Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]I have only had very limited seat time in my GT-R and by no means can offer the technical comparisons of some of the talented peeps on here but wanted to share initial thoughts about this new Beast in my garage that has been lovingly granted room by my old standby -- a 2010 997.2 PKD Turbo with only 7k miles on the clock. I posted a picture of the two on here a month or so ago in the newbie section to introduce them. Performance wise they are each singularly as awesome as we have all read about and/or experienced, but in slightly different ways. I have to pinch myself and am thankful that I am so blessed with these "extras" in life and don't take them for granted. I have always been a 'car guy' and enjoyed tons of fun rides over the years but putting kids through double Ivy undergrad/med schools did away with my toy budget for a long bit -- so I really appreciate getting back to them these last few years. [/background]

[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]My Turbo is less sedate than my GT-R as they are currently set up for a couple reasons...one, because the BBi exhaust on the Porsche (best mod ever) makes it loud in a good normally aspirated GT car kind of way; and two, because the stock suspension on the Turbo never seems quite as planted as the GT-R always does --- that bonkers engine sitting aft of the axle in the P car creates that classic "wiggle" that can't entirely be engineered away by electronic nannies like torque vectoring and the like ---which makes it very "fun" depending on your definition of same. The GT-R is easier for me to drive harder without any sense of impending doom (lol) and although it seems slower because take up is slightly more linear and less frantic, it is def not slower. This makes for slightly lower blood pressure for my brisk runs in the GT-R vs the Turbo. Although Porsche touts their VTG assemblies as the cure for lag, the GT-R has them beat at this part of the equation. It is as linear as any normally aspirated hi-perf car I have ever had -- that makes it deceptively fast because take up is very smooth but seemingly endless. People (mostly snobby P car dorks) make a big deal out of "build quality" and interior this and that when trying to justify spending twice as much money (my TT was $171K sticker..I know..crazy) but none of that has ever really mattered to me so I won't comment there except to say that my Porsche sound system is maddening to operate...lol. [/background]

[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]The GT-R can be casually driven and is deceptively "calm" --- in fact, I can even get my wife to ride in it whereas she won't get in the Porsche with me. Some of you may view that as a +1 for the P car...but I like my wife. The Porsche feels much smaller (perhaps in part due to the GT2 carbon fiber seats), and way more intimate and tossable as compared to the GT-R although Turbos are certainly not light cars. The Porsche gets a slight nod in the braking department, mostly because the modulation is unreal in all P cars...but that feel as against the GT-R is certainly also a function of vehicle weight...either way, both are stellar and I have no complaints on how well the GT-R hauls me down, especially so considering the heft of the car. I am only talking street speeds here so don't have any track experience. My guess is I would, for a number of reasons, really start to love the GT-R if I get it to the track and start to compare times vs the Porsche. [/background]

[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]Now for some non-performance related observations. I am completely ignored when I drive the Turbo and that is great because I am older and don't want the attention. To the contrary, I AM MOBBED CONSTANTLY WHEN IN THE GT-R!!!!! [/background]
[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]It is crazy. People jump out of cars at stoplights to take pics or shoot video ALL THE TIME...absolutely insane. I have had grown men pull over and get out of their cars at gas stations to ask me what it is...haha. I realize I may not be the target demographic for this car as most of the people that are yelling and waiving are two generations behind me. Some of this mania that I experience may have to do with the fact that I live in the middle of nowhere in fly over country and there are probably only a handful of these cars in town. It is like being a rock star of sorts...very disconcerting...so much so that I have taken to driving the car only late at night as I usually only get it out once every couple weeks or so anyway. It is still a real struggle to pick a set of keys though...gosh I like both of these cars so much. [/background]

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Great comparison.

Enjoy em both!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The attention is sort of surprising seeing that you have a gun metal gray. Maybe debage the car and get a vanity plate that says mustang lol?

[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]I have only had very limited seat time in my GT-R and by no means can offer the technical comparisons of some of the talented peeps on here but wanted to share initial thoughts about this new Beast in my garage that has been lovingly granted room by my old standby -- a 2010 997.2 PKD Turbo with only 7k miles on the clock. I posted a picture of the two on here a month or so ago in the newbie section to introduce them. Performance wise they are each singularly as awesome as we have all read about and/or experienced, but in slightly different ways. I have to pinch myself and am thankful that I am so blessed with these "extras" in life and don't take them for granted. I have always been a 'car guy' and enjoyed tons of fun rides over the years but putting kids through double Ivy undergrad/med schools did away with my toy budget for a long bit -- so I really appreciate getting back to them these last few years. [/background]

[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]My Turbo is less sedate than my GT-R as they are currently set up for a couple reasons...one, because the BBi exhaust on the Porsche (best mod ever) makes it loud in a good normally aspirated GT car kind of way; and two, because the stock suspension on the Turbo never seems quite as planted as the GT-R always does --- that bonkers engine sitting aft of the axle in the P car creates that classic "wiggle" that can't entirely be engineered away by electronic nannies like torque vectoring and the like ---which makes it very "fun" depending on your definition of same. The GT-R is easier for me to drive harder without any sense of impending doom (lol) and although it seems slower because take up is slightly more linear and less frantic, it is def not slower. This makes for slightly lower blood pressure for my brisk runs in the GT-R vs the Turbo. Although Porsche touts their VTG assemblies as the cure for lag, the GT-R has them beat at this part of the equation. It is as linear as any normally aspirated hi-perf car I have ever had -- that makes it deceptively fast because take up is very smooth but seemingly endless. People (mostly snobby P car dorks) make a big deal out of "build quality" and interior this and that when trying to justify spending twice as much money (my TT was $171K sticker..I know..crazy) but none of that has ever really mattered to me so I won't comment there except to say that my Porsche sound system is maddening to operate...lol. [/background]

[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]The GT-R can be casually driven and is deceptively "calm" --- in fact, I can even get my wife to ride in it whereas she won't get in the Porsche with me. Some of you may view that as a +1 for the P car...but I like my wife. The Porsche feels much smaller (perhaps in part due to the GT2 carbon fiber seats), and way more intimate and tossable as compared to the GT-R although Turbos are certainly not light cars. The Porsche gets a slight nod in the braking department, mostly because the modulation is unreal in all P cars...but that feel as against the GT-R is certainly also a function of vehicle weight...either way, both are stellar and I have no complaints on how well the GT-R hauls me down, especially so considering the heft of the car. I am only talking street speeds here so don't have any track experience. My guess is I would, for a number of reasons, really start to love the GT-R if I get it to the track and start to compare times vs the Porsche. [/background]

[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]Now for some non-performance related observations. I am completely ignored when I drive the Turbo and that is great because I am older and don't want the attention. To the contrary, I AM MOBBED CONSTANTLY WHEN IN THE GT-R!!!!! [/background]
[background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]It is crazy. People jump out of cars at stoplights to take pics or shoot video ALL THE TIME...absolutely insane. I have had grown men pull over and get out of their cars at gas stations to ask me what it is...haha. I realize I may not be the target demographic for this car as most of the people that are yelling and waiving are two generations behind me. Some of this mania that I experience may have to do with the fact that I live in the middle of nowhere in fly over country and there are probably only a handful of these cars in town. It is like being a rock star of sorts...very disconcerting...so much so that I have taken to driving the car only late at night as I usually only get it out once every couple weeks or so anyway. It is still a real struggle to pick a set of keys though...gosh I like both of these cars so much. [/background]

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
Same here. Currently live in a POS, po-dunk town in southern Alabama where most people honestly think it's an Altima with a body kit. If I didn't leave the Nissan "burger" on the back, the car would have no chance of even being thought of. Of course the tweens mob the car (twice today already), but yea, it's been called both a Mustang and a Corvette before. Nauseating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts