Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hey guys, thought I'd post up my first impressions of the GTR after spending my first weekend with it. First of all, here's some info on the car:

2011 Premium, Gunmetal w/16,xxx on the clock
- Full front clip has a clear bra (Awesome)
- Has a $6k warranty that the previous owner bought, good til 2019
- Has midpipe/s, injectors, 3" intakes, and 91 tune by Ben Linney (Supposedly makes around 550/550 supposedly)
- Car is insanely clean. Previous owner was more anal than myself which is great
- Has a C7 Carbon Fiber package: side skirts, front lip, and rear diffuser

I had FFTEC do a complete PPI and pull compression, which was perfect (153/154 across all six). Everything was great minus the inside of the tires being about 80% worn and the front rotors had some wear and stress cracks.

Initially I was set on black but when I found the gunmetal and saw it in person... Way nicer than I imagined. Pictures do not do these cars justice, especially the gunmetal imo.

Anyways, I spent the weekend in San Francisco with the car and all I can say is wow. It is everything I expected plus more. I absolutely love the interior. The ONLY thing I don't like is the orange display on part of the dash because mine is an 11'. I love the door handles, both inside and out, I love the seats, the dash, the nav and all the custom screens, the steering wheel is nicer than I imagined it would be, and all the buttons feel solid and crisp. I even love how the windows roll up and down so smoothly.

At only 550/550 (est) to the wheels it's faster than I anticipated. Like everyone always says, it feels very planted. I got it up to 160mph and between 120-140mph multiple times and the car just wants to keep going. These were all 6th gear pulls at around 50% throttle. It feels just a tad slower than my silver Supra which was making 685rwhp at full boost. But the GTR is way smoother and obvs shifts 10x faster. The GTR has way more grip, the brakes are insanely better, the steering is better, just everything is better. Did I mention the brakes? Holy shit I about flew forward out of my seat a few times. Awesome

Here are a couple pics of my silver Supra:

Don't get me wrong, the MKIV Supra is an awesome car, but the GTR is better in almost every single way. Of course, it IS about twice the price. The main thing the Supra is great at is straight line top end stuff, and being able to handle a ton of power straight from the factory. Far more than the GTR. But I love tech and having a car that can do everything well, and I feel the GTR is that.

Here's a pic of my other Supra, blackie. Made about 840whp on e85, Now owned by Javier @ThatRacingChannel and I think makes somewhere in the 1,200's. This car did 167mph @Shiftsector in the half mile, not launching, and it was my first event. I think it was capable of 175-180mph. I had this one before I had the silver one

And just to add to a little of my background of which nobody probably cares about, here is a pic of my Evo X. Fully loaded, full bolt ons + tune, and some suspension mods. This car handles great and I really like the way they look. However, it was slow as hell in a straight line. That was my main complaint. Brakes are decent, nothing like the GTR's. I sold this a few days before I got the GTR

Here's a pic of my R33 that I had briefly until I sold it to purchase my black Supra. Odometer said just around 10k miles (7,xxxkm) and the interior was extremely clean so I almost believe it. Was not titled. So I only drove it a few times. Rev'd to like 8k iirc.

Okay now to a few pics of the R35!!!! I only have a couple and it looks stock minus the carbon fiber bits. But damn is this car clean and I just don't want to get out of it

At this point I'm going to just leave the mods and tune as they are and enjoy the car. If/when I want more power, I'll do fuel pumps, down pipes, and e85 with flex. But for now I'm doing the following:
- Hardwire Valentine 1 radar w/MirrorMount
- 15mm and 20mm spacers (For Aesthetics, as I don't want to spend the money on new wheels, and I actually like the stock ones!)
- Clear front corner markers
- New tires (Not sure what ones yet. Do people stick with run flats?)
- MAYBE Swift Spec R springs

Anyways, I'm amped to be part of the club and feel like the GTR was a nice progression from my previous cars. Will update my impressions as I spend more time with the car

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Nice write-up and welcome to the community!

I have the exact same background

·
Registered
461 Posts
Nice writeup! I'm from the evo community too and I miss my evo - but in all fairness I haven't picked up my gtr yet. I get my gtr next week and plan to compare the two harshly. I'll probably buy another evo as a 2nd toy becsuse right now I feel disconnected. Separation axienty, probably. Lol

Looks like no one runs the run flats. Most run MPSS or R888s. At your power level the MPSS are fine and will last much longer than the R888s will.

Welcome

Sent from my SM-G900V using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome man! Definitely moved up the ladder from Evo to supra and then the GTR! Also have gunmetal too love it!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice writeup! I'm from the evo community too and I miss my evo - but in all fairness I haven't picked up my gtr yet. I get my gtr next week and plan to compare the two harshly. I'll probably buy another evo as a 2nd toy becsuse right now I feel disconnected. Separation axienty, probably. Lol

Looks like no one runs the run flats. Most run MPSS or R888s. At your power level the MPSS are fine and will last much longer than the R888s will.

Welcome

Awesome. Thanks. I've been looking at the MPSS. Had them on my Evo X. We'll see what I decide to go with. Still doing research. Man once I drove the GTR I almost forgot the Evo X even existed lol. It's just on another level.

And thanks everyone else for the compliments. I'll be on here a ton researching and getting to know this car even better

·
Banned
1,568 Posts
Welcome enjoy! I came from an Evo as well. Feels like a toy compared to the GTR haha

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
First of all, thank you for including the Supra pics--one of my favorite cars of all time. Did you sell the silver one? Mind if I ask what you got for it? I am seriously considering purchasing one in the near future.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I pretty much did the same thing. I traded 2 cars for 1. I was worried I'd regret it, but it turns out that I don't.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha nice ^ Ya the GTR is on another level as far as sophistication, interior, handling, braking, everything. I love it. I don't know where I can go from here, like in a year or two if/when I want something different. GTR is at the top for sure.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Congrats man! Awesome review.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Great intro and review comparing the gtr to the supra and evo. I havent owned a supra or evo, so I like to hear about how they compare to our car. We all end up here though... in a gtr. I've owned a lot of imports and this car is by far the best of them. You are in good company on this forum, so welcome and enjoy your gtr in good health!

·
Registered
746 Posts
nice! I'd like to add an Mkiv supra to the stable one day... mine would have to have some HKS cams and a responsive single turbo

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ Most of them do haha. But actually the GSC cams are quite superior to the hks cams. I think the best turbo out right now for the MKIV is the pte 6867. Mine had a precision 6766 billet dbb. That thing sounded amazing with open dump. Didn't feel nearly as safe as the GTR though. I can't help to mention these brakes again. Crazy stopping power.

And thanks for the compliments guys. I'm just buying some little things here and there for it. And obviously thinking about driving it about 50 times per day haha

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Updated with a pic of my R33 that I forgot to put in there. The R35 is just slightly better ha

·
Registered
461 Posts
Figured I'd show some previous car love too. Car is the wingless in the 2nd pic. That was a day at the track with some of the shop cars.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ Nice. I almost picked up an Evo 9 a couple of times but never ended up doing so

·
Registered
461 Posts
I loved the IX. Not a fan of the X but if I get another evo it will likely have to be a daily and the X is better at that. Lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts