Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Vendor
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had an amazing day at VIR yesterday with some of the NAGTROC community and the guys from Forged. We couldn't have asked for better weather or a better group of guys.

On the way up to the track Sunday one of our customers unfortunately got into an accident with his truck and trailer, but he didn't let it keep him down. He rolled his Lamborghini off the trailer and left the rig for the tow truck company
. Even with the setback we were still able to pull into VIR at about 9pm and get some much needed sleep.

Monday morning after a quick paddock setup and drivers meeting it was time to hit the track. We decided to try out our One Lap GT-R on a set of Hoosier R6 DOT slicks to attempt to best the previous GT-R track record of 1:58.4 at VIR. With Leh Keen behind the wheel, we took to the track for the morning session. After just 5 laps, we ran a blazingly fast 1:53.5, besting the previous GT-R record by 4.9 SECONDS!!! Leh is convinced there is still another full second in the car as we made no setup changes or adjustments at all. With that record lap behind us, we put on the street tire setup and went out for the second session. Leh was able to run a 1:56.1 on Michelin PSS street tires (with me in the passenger seat and a full tank of gas!).

However, during the first hot lap of the afternoon session, the brackets mounting the splitter to the chassis snapped in half. We figured that the combination of the beating it took last weekend at Atlanta Motorsports Park combined with the extreme stress from added down force just did them in..... the curbing at VIR probably didn't help either
. My team, knowing we needed to fix the car, jumped into action. My two head techs had the bumper and splitter off in minutes to determine the extent of the damage. Then they went to work coming up with a "track side solution" to remount the ripped bumper and splitter back to the car. Without the use of many materials, they fashioned new mounts using a window net bar, then stitched the bumper back together with safety wire and zip ties. Any of you who were there saw how bad it was, and how quickly they turned the situation around. I had several people offer help if we needed it and others say "man there is no way I would have thought that was fixable on track". I was very proud of my guys for getting her back up and out on track before the end of the day!

Personally it was important to me that the car make the last session. My family had made the trip down from New York to see the One Lap car run for the day, so I definitely wanted them to get a ride in the car. Normally I would have thrown in the towel, being that it was just a DE track day, and we had already broken the track record, but this situation was a little different and very important to me. My team knew that and didn't miss a beat, I can't thank them enough! I was able to take my mother and cousin out for some partially hot, partially screaming laps, and my father and brother both got to ride in the car at a decently fast pace! I actually ran my personal best at VIR with my Dad in the passenger seat, while still driving somewhat cautiously given the cargo
I haven't gotten a ton of seat time in the GT-R since OLOA, but I'm really looking forward to more! The car is TONS of fun to slide around and drive quickly.

Despite the splitter issue and missing all but one of the afternoon sessions, I was very pleased. My family all left with smiles on their faces and finally got to see the hard work we have put in for almost 2 years on the GT-R, the TSM team had a wonderful time at the track, and all our customers really enjoyed the day shaving lap times and learning from Leh and myself. All in all it was just a wonderful day!

It was a great day for us as a company and a very rewarding day for me personally getting to show my family the fruits of my hard work.

I have to say thanks again to the GT-R community! What a great group of guys, and a joy to be around. Everyone made us feel very welcome and was just a joy to be around. It was very nice to put some faces with names/screen names. I also wanted to apologize for anyone around while we were "in the zone". I wanted to shake so many more hands and hang out more, but when something happens to a car on track we instinctively lazer beam focus on fixing it!

Thank you to Forged for putting on a well organized, fun event, the community for supporting it, and my team for making it a success for me and many others!! I'm sure to be at this event next year!

I'll have the record setting video up in just a little bit with some traqmate overlay, but for the meantime here are some pictures! We have several other pictures of peoples cars on track, I will have them up later today as well.

~Cicio

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
wow some of those pics are awesome

thanks for sharing

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
the oak tree pics are my fave. if you have one of my car PLEASE send it to me

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
thanks man. that picture is great. The JRZs seem to really be working hard and I couldnt be happier with them. I was blown away on track and couldnt believe how nice the ride was on my way home. I would highly recommend that setup to anyone.

thanks again for everything and it was really nice to meet you and the entire TSM family

·
Registered
857 Posts
wow. Amazing pics. I missed out big time... wish i could have made it.

Leh's Green RS looks amazing!

What wheels are on your car Cicio? What size are they and what's the weight compared to the G2s?

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
Forged Performance will have a full recap, and photos of all the cars very shortly. We took several a couple thousand photos and 50GB of video so Chad has quite a bit to chew through. Thanks for coming and bringing a great group of people and cars!

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
AWESOME pics fellas! Love that 240z, what are the specs?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts

·
Vendor
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AWESOME pics fellas! Love that 240z, what are the specs?
We actually just finished the full build on that car. Its been a wonderful year long project! Everything is custom on the car, and everything was done in house.

It's a full road race, built LS7, dry sumped 2400lb monster! The car is crazy.

·
Vendor
1,540 Posts
Here are some more from throughout the day. I'll post up more as we get through the editing que...

·
Vendor
1,540 Posts
Very nice shots Rob!
Thanks Sharif! As you and Chad already know...there is a lot to go through after a day like this. I'm looking forward to seeing how his video comes out.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts