Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mechanical Engineer
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, new to the forum here. I purchased this 2014 Premium, Jet Black / Red Amber interior GTR a couple of months ago, and I plan to drive it a lot, even in winter. (I sold my Supercharged C6 Corvette with 112,000 miles on it!). Knowing what that does to the paint, I decided to give it the best protection I could. I started out with XPel protective film on headlights, driving lights, ground effects and the center portion of the bumper. Also tinted the rear and side windows with 3M Color Stable 35% tint.
I added the
Stillen front lip / "skid plate", since it loves to scrape.
Finally,
3M Satin Black Vinyl all around. Not a big change from the Jet Black factory paint, but I've always been a huge fan of flat black / matte colors. The Matte for me looked too much like primer, but the Satin is just right. What do you guys think?

Before (Yes I know every one here knows what a 2014 GTR looks like). This is a Friend's 911 Turbo alongside it:

Post Wrap:

I also added a Carbon Fiber license plate frame, and a Nurburgring sticker. Yes I bought it at the Nurburgring store; I go there once a year to do some lapping (not in a GTR though, I rent from Rent4Ring)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I too am a fan of matte black, on GTRs especially. Makes it look much more menacing. I admire your decision to make this an all year DD. I live in Buffalo and don't know if I could bring myself to expose a GTR to all the salt on the roads. Definitely looks good though.

·
R35 member
3,086 Posts
That looks great.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The car looks amazing!! Mind me asking a ball park price on the matte wrap? I too am thinking about a wrap!! Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
That looks great, I prefer your satin to other matte finishes I've seen . Is the satin film actually black or is it a film that can give a satin finish to any color it is placed on?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Often when I see satin black it looks like primer and I don't care for it. Seems cheap.

But - that looks really slick - it works well on the gtr. Lots of hard angles help

·
Registered
386 Posts
Love it!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Nice! I'm thinking of doing the same or satin grey. Hard to choose...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just finishing a black satin wrap on the wife's rig. Thinking bout doing the GTR next....

Attachments

·
Mechanical Engineer
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That looks great, I prefer your satin to other matte finishes I've seen . Is the satin film actually black or is it a film that can give a satin finish to any color it is placed on?
It is a 3M Vinyl film that is completely opaque; you can not see the car's original color through it. A white or a red car would look no different.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It is a 3M Vinyl film that is completely opaque; you can not see the car's original color through it. A white or a red car would look no different.
Except when you open the hood, trunk, doors potentially, etc. Definitely best to start with a black car..

Love the satin black. I've had my car wrapped in 3M Satin Black for a few years and still love it to this day.

You can't use a carnuba wax on the wrap, but I use Lucas Oil SlickMist Speedwax (polymer-based) and it is great for giving it just a little bit more shine. Looks badass!

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
looks really nice

1 - 20 of 22 Posts