Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have Espree down pipes and T1r non resonated mid pipe with stock rear section exhaust and mufflers.
I'm getting ready to enter the 550 wheel hp club and it seams that my stock mufflers are going to create a big restriction.
Problem is that my car is a daily driver an its already too loud and gets me in trouble.
Dont get me wrong it sounds awsome but I think it gets too much attention.
Has any one tried a reasonably priced cat back thats not loud?

T1r has a reasonably priced cat back but I dont know how much louder it will be?

I have already spent too much money on other mods so i'm also trying to keep the cost down.
Another option would be to get a used cat back and then have a muffler shop weld a high flow muffler into my exsiting mid pipe to keep the noise level down.
Ive heard that the resonated mid pipes are not quieter, they only reduce droning.

does anyone have a solution?

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts
I have Espree down pipes and T1r non resonated mid pipe with stock rear section exhaust and mufflers.
I'm getting ready to enter the 550+ wheel hp club and it seams that my stock mufflers are going to create a big restriction.
Problem is that my car is a daily driver an its already too loud and gets me in trouble.
Has any one tried a reasonably priced cat back thats not loud?

T1r has a reasonably priced cat back but I dont know how much louder it will be?

I have already spent too much money on other mods so i'm also trying to keep the cost down.
Another option would be to get a used cat back and then have a muffler shop weld a high flow muffler into my exsiting mid pipe to keep the noise level down.
Ive heard that the resonated mid pipes are not quieter, they only reduce droning.

does anyone have a solution?
I have the T1R catback combined with a HKS resonated midpipe. Sounds great and is not too loud, but it's not going to be any quieter than the stock catback. I had just the mid-pipe change at first but wanted less restriction for my hp level, and some more sound. I don't have aftermarket downpipes though, and that's what's causing your car to be so loud.

The biggest drawback to the T1R catback is the weight. Stock is 38 lbs and the T1R is 53lbs! Built quality and fitment is excellent though.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I have the T1R catback combined with a HKS resonated midpipe. Sounds great and is not too loud, but it's not going to be any quieter than the stock catback. I had just the mid-pipe change at first but wanted less restriction for my hp level, and some more sound. I don't have aftermarket downpipes though, and that's what's causing your car to be so loud.

The biggest drawback to the T1R catback is the weight. Stock is 38 lbs and the T1R is 53lbs! Built quality and fitment is excellent though.
If you want a catback that is no louder than stock and flows better, consider the HKS Legamax. Yes, it is more expensive than the T1R, but it is also lighter than stock. I was considering the T1R, but decided against it given the weight increase. When I do a catback, it will probably be the HKS, unless someone comes out with a 90 mm catback that is lighter than stock and not more than $2800.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. Thanks gotboost and DocNrock. your feedback will help. I didn't know about the AF1 weight but, 15 lbs more is not much. You add about 100 to 120 lbs to your car when you fill it up with gas.

I heard a GTR with HKS down pipe mid pipe and legamax (SPE's car). It was louder than mine but not lot more.

I think ill have to find a high flow muffler for my mid pipe and then get the cat back.

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
OK. Thanks gotboost and DocNrock. your feedback will help. I didn't know about the AF1 weight but, 15 lbs more is not much. You add about 100 to 120 lbs to your car when you fill it up with gas.

I heard a GTR with HKS down pipe mid pipe and legamax (SPE's car). It was louder than mine but not lot more.

I think ill have to find a high flow muffler for my mid pipe and then get the cat back.
I test-drove my tuner's gtr(hks resonated midpipe+legamax+gt570kit+eibach). I just test-drove her to get the feel of eibach but I tried to duplicated the drone anyways at the same time but I couldn't no drone what so ever. It's still loud enough too.

·
Caretaker of GODZIRA!
2,679 Posts
I test-drove my tuner's gtr(hks resonated midpipe+legamax+gt570kit+eibach). I just test-drove her to get the feel of eibach but I tried to duplicated the drone anyways at the same time but I couldn't no drone what so ever. It's still loud enough too.
When I put my SSP catless downpipes on, on my already installed HKS resonated mid, and 5Zigen "SP Tune" (loud version) mufflers, my car got twice as loud, and the 2k-2800k drone is bad. My young adult sons don't think it's bad, but I do! Any freer flowing aftermarket rear mufflers you could get are going to be louder than the stock cans. I think we probably should've gotten the catted downpipes instead. Plus, my car has a very stinky exhaust now.

That said, I got what I got, I'm not changing it, and the sound at full sound is so insanely addicting!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I put my SSP catless downpipes on, on my already installed HKS resonated mid, and 5Zigen "SP Tune" (loud version) mufflers, my car got twice as loud, and the 2k-2800k drone is bad. My young adult sons don't think it's bad, but I do! Any freer flowing aftermarket rear mufflers you could get are going to be louder than the stock cans. I think we probably should've gotten the catted downpipes instead. Plus, my car has a very stinky exhaust now.

That said, I got what I got, I'm not changing it, and the sound at full sound is so insanely addicting!
Yes the same happened with my car. I installed non res mid pipe first, then down pipes. The down pipes made it significantly louder. I would have gotten the catted down pipes but the price is too high and as you said, its too late now.
Love the sound but don't want to get in trouble. When boost builds up people tell me they can hear me at least 2 blocks away. HKS legamax claim they are 1db louder than stock. But i dont know if that claim applies to our set up.

·
Caretaker of GODZIRA!
2,679 Posts
Instead of what amounts to wasting your money, (imo), on a 1db louder muffler set, why not swap out the uncatted downpipe with a catted version? I'm sure you'd be able to get 60% of it's cost selling it here. You did say you were looking to make it quieter not louder, right?
About the only thing you'll gain from a different catback other than another db, is some weight savings and a freer flow.

·
Vendor
4,614 Posts

Stinky exhaust is one of the reasons I won't put un-catted downpipes on my car. I'm cat-less on my P-car, so one stinky car is enough.
When someone proves they have a less restrictive catted downpipe with dyno sheets to prove it then I'll take a look.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Instead of what amounts to wasting your money, (imo), on a 1db louder muffler set, why not swap out the uncatted downpipe with a catted version? I'm sure you'd be able to get 60% of it's cost selling it here. You did say you were looking to make it quieter not louder, right?
About the only thing you'll gain from a different catback other than another db, is some weight savings and a freer flow.
good point. I thought of that but the catted downs are really expensive no? Ill have to check on recent prices.
And yes, you are correct, I can sell my esprees but, the labor for R&R will also be alot of money.

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts

I got HKS catless downpipes+HKS resonated mid+Greddy Ti. It still drones bit around the same rpm zone ,but my lady(professinal musician) doesn't wanna ride because the dull noise might hurt her+my hearing. I might change it in the future(considering HKS Spec-R Ti exhaust). I also don't like stinky exhaust smoke.

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
i have HKS downpipe + HKS resonated y pipe + AAM 3.5" catback , quieter than stock , Mine's catback is quiet too , i use to run HKS legamax , man it was soooo loud ,
My tuner's car(HKS catless downpipe+hks resonated Y+legamax) is loud but not loud enough to cause the drones.

Didn't u run legamax with non-resonated racing Y pipe?

·
Registered
139 Posts
My tuner's car(HKS catless downpipe+hks resonated Y+legamax) is loud but not loud enough to cause the drones.

Didn't u run legamax with non-resonated racing Y pipe?
i have resonated y pipe , same as ur tuner setup , its too loud to me, we will try the same set up with new Superior Spec R, Titanium (HKS catless downpipe+hks resonated Y+Superior spec R) HKS saying its quieter than Legamax by 2 to 4 Db

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm getting ready to enter the 550 wheel hp club and it seams that my stock mufflers are going to create a big restriction.
Hey GTR9,

Have you seen this exhaust system:

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/mm5/merch...ry_Code=GTR_EXH

Proven to 675awhp in silent mode, and 708awhp in race mode (the exhaust will support more power, but this is the highest we've run this exhaust on a GT-R so far). What is most cool is that you can set the volume of your exhaust anywhere from near factory silent to as loud as you can get! I have this system on my GT-R and love running in the middle setting. Also, this exhaust eliminates all drone!

Hope this helps,

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
i have resonated y pipe , same as ur tuner setup , its too loud to me, we will try the same set up with new Superior Spec R, Titanium (HKS catless downpipe+hks resonated Y+Superior spec R) HKS saying its quieter than Legamax by 2 to 4 Db
Is it really more quite than the legamax? Is it because of the material? I hope no more restriction than the legamax. My Superior Spec R exhaust is on its way as well.(should be here on Wed.)

·
Caretaker of GODZIRA!
2,679 Posts
Hey GTR9,

Have you seen this exhaust system:

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/mm5/merch...ry_Code=GTR_EXH

Proven to 675awhp in silent mode, and 708awhp in race mode (the exhaust will support more power, but this is the highest we've run this exhaust on a GT-R so far). What is most cool is that you can set the volume of your exhaust anywhere from near factory silent to as loud as you can get! I have this system on my GT-R and love running in the middle setting. Also, this exhaust eliminates all drone!

Hope this helps,
That tunable exhaust of yours is unbelievably cool! I love it! Too bad I already got what I got, otherwise, I'd be jumpin all over yours!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.