Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are $800 kits - plus tuning etc. But what do I NEED for the car to run ethanol? I ASSUME I need a flex fuel sensor (I can get a GM sensor like the kits use for $100), new fuel pumps ($300?), injectors (1050x) and a tune (Ecutek? Switzer?).

My 2013 is stock, and I literally JUST want to add e85. Can anyone advise what I need to do so. I dont think I need a gauge anywhere, I measure fuel myself. I'm not racing the car, I just want a bit more power for tooling around town.

AEM pumps? Deutshewerks? visconti?

I do a lot of work on the cars myself.. Just looking for recommendations and where to get a tune or if there is an "Off the shelf" tune for flex fuel. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Technically you don't need the sensor if you only want to run E85 but that's not smart when there's good kits for the car. You're right that you'll need the flex kit, injectors, furl pump and a tune.

Without the other bolt on mods you're not going to pick up much IMO. I suggest intake and downpipes as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,861 Posts
Technically you don't need the sensor if you only want to run E85 but that's not smart when there's good kits for the car. You're right that you'll need the flex kit, injectors, furl pump and a tune.

Without the other bolt on mods you're not going to pick up much IMO. I suggest intake and downpipes as well.
Yes, but:

Consider ID1000 injectors, 3" intakes, mid-pipe, stock DPs and stock pumps...but with a dual tune for 93 and 100 octane (unleaded). You'll have plenty of power for around town. (and possibly avoid Emissions Testing problems, depending upon the State that you live in)

Alexd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Alex- We dont have emissions testing here in Indiana.... But we do have lots of access to e85. Race fuel is hard to come by with only 1 station in the area dispensing it. I'd have to have 100 octane barrels shipped to me which is inconvenient to say the least not to mention $6/gal. Plus, Ive read that intake pipes really dont gain any power? They add turbo whine, but not much power. Outside of Racefuel, I think e85 is usually best bang for buck combined with a good tune? I planned to change the midpipe, but I think i'd like to keep a resonator. Not a fan of popping loud v6 sounds.

Sonofman: I DONT NEED a sensor, but I do NEED a flex fuel kit? Arent the flex fuel kits just $20 of prefabbed fuel lines with a $100 GM sensor and a $30 gauge for $800? Or are you saying the car will adjust then on its own.. In my last car (ZL1) it would adjust, but it could only compensate upto 25% from a pump gas tune.. running e85 (or more) is usually 30% more fuel, so I didnt know if the car could make up that difference?

Any recommendations on where to get a tune to run e85? Do I need the accessport to tune? or can a tuner just change the 'puter, and away I go?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I'm in the process of converting my setup to flex fuel so you can see what I am doing here.

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/96763-diy700-700hp-on-a-budget/page-33

The pump setup I have cost me ~$250 and I am having extra stainless plates made and should have them next week if anyone wants one. I'm not selling them, just gonna make a few extra and ship at my cost.

Regarding the actual flex fuel kit it will cost me about $350 all said and done so I am in agreement with you that $800 is too high. I will start a separate DIY thread when it is complete.

$170(shipped) - Innovate Ethanol / Fuel Temp gauge (no sensor)

$68 + shipping - Continental ethanol Sensor

$7 + shipping - air pump connector

$???? - fuel lines (should be no more than $50 - $75)

Gauge2.JPG

Gauge3.JPG

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
240 Z Twin Turbo, you're da man!

Do you do e-Tuning as well at a fraction of the cost? :)
I used to tune for friends (Haltech, AEM, Electromotive, SDS, etc.) 14+ years ago and will be tuning my buddy's 89 300ZXT SE running an Electromotive Tech IIIr in the coming month or so. However, for the GTR a tuning license from Cobb or ECUTek is required to tune other peoples cars. I personally don't want the liability and not something that interests me so I'll just stick with my own car. Funny thing is that in the EVO community a tune is $300 and in the GTR community the same tune is at least $600. I personally find that tuning the EVO on ECU Flash takes a lot more time vs the GTR on Cobb, which is butter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Doug feel free to private message me.

240Z I'm glad to see somebody taking the time to do it themselves and not just buying the $800 kit been having somebody install it. There are a lot of posts about people fabricating their own pipes etc but I couldn't find much on DIY flex fuel. Are you using are you using the Gage just for tuning purposes? I like your build list just didn't know if the gauge is necessary?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Doug feel free to private message me.

240Z I'm glad to see somebody taking the time to do it themselves and not just buying the $800 kit been having somebody install it. There are a lot of posts about people fabricating their own pipes etc but I couldn't find much on DIY flex fuel. Are you using are you using the Gage just for tuning purposes? I like your build list just didn't know if the gauge is necessary?
The gauge is necessary in this case because it converts the frequency signal to a programmable 0-5V analogue output signal required by the ECU to know Ethanol percentage. Likewise, it also converts the amplitude of the frequency to a programmable 0-5V analogue output signal for fuel temp, which is not used as an ECU input in this case. If you don't want a gauge then you can purchase a straight up converter for the same price, Zeitronix Ethanol Content Analyzer ECA-2, and just view Ethanol content via your V3 or ECUTek interface. There are several ways to skin the cat, but all of them are still about $350 if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have done it both ways, you can piece it together for ~$400, but there is something to be said about PnP of the kits that is super clean and convenient. It really depends on how mechanically inclined you are OP and how much work you want to put in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great info guys

About to do this too, just have couple questions
Exactly what all is in a flex fuel kit?

Ethonal sensor ( gm flex fuel sensor $40)

Fuel lines( local shop $20)

Ethonal content analyzer (sbd analyzer with bluetooth $250)

What ethonal sensor are yall using? Is It the gm #14577429?
Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Great info guys

About to do this too, just have couple questions
Exactly what all is in a flex fuel kit?

Ethonal sensor ( gm flex fuel sensor $40)

Fuel lines( local shop $20)

Ethonal content analyzer (sbd analyzer with bluetooth $250)

What ethonal sensor are yall using? Is It the gm #14577429?
Am I missing anything?
Just finished my setup this weekend.

Need something to convert frequency to 0-5V output. I used the Innovate because it not only converts the signal to a programmable output, it also displays the ethanol content as well as fuel temperature. Most kits just use the Zeitronix, which is mounted by the batter since that is where you tie it into the secondary air pump connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZX1FBK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You need the connector for the air pump.

https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/4160

You then need the sensor

https://www.racetronix.biz/product.asp?ic=13577379

You then need to run the lines, which I have attached pictures.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.