Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
What is six times nine?
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Boost Logic's installation of the HKS DCT transmission cooler (which works GREAT) to address my on-track tranny temps, it was clear that I had to then address my on-track oil temps. So, Boost Logic stepped up with an upgraded engine oil cooler. See their introductory thread here.

My first comment is that Boost Logic does quality work and spends time to get things right.

My conclusion after a few track days (13 sessions, 3 tracks) with the BL oil cooler, is that the Boost Logic oil cooler is showing its effectiveness in two ways.

First, there is a decrease in oil temps on the track, but due to intra-session cool down laps required with the OEM cooler with which I am comparing, it is hard to quantify the exact effect. It may be as great as 26F (see Session 2 in "C" below).

Second and more importantly, these track sessions show that my temps may be reaching a plateau below critical (260F) oil temps allowing me to finish full (25 minute) sessions and save on oil changes, whereas the OEM oil cooler core continues to build oil temps to critical (260F) requiring cool down laps within the 25 minute session.

Below are the sessions where I could do my best apples-to-apples comparisons. I have not had to do any intra-session cool down laps since the addition of the BL oil cooler.

NOTE: My "end session" temps below are the temps at checkered flag, BEFORE cool down lap; and car mods are listed at the very bottom of this post.

A: Same track (Driveway Austin Elevation (L2) Circuit), different day comparison with my car before and after BL engine oil cooler:

My car with OEM oil cooler core:

Date: 15 AUG 2010
Ambient conditions: 100F, dry track, 25 minute session
Quickest lap: 1:01.92s

.....Temps leaving pit lane: C: 181F, O: 177F, T: 168F
.....Temps in session: C: 204F, O: 260F, T: 253F
.....I reached 260F on oil twice in the session, requiring intra-session cool down laps

My car with Boost Logic oil cooler core:

Date: 24 SEP 2010
Ambient conditions: 97F, dry green dusty track, 25 minute session
Quickest lap: 1:01.88s
Quick Lap Video:

.....Temps leaving pit lane: C: 195F, O: 195F, T: 206F
.....this was after a short cool down period between this session and previous session on shorter track (see session "B" below)
.....Temps end session: C: 208F, O: 254F, T: 259F
.....NO intra-session cool-down laps, and I was duking it out with a CanAm car

B: Same track (Driveway Austin Short (L1) Circuit) comparison between my car with BL engine oil cooler & my brother's (NAGTROC: 42gtrJr) stock USDM 2010 GT-R with OEM engine oil cooler. We did a lead/follow (me following him, then him following me) for the session:

Date: 24 SEP 2010
Ambient conditions: 88F, dry green track, 25 minute session
Quickest lap: 37.XXs
One Lap Video:

My car:
.....Temps leaving pit lane: C: 179F, O: 183F, T: 174F
.....Temps mid session: C: 208F, O: 246F, T: 235F we pitted to get mid session temps
Temps end session: C: 204F, O: 249F, T: 246F
.....I ran full session, NO intra-session cool down laps

My brother's car:
.....Temps leaving pit lane: C: 179F, O: 177F, T: 170F
.....Temps mid session: C: 208F, O: 246F, T: 246F we pitted to get mid session temps
.....Temps in session: C: 218F, O: 260F, T: 266F
.....He had to do cool-down laps upon reaching O: 260F; Note you can see effect of HKS DCT cooler here, too.

C: Same track (Motorsports Ranch Cresson 3.1 mile Circuit) comparison between my GT-R and NAGTROC:Icarus' GT-R over sessions 2 & 4, including lead/follow in session 4 (session 3: Icarus ran conservatively with instructor):

Session 2:

Date: 12 SEP 2010
Ambient conditions: 90F, dry track water across 2 straights, 25 minute session
Quickest laps: 2:28.XXs

My car:
.....Temps leaving pit lane: C: 183F, O: 183F, T: 179F
.....Temps end session: C: 197F, O: 245F, T: 245F
.....I ran hard full session, NO intra-session cool down laps

Icarus' car:
.....Temps leaving pit lane: did not record
.....Temps in session: C: --, O: 271F, T: --
.....He had to do cool-down laps upon reaching O: 271F

Session 4:

Ambient conditions: 96F, dry track water across 2 straights, 25 minute session
Quickest laps: 2:26.XXs
Quick lap video:

My car:
.....Temps leaving pit lane: C: 185F, O: 199F, T: 197F
.....Temps end session: C: 205F, O: 259F, T: 256F
.....I ran hard full session, NO intra session cool down laps

Icarus' car:
.....Temps leaving pit lane: did not record
.....Temps in session: C: --, O: 266F, T: --
.....He had to do cool-down laps upon reaching O: 266F

The Cars:

My (NAGTROC:forty-two) car is a USDM 2010 with:

.....OEM fluids, unless otherwise indicated
.....HKS DCT cooler, OEM DCT fluid
.....Boost Logic Oil Cooler
.....90mm Ti resonated midpipe, heat wrapped
.....ARP studs & lug nuts
.....AP Racing slotted rotors
.....Carbotech XP-12 pads
.....StopTech brake lines, w/Motul RBF 600 fluid
.....Custom Boost Logic brake cooling deflector for front brakes (similar to HKS Kansai deflectors)
.....19" Volk TE37's w/Hoosier R6's (F: 295/30/19, R: 315/30/19)

NAGTROC:Icarus' car is a USDM 2009 with:

.....OEM fluids, except Castrol TWS 10W-60 engine oil
.....HKS DCT cooler, OEM DCT fluid
.....HKS resonated midpipe & Legamax exhaust
.....AP Racing J-hook rotors
.....Carbotech XP-12 pads, w/Motul RBF 600 fluid
.....18" Enkei w/Toyo R888's (F&R: 305/35/18)

My brother's (NAGTROC:42gtrJr) car is a USDM 2010 with:

.....OEM fluids
.....19" Volk RE30's w/Hoosier R6's (F: 295/30/19, R: 315/30/19)
.....NOTE: Boost Logic will build out his car to match mine.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Thanks for sharing this info Khib, very valuable to those of us tracking our GTR's. It was great to run with you at MSR, hope we can do it again soon.

Your data shows the BoostLogic oil cooler would be a good addition to any tracked car trying to keep oil temps in check.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Many thanks. I was hoping someone would do a review of this.

I'm encouraged by this. It doesn't appear to quite be the cooling effect of the OEM+secondary cooler... but enough to keep tracking without having to do cool down laps.

Also, since I'm getting HKS DCT cooler myself, this is exactly what I'd be looking at getting. Unless something better comes along.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thanks a lot for the data and the review!!

You didn't really touch on it and I know it is hard when you reach 260F temps but do you have any idea on the delta of oil temps between OEM and BL on your car? For example in your first track outing you were citing your car before and after the cooler and 25 minute sessions. Roughly how many laps did it take you before to hit 260F out of what total VERSUS with the BL oil cooler how many laps were you able to run in succession with no let up laps?

Thanks again!

·
R35 Member
769 Posts
Session 4:

Ambient conditions: 96F, dry track water across 2 straights, 25 minute session
Quickest laps: 2:26.XXs
Quick lap video:

My car:
.....Temps leaving pit lane: C: 185F, O: 199F, T: 197F
.....Temps end session: C: 205F, O: 259F, T: 256F
.....I ran hard full session, NO intra session cool down laps
I think I am missing something on Session 4. 259*F is 1*F shy of 260 and only 7*F lower than Icarus who doesn't have the BL oil cooler.

Are the power levels between your cars or lap times so different that yours is higher due to being stressed more than Icarus?

$1500 for 7*F?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I think I am missing something on Session 4. 259*F is 1*F shy of 260 and only 7*F lower than Icarus who doesn't have the BL oil cooler.
Session 4, forty-two never backed off, his max temp was 259F. I backed off once I hit 266F.
Session 2, forty-two never backed off, his max temp was 245F. I backed off once I hit 271F.

As forty-two explained, you could look at session 2 and see that the BL cooler is good for a 26F reduction in temps. There are always variables, but our cars are very, very similar and we were running nearly identical laptimes. Same track, similar cars/mods, similar laptimes. I don't discount there can be differences in temps due to driving style and other random variables. Over the entire range of data points, it is clear the BoostLogic cooler *does* work. In my opinion, it is probably good for a 10-15 degree reduction in oil temps. You might see more or less depending on other factors.

·
R35 Member
769 Posts
Over the entire range of data points, it is clear the BoostLogic cooler *does* work. In my opinion, it is probably good for a 10-15 degree reduction in oil temps.
I don't doubt that it does a better job than the stock oil cooler.

It is just hard to understand replacing the stock oil cooler which is a decent unit and already in place for $1500 to get 10-15* temps change. Seems like a lot of money to replace an existing part rather than supplement it with a secondary oil cooler and see a larger difference in temps.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
It is just hard to understand replacing the stock oil cooler which is a decent unit and already in place for $1500 to get 10-15* temps change. Seems like a lot of money to replace an existing part rather than supplement it with a secondary oil cooler and see a larger difference in temps.
I agree, it's a lot of money. If you're not tracking the car you will never see those temps. But if you're running 270+ F on the oil you *must* do something, IMO. 15 degrees at that point is a significant difference. My goal is 240F or less, so I will probably do both an OEM replacement cooler AND possibly a misting solution. I'm still evaluating...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

I agree with that BUT for some people who don't have any more room for a secondary oil cooler we have to take what we can get? And I agree with Icarus at the point in which you are seeing 260F+ temps anything and everything helps. But I have to say that $1500 for this unit (without fans which I agree are not needed) is kind of pricey.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I agree, it's a lot of money. If you're not tracking the car you will never see those temps. But if you're running 270+ F on the oil you *must* do something, IMO. 15 degrees at that point is a significant difference. My goal is 240F or less, so I will probably do both an OEM replacement cooler AND possibly a misting solution. I'm still evaluating...
Added to that... if you've paid $80-$200 to track the car (and countless mods+driving to track), etc... the last thing you want to do is run cool down laps during that precious period of time you're allowed to run. So, while expensive.... if it keeps me tracking, this is money well spent.

·
What is six times nine?
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot for the data and the review!!

You didn't really touch on it and I know it is hard when you reach 260F temps but do you have any idea on the delta of oil temps between OEM and BL on your car? For example in your first track outing you were citing your car before and after the cooler and 25 minute sessions. Roughly how many laps did it take you before to hit 260F out of what total VERSUS with the BL oil cooler how many laps were you able to run in succession with no let up laps?

Thanks again!
Keep in mind I'm in central Texas and run on the track through the summer.

With OEM cooler I did about 12 hot laps when I hit 260F, then I did a couple of cool down laps, then a couple of hot laps where I got back to 260F. I then did a couple of cool down laps and ended my session. This is the (post HKS DCT cooler) session that convinced me that I had to do something about oil cooling.

After the BL cooler, I ran the whole session* never reaching 260F. *There were two unusual things about this session: 1) My temps upon leaving the pits were ~10F higher than usual, due to having just completed a 25 minute/34 lap session on the shorter 0.5 mile circuit without a long in-pit cool down time; and 2) the owner of the track was out in his CanAm car wanting to have a go with me, so the session was longer than usual, resulting in ~23 hot laps in a row.

Ambient conditions were very similar for both sessions.

NOTE: The track (http://www.drivewayaustin.com/track-maps/elevation-course) is 0.92 miles, sessions are 25 minutes, I average 1:02.xx/lap (excluding warm-up and cool down laps). I get ~20 hot laps per session. This is my local track (has multiple circuits). I've run 16 sessions on the L2 circuit (used in the comparison to which you are referring), including a 90+ lap day, in the past year.

·
R35 Member
769 Posts
I agree with that BUT for some people who don't have any more room for a secondary oil cooler we have to take what we can get?
I feel you on that but I can't help but wonder if COBB could make their secondary oil cooler for $1395 (which includes hoses, gaskets, brackets and an OEM duct), why couldn't someone else fabricate one in the upper middle grill location? We already know an oil cooler core can fit there.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
$1500 for 7*F?
Don't dismiss that as a trivial reduction. Although it SOUNDS trivial, put your house on 75 degrees on the thermostat, and then on 82. If you can imagine, that's a big difference.

At 240-260, most oils are starting "breakdown" mode, where the VI improvers begin to char and lose their properties, and the detergents and antiwear agents are at their limit of lubricating the piston sleeves. I don't know if our engines have piston squirters (anybody weigh in on this?), but if they do, then those temps are localized MUCH higher. To continue to expose our (fairly pricey, frankly) lubricants to that sort of oxidative stress doesn't make sense if it can be avoided.

Additionally, retaining stock cooler location ensures less chance of leaks, less disruption of designed airflow, and less likelyhood of worsening pressure drop. Everything I've ever done to a car, the closer I can keep the mounts, changes, lines, bolts, etc. to stock, in general, the less trouble I've had.

Just my $0.02.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Someone may want to try http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?sh...20&start=20

There are also oil coolers that run coolent through them that may help. Lamnova or something like that.

I agree also with a cooler in a possition with more airflow with a cooler that's big enough. Ssp has a trans cooler that mounts in the front grill that possition may help for the oil cooler a secondary or replacement.

What about the stock oil pump? Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
205 Posts
We avoided a secondary style cooler like Cobbs for two reasons.
-It leaves no room for the HKS DCT cooler which is the best transmission cooling option on the market
-It could increase pressure drop in the oil system

I also didn't like the idea of adding to the column in front of the radiator. Intercoolers, Oil Cooler, AC Condenser, and Radiator all trying to capitalize on the same air flow didn't make sense to me.

We went with this idea because we were trying to find a solution for the masses, so we went with this option, very high quality, OEM installation, and a sizable decrease in temps over factory. While we could have done a 50 row cooler and ducting for a hole in the bumper (which would probably stop the oil temps from climbing over the thermostat temp) we don't really think anyone would be interested in the modifications required to install a setup like that on the car, or the hole in the bumper to get good pressure in front of a core that large.

I'm happy with the gains the cooler has shown, I knew from the start that a change like this wouldn't stop the temps dead at 225 degrees, but I knew it would make a sizable difference and still be a part that we could sell that is as high of quality as the OEM piece.

There are also oil coolers that run coolent through them that may help. Lamnova or something like that.
We considered having a larger radiator built with internal oil warming/cooling but decided it wouldn't be beneficial without rebuilding the factory oil block without a thermostat and it'd be silly not to capitalize on the ducting the factory already has in place.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
We avoided a secondary style cooler like Cobbs for two reasons.
-It leaves no room for the HKS DCT cooler which is the best transmission cooling option on the market
I am curious when people make absolute statements like that is that just a bit of a slip and you meant to say 'one of the best' or do you have some good hard data behind that statement you would like to share? I ask because I personally think the Greddy is one of the better units from the data I have seen (granted it's quite limited from the Greddy units) it is usually showing lower transmission temps than the HKS unit.

Just curious and I also wanted to thank you again for providing this solution to the community as I do think it is a VERY good implementation of a stock unit location replacement!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am curious when people make absolute statements like that is that just a bit of a slip and you meant to say 'one of the best' or do you have some good hard data behind that statement you would like to share? I ask because I personally think the Greddy is one of the better units from the data I have seen (granted it's quite limited from the Greddy units) it is usually showing lower transmission temps than the HKS unit.

Just curious and I also wanted to thank you again for providing this solution to the community as I do think it is a VERY good implementation of a stock unit location replacement!
I thought about including the Greddy cooler in that statement since I'm sure its on par with the HKS's quality and effectiveness, we've had about 4 or 5 HKS DCTs come through and no Greddy units so I left it out of my statement, I guess on the basis of personal experience. At any rate, they both put the core in the same location as the secondary engine oil cooler and with how effective they are being able to use the HKS/Greddy coolers with our engine oil cooler upgrade was a must.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.