Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
In previous threads that I've already posted about my Ultimate Street Edition package, I've mentioned my brake pads a couple of times here and there. In response, quite a few people have asked me about the pads in the threads, as well as via PMs, so here's a little more info about them.

First off, let me preface this by saying that I'm NOT a road-racer. I'm happy to admit that I'm only a street-car guy, who hits the dragstrip a few times per year. That said, I routinely hit speeds that will test the brake pads on any car about as sufficiently as you can on the street or dragstrip. After one or two high-speed bursts in my C6 Z06, the brakes would begin to fade immediately. They sucked. My 996TT had GT3 Brembos with custom pads and they were quite good, but they were loud and not consistent in wet weather. My GT2 had OEM Porsche Ceramics (PCCBs) and they were awesome. But they were also loud, as well as ridiculously expensive. I've also driven a Gallardo Nera with OEM Lamborghini Ceramics and they felt like my GT2's PCCBs, albeit a bit more sensitive to driver input, so they were sort of 'catchy' (I preferred the Porsche system).

The best brakes I've felt to date are the ones on my car; stock 2012 brakes, with these custom pads. My friend who owns a P800 (with stock brakes and pads) drove my car a few miles from a clear-bra place and loved them. He ordered a set of the pads for himself. They don't squeak at all, are not dusty, and stop noticeably better than stock.

In Houston, I spoke to a road-racer for quite long time who is also running these pads on his GT-R. He said they are the best he's used. He is getting 5-6 days of life on the pads at the track, compared to 2-3 days on the stock pads...with significantly better, more consistent braking.

I don't know who makes them (they won't tell me). What I do know is that typical brake pads use phenolic resin, and phenolic resin pads normally have an operating temperature good up to about 400 degrees Celsius. These custom pads utilize nano-carbon technology (as well other materials), and do not use any phenolic resin, therefore allowing operating temps up to about 1,400 degrees Celsius. The benefits that I'm seeing personally and have learned from discussions with others are:

Superior braking and fade resistance whether the pads are hot or cold
Superior braking when pads are wet
Anti lock properties and superior brake feel (linear deceleration. Not 'catchy' like a ceramics can be)
Increased brake pad life (about double the life)
Prolongs life of rotors due to soft pads
No squeaking

After a couple of you try these pads out, please post in this thread and tell me if you agree or disagree with anything I posted above.

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ronnie - I've only put around 900 miles on the car so far, but I would say they are 20-30% less dusty than the stock pads.

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott...great write up. Getting those secret sauce brake pads on the R1kx plus a side of AP J hooks...
With the J hooks on that thing is going to stop like F1 car! LOL...

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
Carbonetic and project mu iirc were working on such a product in collaboration. other than that i couldn't guess what it could be.

good review of these! looks like another must have part for the gtr

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
307 Posts
A little offtopic, but what was loud about the PCCBs on the GT2? Pad rattle, squealing? The brakes on mine are near silent for that type of application.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You invested a load of money with them and they wont even tell you who manufactures your brake pads? What a load of crap. I thought switzer was supposed to be one of the good guys. Its not like it's a secret formula for their grandmothers prize winning cookies or something. Seems rather childish to me.

·
AMGfan
2,786 Posts
The quote they gave me was it was an SPI brand so I am not sure if it has been patented or a patent pending product. Whatever the case, if they are a superior product that gives superior performance I am not sure what the fuss would be to me if they want to maintain brand secrecy.

If it provided inferior performance, looks improperly constructed, or had a catastrophic failure then I would think where they made, how they made it, and who put it together would be an issue. I am not being a Switzer apologist...I would feel the same way if this was AMS, SPE, or whoever...

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
A little offtopic, but what was loud about the PCCBs on the GT2? Pad rattle, squealing? The brakes on mine are near silent for that type of application.
Squealing in cool weather at lights. A bit nit-picky, I admit, but to everyone around you it sounds like crap. The pads on my car now don't squeak at all as far as I can tell. In any weather.

·
R35 GT-R
2,070 Posts
You invested a load of money with them and they wont even tell you who manufactures your brake pads? What a load of crap. I thought switzer was supposed to be one of the good guys. Its not like it's a secret formula for their grandmothers prize winning cookies or something. Seems rather childish to me.
They are one of the good guys. Best tuner/builder I've had out of a lot past tuners/builders across many different marques. They simply would like to keep the specifics proprietary at this point, like any smart business would. No reason to get upset about it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I agree with Jon and Scott, It's fine for Switzer to have product confidentiality. They stand behind there name on their products 1000%. And thats all that matters.

These pads are on my "to do" list once I toast the OEM brake pads!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I'd have to agree with this, while if they were purely Switzer product, they would just be called Switzer pads or whatever, but it seems as if they are either using another brand in collaboration with them, or simply repackaging a cheaper brand with their name on it. (similar to what they were doing with the original titanium exhausts they sold as their own).

Either way, if I'm spending 50+k in mods on a car, i'd like to know exactly whats going on

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.