Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
I thought I would share my experience with swapping out my 2011 OEM brake pads today in preparation for Spa and the Ring next month with Project Mu MAX900i pads, the headline news is that the pre 2011 brake pads are the same size as the MY2011 ones despite the increase in disc size and are therefore a like for like swap.

Edit: It will be interesting to see how the new material and size of the OEM discs handle the heat.

The only issue I came across was the new super strong brake retainer spring on the rears that is a bit of a pain to get back in, pictures are below:

OEM Rear Brake Pad and Clip:

OEM & PMU MAX 900i Rear Brake Pads, please note the painted chamfer on the PMU pads makes them look like they are smaller, but they are not:

Rear Caliper with PMU MAX 900i Pads Fitted:

OEM & PMU MAX900i Front Brake Pads:

Reason for edit: Font size change

·
Super Moderator
3,445 Posts
Great! Thanks for sharing this Storm. I'm surprised there've been no comments on this bearing in mind the number of people who thought their front CV joints were shot because of the clicking noise!

This is definitely on my list of "to order" parts.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! Thanks for sharing this Storm. I'm surprised there've been no comments on this bearing in mind the number of people who thought their front CV joints were shot because of the clicking noise!

This is definitely on my list of "to order" parts.
LOL, indeed! You are most welcome paparazzi

The new Dunlop tyres seem to be puncture prone BTW, a good number in the UK have had tyres replaced (including me) within the first 1500 miles, I know this will sound odd but it can't be a coincidence. If I get another one or the tyres don't last at Spa and the 'ring next week then I will be swapping them all out for the previous generation ones!

·
Super Moderator
3,445 Posts
hmmmm, interesting fact about the new Dunlops.....you think Porsche dealers have been leaving nails on the motorways?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the front pads - 2011 the same size as the earlier cars?
Yes they are Sean, the pictures of the new PMU pads I posted above are from the "stock" I held from my 2010 (US MY2011) car and I fitted them after checking the sizes to my 2011 (US MY2012) car.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
Yes they are Sean, the pictures of the new PMU pads I posted above are from the "stock" I held from my 2010 (US MY2011) car and I fitted them after checking the sizes to my 2011 (US MY2012) car.
Interesting, they could have gone a little deeper on the pad, with the extra 5mm. Maybe they didn't deem it necessary.

On the CCM upgrade, we use a deeper pad, gives you some more swept area on the 400mm rotor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts