Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want better lap times.

My 2010 GT-R is an incredible track car, but I wanted it to be better. I've given this a lot of thought. Every year Nissan improves the current GT-R and every year I think about getting the new one. I've gone through this cycle three times now. If I upgraded it would be better, but in less than a year Nissan will start talking about the next one with a little more power and some other refinements and mine wouldn't be "the best" anymore. I also like the idea of having something special, perhaps something that is best suited for my needs and capabilities.

The One Lap of America is an incredible event. I'm not much of a motorsports spectator, but for some reason I've always liked One Lap. A few years ago GT-Rs started competing and I started rooting for them. Last year I started following the Topspeed team of Doug Wilks and Leh Keen on Nagtroc. I watched them live from my office as they raced around Daytona at 180 mph. I took a day off work to drive 3 hours south to see them in person at Autobahn where they clinched the 1[sup]st[/sup] place victory. They destroyed the competition. As a fellow GT-R owner, they made me proud. I was and remain truly in awe with the combination of the tuning prowess from Topspeed and Leh's superhuman driving skills.

This got me thinking. What if I could get Topspeed to tune my car and then have Leh Keen spend a day dialing it in just like they did for One Lap? Even better, what if I traveled to Georgia to watch the whole thing and then have Leh show me what the GT-R is truly capable of and give me a few pointers in my own car. Well my friends, that is exactly what I did.

What I ended up with is a car that not only makes buckets more power, but handles significantly better than before. Understeer? Gone. The sound? Amazing. Even better, after watching Doug and Leh tune my car for half the day and watching the lap times keep getting better, I have absolute confidence that I am getting every last penny worth of performance from all of my upgrades.

But the best part without question was the experience. There really is no way to explain the feeling of riding around the track in a Topspeed tuned GT-R as Leh Keen defies physics. I wish there was some way I could show my gratitude, but all I managed was, "Unbelievable. I don't have words."

This forum has been a huge resource for me over the years. I hope sharing my thought process and experience will in some way give back to anyone who might be in a similar situation.

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate.

Cheers,

Erick

·
Vendor
3,046 Posts
Erick,

Thanks very much for the kind words! I am ecstatic that you are so happy!

We really enjoyed getting to meet you and appreciate the opportunity to extract the speed out of your car!

Looking forward to hearing how she feels on your local track.

Here are some pictures from the day...My media manager will have emailed you the link to the rest of them.

~Cicio

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
Great write up and thank you for sharing.

Keep up the good work, Topspeed!

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
glad to read this.. i will be dealing with Cicio and topspeed soon enough.. Still waiting to hear back from CICIO!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
wow, that's definitely the best way to do it. Full package, upgrade your car, live tune+dial in the suspension set up, etc... and then have Leh show you how to drive.

Do you mind giving us the list of mods that you guys ended up with? Power? etc...?

Keep up the good work Top Speed! I'm in the same boat as Erick, keep 2010 or switch to 2013? 2014? or just go with a RS...

Hopefully I'll be able to contact the TSM boys and do the same thing!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wow, that's definitely the best way to do it. Full package, upgrade your car, live tune+dial in the suspension set up, etc... and then have Leh show you how to drive. Do you mind giving us the list of mods that you guys ended up with? Power? etc...? Keep up the good work Top Speed! I'm in the same boat as Erick, keep 2010 or switch to 2013? 2014? or just go with a RS... Hopefully I'll be able to contact the TSM boys and do the same thing!
Hi dsu*,

Here is what I did...
  • AccessPORT
  • Cast downpipes (no cats)
  • High flow mid-pipe
  • Front mounted intercooler
  • 3" intercooler piping
  • Fuel injectors
  • GReddy Power Extreme Racing Titanium Exhaust
  • 3" intakes
  • TraqMate
  • JRZ RS Pro 2-way adjustable suspension
  • Sway bars
  • Transmission cooler
  • Oil cooler
  • TSM tune
  • Rent track for the day with TSM support
  • Leh Keen training
All of this plus a new set of R888s (They already had a couple of track days and after Leh was done there wasn't anything left
) for a little less than the cost to trade in my 2010 for a 2013.

See attachment for power/torque results...

The starting point seems high to me, but I double checked and they said this was the baseline.

Hope this helps!

Erick

Attachments

·
[ MotorMotives ]
541 Posts
Lap times?

-AJ

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hi dsu*,

Here is what I did...
  • AccessPORT
  • Cast downpipes (no cats)
  • High flow mid-pipe
  • Front mounted intercooler
  • 3" intercooler piping
  • Fuel injectors
  • GReddy Power Extreme Racing Titanium Exhaust
  • 3" intakes
  • TraqMate
  • JRZ RS Pro 2-way adjustable suspension
  • Sway bars
  • Transmission cooler
  • Oil cooler
  • TSM tune
  • Rent track for the day with TSM support
  • Leh Keen training
All of this plus a new set of R888s (They already had a couple of track days and after Leh was done there wasn't anything left
) for a little less than the cost to trade in my 2010 for a 2013.

See attachment for power/torque results...

The starting point seems high to me, but I double checked and they said this was the baseline.

Hope this helps!

Erick
Thank you very much for the mod list Erick. Are most of the parts custom from TopSpeed? or did they use Branded products? I ask because I would really like to know which brand combo of mods you went with to produce the powerful track set up. I'm sure if TSM dial the tune on kill, you'll hit 600whp.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.