Nissan GT-R Forum banner

My GT-R got TOTALED!

9K views 77 replies 57 participants last post by  3zero7 
#1 ·
I'm so upset right now that I don't even really want to type this...

My brother who has driven my cars dozens of times asked if he could take my car to the store to pickup some things for our business. A couple of minutes later I get a call from him screaming for me to come down the road. I arrive and find my car buried in bushes. The front of the car went right into a stone wall and the back of the car [where the gas cap is] got wrapped around a telephone pole. The airbags went off, control arms snapped, and the wheels were facing 90 degrees sideways from where they should be. I have pictures but will only post them up later after insurance issues are sorted out.

Most important thing is that my brother is OK. Not one broken bone. A TRUE testament to the GT-R. If this happened in something like a Corvette I am afraid the outcome would not be so pleasant. No other cars were involved. My brother just lost control of the car and did a 180 across the median and into a wall. Something else to note is that the Stillen front lip was still attached even though the front bumper is destroyed. You will all see when I share the pictures.

Well once insurance gets this whole mess cleaned up and my car gets officially declared totaled and I get reimbursed, I need to get a new car. I need to seriously think this over because I am starting fresh and I want to make sure I make the right decision.

Do I get another GT-R? If deals on the 2012's are good I may go for that. OR if I can come across a 09/10 GT-R with maybe a built transmission and all the supporting mods that might be the route for me. No matter what, I want the car to be at least as fast as the one I just lost. I believe my GT-R was capable of around 140mph traps so I need it to be at least that fast. If anybody knows of any GT-R's for sale that are nicely built but still in a good cheap price range [AKA not the alpha 9 for 102k lol] please let me know.

My other options are to get a car that is a bit more extreme and also have a decent luxury car. Maybe lease something like a Range Rover which I can daily drive and use for work. Then for the weekends or for the races I use my hardcore car.

Maybe I should go back to American muscle like I used to have? Dodge Vipers are going for dirt cheap. I've seen ones with built motors and in good condition going for around $50k. Twin Turbo Viper on slicks might be a truly wild ride. Maybe a Corvette with an LSX block so that I can get over 1000whp on pump? I had a Vette previously and the car was fantastic.

Of course, nothing beats the all around performance and versatility of the GT-R. I'm just not sure if I want to buy another GT-R and put it in the shop and get another round of mods, invest a ton of money [which I JUST did over the spring time], and have the same car I just lost.

Sorry for the long ramble. I'm looking forwards to all the responses and help. THANKS BROS!

Edit: please note that I am thrilled my brother is OK and nothing happened. It could have been 10x worse and resulted in something truly tragic. Please let this be a lesson for those with modded GT-R's to make sure you load a low-boost tune when letting somebody else drive your car. IMO the GT-R is the easiest car to drive fast and I never would have thought something like this could happen. I couldn't crash the car if I tried. But it did happen so please just be careful when handing the keys to your children, relatives, spouse, etc.

See less See more
#10 ·
Go cammed Z06 and then get yourself a second "luxury" car for your bro to drive

Glad he's ok.

Here's what happened to me before I got my current car thanks to a box truck paying no attention:
Thanks for sharing bro. If I were to go with another GT-R I'd probably get white just like you

BTW I had cammed Z06 already. Badass car but I want turbos

#8 ·
Came off an offramp from a parkway onto a main US route. Went too fast on the offramp, hit the throttle, did a 180 across the median and wound up in a telephone pole. I can't really wrap my head around it either since the car sticks to the ground like glue. I have a feeling he was going VERY fast and didn't know what to do when the tail kicked out. Not sure exactly and I probably will never know the truth. He claims he stopped at the stop sign and hit the gas and was spun wildly out of control which makes no sense, so yeah. Who knows?

#9 ·
Dude, sorry to hear about that! Really glad to hear your brother is OK. Fingers crossed insurance claim goes off without a hitch.

I agree with you that the GTR is an easy car to drive. That is only because (having driven it regualarly at speed) one gets to the "feel" of the GTR and its capabilities. It's not to be assumed that just anyone can jump into a modified GTR (or even a stock one) and find it easy to drive. I've taken Evo and Subbie drivers with very modified cars and made them cry for their mamma without even going full throttle!

My point is the GTR is a whole different ball game, and although we find it easy to drive, doesn't mean to say someone else will.

Having said that. I don't let anyone drive my GTR!

#11 ·
Dude, sorry to hear about that! Really glad to hear your brother is OK. Fingers crossed insurance claim goes off without a hitch.

I agree with you that the GTR is an easy car to drive. That is only because (having driven it regualarly at speed) one gets to the "feel" of the GTR and its capabilities. It's not to be assumed that just anyone can jump into a modified GTR (or even a stock one) and find it easy to drive. I've taken Evo and Subbie drivers with very modified cars and made them cry for their mamma without even going full throttle!

My point is the GTR is a whole different ball game, and although we find it easy to drive, doesn't mean to say someone else will.

Having said that. I don't let anyone drive my GTR!
Absolutely! Great post. I've come from powerful RWD manual cars so the GT-R is a breeze to drive and race. I took it for granted that not everybody is accustomed to high hp cars regardless of how easy we think they are to drive.

#17 ·
Young but not Skyliner young so he should be old enough and mature enough to handle a car like this. He doesn't have my experience but he has had his share of high horsepower rwd racing and drifting before so its not like he went from driving miss daisy to being thrown into a 800hp GT-R. IMO it was probably very high speed and not enough experience to know what to do when you lose traction. He was going way too fast for the turn and panicked when the car started to drift. This is how I think it happened. He says that the car had too much torque and just spun him sideways from a standstill which we all know is complete BS and really annoys me since he wrecked my car, the least he could do is tell the truth. I even saw some tire marks on the off-ramp and it is pretty obvious that he was driving like a complete a$$hole. At this point it's irrelevant. He is alive and unscathed. My car is destroyed. So I'm just trying to make the best out of this situation and mitigate the damages.

#18 ·
wow, that is a mess, glad everyone is ok, but no way that happened from just hammering it off the line......

#21 ·
Thank you brother. The car looks much worse in person and in some other pics you can see how horrible the right side of the car looks. The front right control arm is completely snapped off and the wheel is just hanging there.

Something else to note about the GT-R was that even though the wheels were completely bent and the car is in ruins, all 4 runflats were still fully inflated. The bodyshop was also in awe over the condition of the interior and how well the GT-R keeps its driver and passengers protected. Something else to note was that even though the motor was smoking and the drivetrain is in shambles, I was able to turn the ACC on and get the power windows to roll up and get the car into neutral. I also was able to steer the left wheel so that the tow truck operator could load the car onto the flatbed.

#20 ·
Man that hurts, im sorry for your loss. Such a sick car...the guys at akuma talked about it all the time. At least your bro is ok. Time to start looking for 2012's.

#22 ·
Sorry to read what happened. The black box will tell you what really happened.

#25 ·
Thanks! Many options...only reason I wouldn't go for another GT-R is just because I want something different and I don't want to go through the modding process again. We will see!

#27 ·
Get another GTR. If you don't, you'll regret it ...

I know from experience

#28 ·
Your brother is ok, so thank god for that.

Now go out and get that New C63 AMG Black Series. It will help you forget the last car.

#31 ·
1) I loved the comment about the Stillen lip

2) I'm glad no one was injured
3) your brother needs a beating
4) consider buying the scrap and pulling parts
5) my philosophy on this car has been the same since day one... Whenever it's looked like i'm about to get creamed I say "oh well, now I can buy a 2012". Strangely, that mantra has kept me calm in some tight and hairy driving situations. You already know what you are going to do, anything else would just be a temporary distraction on your way back to another GTR.
6) good luck and be safe

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
glad your bro was fine ! , it sounds to me he was going way too fast around a turn and lost control..

if he had the VDC on , he would not be able to spin the tires off the line..

get another GTR! I love all your racing videos !

#35 ·
+1 thank you my friend. Yeah the GT-R really has left me with high standards. And the way it held together and kept my brother safe really proves that the extra weight is there for a reason. The R35 platform is SOLID.

#36 ·
I would definitely look at the bright side. Your brother is OK. If I remember correctly, your car recently had some paint chips because of hail? Maybe not.

Anyway - I would definitely recommend getting the '12 GTR. It would make me jealous. I'm not sure how you can beat it with any other cars out there, unless you are an extremely high-roller!

#37 ·
Wow... Glad no one was hurt...

I agree... Get another GTR.

#38 ·
Sorry about your car. I totaled mine with a passenger amd we both got out without a scratch. That is a good reason to buy another GTR. See if you can find one already modded. Also, get the parts off your car including the floor mats, etc. My insurance company kept saying we can fix it. As we all know if you bend it bad it's way to expensive to repair. They finally totaled it about a month later. Good luck on your next purchase. I agree with the others, GTR only. Valet mode for your bro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.