the car is I expected it to have just enough power to comfortably control, but I learned quickly that the back end will kick out a bit if you push too hard and remind you to respect all the power under the hood.

The power comes on so quickly, it doesn't even feel like a turbo charged car. It's really an amazing how linear the power comes on and how smooth the upshifts are.

My biggest compliment has to be with the cars ability on the track. I went to New Jersey Motorsports Park and was able to really get a great feel for the GT-R's ability. The car is so nimble and forgiving and fast. It was almost impossible to really lose control if it, no matter how fast I took any corner I might understeer a little bit, but nothing that wasn't easily corrected. I was able to blow past a PDK turbo, a GT3RS and a tuned 09 GT-R like they were nothing. The only car on the track that could hang was a track dedicated and modified Z06 with a very experienced track rat at the wheel. C6 Z06 vs 2012 GT-R - Nissan GTR vs Corvette Z06 - YouTube

I tried attaching photos, but I just keep getting error messages about how the upload failed..

·
Founder/Admin
26,252 Posts
The two scoops in the front intake are completely functionless.
the passenger side goes to the oil cooler... the driver side is there to match the passenger from a design aspect

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the passenger side goes to the oil cooler... the driver side is there to match the passenger from a design aspect
huh, that's interesting. I only looked at the driver side. Thanks, for the correction.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I loved this . This car is phenomenal , and you can only really know how it feels by putting it in her place . Great video . Good to know that others actually love this car the same way I do

·
Registered
468 Posts
I tried attaching photos, but I just keep getting error messages about how the upload failed..
Your photos are probably over the 1GB maximum uploadable limit. Try resizing them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
How do you compare the 2012 vs your old 997 turbo?

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Wow, AJC, great video tha ks for sharing!

Cheese

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Congrats on the 2012 and great review.

Get a midpipe, it makes the car sound 100x better.

·
AMGfan
2,786 Posts
Welcome...great review...I can't really disagree with anything you have stated in your review...congrats again!

·
R36 Member
6,049 Posts
Flaws that I actually care about:

The gearbox is clunky in traffic or at low speeds on slow acceleration.

Downshifting is a bit slow for my liking.

The side mirrors are too high

The computer in the car is slow as hell switching from different programs, i. e. Radio to Map.

The door "handle" is horribly in the way of the window switches and the actual door lever. I need to angle my arm/hand around it to operate either.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the write-up. Look forward to your pics!
I look forward to them also, all the pics from my drive home are just not uploading for some reason. At some point in the next few weeks I'll do a professional shoot though. Just need to get a tint and get new side markers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Two more issues I forgot to list that I think are worth noting..

I hate that to put the car in PARK I have to go UP-LEFT-UP. A couple of times I almost got out of the car with it still in reverse.

It's horribly stupid that when I'm cruising around in automatic mode and I want to downshift that I have to click the paddle to switch to manual which doesn't effect the gears at all, and then click it again for each gear I want to drop. Such a waste of time and effort, the first click of the paddle should switch to manual mode AND drop the first gear at the same time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts