Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

My 2021 arrived at the dealer on Monday. White over red. They were FLOODED with calls and I was essentially rushed into starting the process. Nothing has been signed.

In between all of this I went to inspect a brand new 2021 Super Silver car, Route 46 Nissan in NJ. The paint quality was ATROCIOUS in places. Rough in the corners on the front bumper, quarter panel clear looked iffy.

And delving into forums, and numerous examples of clear coat flaking off with or without clear bras, one case with a poor guy and his 2015 using Trakktape, removing it the same night, only for the clear to come off.

Has ANYONE with a newer car had issues with Trakktape or a Clear bra WITH PROPER STEAM REMOVAL and clear coat coming off the front bumpers.

edit- backed out. Can’t risk it. Thanks for everything.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Amongst the real experts on here this is a very well known problem with Gtrs.
Just because you order the exact same Car 1:1 spec doesn‘t mean you get the same quality.
Sometimes U.S Spec cars tend to be better quality than E.U cars, sometimes it‘s the opposite.

Quality Issues often range from paintjob (which is horrible anyways compared to the competition)
Over Interior problems (leather and stitching quality)
I have personally seen Gtrs with top notch leather as in <250k exotics. Then I have seen some with horrific leather quality. The Original Nismo steering wheel in Alcantara wears so quickly.
The Recaro seats with the red sidebolstering in the DBA cars used to wear horrendously. The newer versions are far better.

In my experience the best quality Gtrs tend to be the Prestige Edition ones with Tan,Beige,red or Black full leather spec.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Out of the paint jobs the poorest quality seem to be the Red and metallic Black. The best and thickest paint is the Pearl White, which tends to have yellowish tint on some cars.
In general Nissan is better than the U.S manufacturers when it comes to paint but miles behind the European competition. Especially Lamborghini offers a great “Ad persona” program which every sportscar manufacturer should adapt.
Most important thing on any car is Paintjob.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Out of the paint jobs the poorest quality seem to be the Red and metallic Black. The best and thickest paint is the Pearl White, which tends to have yellowish tint on some cars.
In general Nissan is better than the U.S manufacturers when it comes to paint but miles behind the European competition. Especially Lamborghini offers a great “Ad persona” program which every sportscar manufacturer should adapt.
Most important thing on any car is Paintjob.
I’m in the US. All we have is the Premium which is the base car and the NISMO.
How do you know the Pearl White is the thickest or best?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guess I got lucky. Have a '15 Pearl White that has had XPEL on front clip and few other places for 6 years. I have steamed off 2 pieces and so far no issues. I have been unable to find paint flaws (my GT350 was loaded with them) or interior flaws. If zoom in on pic to rear bumper u can see yellowing PPF hence why doing it over.

20210716_085646.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have owned several Nissans over the years. I would say the cars built during covid are especially neglected. Picked up a 2021 Titan a few months ago. Built in date 12/2020. Thing has been at the dealer for several issues. Windshield was leaking air in the cabin (replaced windshield/seals), Passenger door leaking water in the rain (replaced passenger door seals 3 times, Than sent to body shop to get door adjusted), Speaker grill popped off, B-pillar plastic panel wasn't installed properly, missing clips, and currently has a loose steering column for which the parts are on National back order.

I imagine the workers have covid fatigue and are just not paying attention.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I’m in the US. All we have is the Premium which is the base car and the NISMO.
How do you know the Pearl White is the thickest or best?
Experience, seen many and know people that have extensive experience in aesthetic modding and tuning this particular platform.
It’s not only thickness (layers of paint) it’s also the texture itself. Nissan Paint is “soft”. Anyone here that ever owned a Nissan, knows how easy they swirl,scratch or wear. I own a M4 too (Yas Marina paintjob) no PPF nothing. BMW paint comes with superb Sun and swirl/scratch protection from factory. Much thicker and better quality paint than any Gtr.
I mentioned this to a friend pre Covid in San Diego during a rideout, out of 30 GTRs at least half of them had Sun Damage to paint& or interior.
The newer ones were fine obviously but you park one of these cars in the Socal Sun for a year, you’ll know it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I would pass OP and find another car you'll be happy with...jmho

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I have an 09 with SSilver and perfect..Don't take it.....fixing this color is impossible.........

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
I wouldn’t use BMW M cars as a shining example of quality paint from the factory. I think they are much worse than my CBA, but it is an early CBA.

Multiple Alpine white, Pearl white, Carbon black, Donnington greys over the years and they don’t last 2,000 miles with paint on the rockers or side skirts.

Don’t get me started with the shit windshields that pit like they are sand blasted after s single winter.

But those S63 and S55 variants are worth it in my opinion.

Back to topic - OP as asked above, how did the actual one you order look ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having issues. Super Silver is my favorite color for the R35. It's what I have on my 2014 and I try to keep it out of the sun when possible to preserve the OEM finish.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The cosmetics on these cars are, after all, nissan. Fit and finish has never been their marquee, not even close. Given what they want for these things new, its sort of silly to buy that way IMO - makes more sense to get a '17+ with a few miles (or if you prefer shifter-on-column and less sound deadening, a 2013+), do a real basic bolton build, and leave the difference you saved on doing that for e85 :). There are so many new things on the market that have drastically better paint, interior, sound deadening, and smoothness of operation that GTRs are really for doing bad things to good corners or built-to-race applications. Even the v10 people arent at this level of aftermarket engineering so its still an excellent platform to make something the factory won't. If you're looking for a daily, i suggest trying Audi - bunch of RS kit in the GTRs price range, all of which is miles head in "human experience," and in no way lacking on fun factor (personally believe the TTRS to be the single best all around car ever made).

·
Registered
986 Posts
Zero issues with my 50th paint...Audi TTRS has a great exhaust note for sure...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I had 2 2017 GT-R premium and Nismo and both paint jobs were perfected.
Pearl white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
The TTRS is a very nice looking car but but the GTR is just a whole other level. I have to say too, after test driving a 2020, after being in a FBO 2016, the new ones, in stock form are a FAR tamer, everyday feel from the steering, to the suspension, to the exhaust note, to the interior......they are a VERY livable day to day car. It was so quiet an smooth compared to my 2016. Yes it felt like a dog in power, but I'm simply talking about the experience. For what a new TTRS costs, and the fact that the full RS Dynamic is pretty stiff ride wise, I think GTR 2017 on up is going to surprise you for everyday driving.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Pretty but that "orange peel" really stands out!

Reactions: Automotive.Cocaine
1 - 20 of 22 Posts