Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visited a dealer in my area the other night. He seemed like a really chill guy. Very honest, didn't seem like a typical salesman. He has 2 allocations and one has a deposit on it already. He said he doesn't ever sell cars over MSRP and this would be no exception. He was asking a $1000 dollar non-refundable.
I am tempted to bite the bullet and lay claim to that last allocation (not sure how hard they actually are to get at this point)

My plan is to lease but I don't yet know the MF or residual info. He calculated 1550/mo for 39mos with 0 down based on 2012's Base MF. Does that sound right?

How should I approach negotiating price or MF?

I am pretty much ready to put down the $1000 (Blue!). Veni Vidi Vici. I just want to at least feel like I am getting the best deal I can within reason.

Thanks people.

·
illmike
67 Posts
Im confused on why people lease....1550 x 39 = $60,450, then you give the car back and never see that money again...If you buy the car at msrp (put a down, finance the rest at 48/mo, 60/mo or whatever) then resell it for about 20k under MSRP (seems like that's the avrg '09-'10 under msrp used GTR's are going for) you don't take as much of a hit? unless i'm wrong somewhere in the picture-

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Visited a dealer in my area the other night. He seemed like a really chill guy. Very honest, didn't seem like a typical salesman. He has 2 allocations and one has a deposit on it already. He said he doesn't ever sell cars over MSRP and this would be no exception. He was asking a $1000 dollar non-refundable.
I am tempted to bite the bullet and lay claim to that last allocation (not sure how hard they actually are to get at this point)

My plan is to lease but I don't yet know the MF or residual info. He calculated 1550/mo for 39mos with 0 down based on 2012's Base MF. Does that sound right?

How should I approach negotiating price or MF?

I am pretty much ready to put down the $1000 (Blue!). Veni Vidi Vici. I just want to at least feel like I am getting the best deal I can within reason.

Thanks people.
Put a few dollars down and borrow the money.....I recently borrowed 100K at 2.84% over 5 years and my payment is $1515 a month....it'll be payed off ths year but irregardless it seems that spending over $60K on a lease is not a good financial move (on top of buying a $100K toy).....you still need to have all the numbers before you make a decision to put a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit on a car.....what if he comes back and says his numbers were wrong and the payment is a hundred or so more?.....I would pass on the lease or make a commitment to buy it.....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Im confused on why people lease....1550 x 39 = $60,450, then you give the car back and never see that money again...If you buy the car at msrp (put a down, finance the rest at 48/mo, 60/mo or whatever) then resell it for about 20k under MSRP (seems like that's the avrg '09-'10 under msrp used GTR's are going for) you don't take as much of a hit? unless i'm wrong somewhere in the picture-
Leasing makes sense for cars that have residuals that are artificially high because the manufacturer is subsidizing it, and the time period is 3 years or less, where most of the depreciation occurs. Most of the time, the car will be worth less than the residual value at the end of the lease. The GTR is a special case, where the market value of the car is higher than the residual value. In that case, you can lease, then buy the car at the end of the lease and try to sell it your self, or buy it and sell it back to the dealer.

·
Happy in Hermosa
1,534 Posts
A lease only makes sense if you cannot make a decent down payment, and/or change cars every year or so, and/or can right off all/most of your lease as a business tax deduction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I have flip flopped on this decision more times than I can count but I have finally decided to finance the car for 5 years. With about 20-25k down my payments would be 1450-1550/mo with no risk of being upside down. If it doesn't work out for any reason I can always sell.
Putting in my deposit tomorrow and I should have time to figure out who I want to finance through before it April delivery.

I have no experience with financing or leasing but it has finally occurred to me that there are many benefits to owning the car. Unlimited mileage, modding, satisfaction of ownership, better value etc. In all likelihood I will keep the car beyond 3 years, and leasing would be too limiting. The initial allure was similar payments without putting a large chunk of my savings down. Financing it will be a larger upfront cost but I will have equity in the car. Resale values are looking good so I think this is the way to go.

·
illmike
67 Posts
Thanks guys. I have flip flopped on this decision more times than I can count but I have finally decided to finance the car for 5 years. With about 20-25k down my payments would be 1450-1550/mo with no risk of being upside down. If it doesn't work out for any reason I can always sell.
Putting in my deposit tomorrow and I should have time to figure out who I want to finance through before it April delivery.

I have no experience with financing or leasing but it has finally occurred to me that there are many benefits to owning the car. Unlimited mileage, modding, satisfaction of ownership, better value etc. In all likelihood I will keep the car beyond 3 years, and leasing would be too limiting. The initial allure was similar payments without putting a large chunk of my savings down. Financing it will be a larger upfront cost but I will have equity in the car. Resale values are looking good so I think this is the way to go.
Makes sense...60 is a big hit for only 3yrs...for financing try Penfed they offer a low 1.99 for 48 months or 2.49 for 60. Up too 70k

·
Registered
146 Posts
if you end up buying the car at the end of lease you may be able to get back a good portion of the money u put down...either way if u finance the payment will be very similar but on the lease u wont have to put much down and maybe you could do something else with teh 25k 30k ur putting down....at the end of 3 years you will have paid a similar amount already and you can just buy the car and sell it..residuals from 12s dont quote me on how accurate are in the low 60s...you can sell your 2013 in 3 years for way more than that...im in a similar position myself....did they give you an official quote?

·
Registered
21 Posts
What are the buyouts on these cars after lets say 36 months. Most leases I have see are around 1400-1500 a month. Your paying 50,000 in 3 years to lease and the buyout on these cars is what 65k max in 3 years? That means your paying 23k over invoice to lease a car...NO THANK YOU.

I understand why leasing seems attractive, it can get you into a expensive car that you could not normally afford...but if you think about it in the long term you are paying a TON of cash to rent something.

The only reason I leased my BMW is beacuse I would be paying 15k over the length of the lease and the buyout was 14k below the price of the car. There are good lease deals....however leasing a GTR probably isnt one of them.

·
Happy in Hermosa
1,534 Posts
The benefits to leasing are low down and tax writeoff. If, say, you are in the 25% tax bracket, 50k over 3 years is really $37,500 out of pocket, not including whatever your State tax issues are. Every person is different.

·
Bone Stock
236 Posts
I'm leasing mine for 39 months--my buyout is $51.3K at the end of the term. Needless to say, I'm definitely buying out then.

The advantages of leasing are all above, but for me it was:

1. Tax writeoff
2. Minimal to no down payment (just bought my wife an Audi Q5, liquid cash was a little low at the time)
3. I got a great deal. Almost $3K under MSRP with good MF and residual numbers (factoring in that I would almost definitely buy at the end of term). Also, I knew the 2013's were around the corner and had a feeling the price was going to get jacked up. Boy am I happy that I got the 2012 BE instead of the insanely overpriced rear carbon spoiler with the 2013 GT-R attached.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm leasing mine for 39 months--my buyout is $51.3K at the end of the term. Needless to say, I'm definitely buying out then.

1. Tax writeoff
2. Minimal to no down payment (just bought my wife an Audi Q5, liquid cash was a little low at the time)
3. I got a great deal. Almost $3K under MSRP with good MF and residual numbers (factoring in that I would almost definitely buy at the end of term). Also, I knew the 2013's were around the corner and had a feeling the price was going to get jacked up. Boy am I happy that I got the 2012 BE instead of the insanely overpriced rear carbon spoiler with the 2013 GT-R attached.
Seriously your buyout is $51k??? Shit..I may lease one then lol. Whats your Mo. payment if you dont mind me asking

·
Registered
3,894 Posts

1. Tax writeoff
so the residual is under 53%?....sorry but that does not seem right....

·
Registered
146 Posts
thats amazing...if you guys don't mind..can someone please give me a quick crash course in leasing..everything from mf..to residuals..and everything in between...this will be my first time leasing if i decide to take that route...this is all new to me

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
thats amazing...if you guys don't mind..can someone please give me a quick crash course in leasing..everything from mf..to residuals..and everything in between...this will be my first time leasing if i decide to take that route...this is all new to me
leasing is basically buying the depreciation for a certain period of time.....the residual is the % of the MSRP that the car is worth at the end of the lease....the higher the residual the better off you are because the less you nees to "borrow".....you can still negotiate the purchase price to decrease the amount that the depreciation will cost you.....the money factor is essentially the interest on the money you "borrow" from the bank....

for example.....MSRP 100,000....residual is 60,000....so you negotiate a purchase price of 97,000 and you put down 5,000 (call cap cost reduction) so you need to "borrow" 32,000....the lower the money factor the better.....you multiply it by 2400 to get the APR.....so if the lease is 36 months you have your principle and APR.....then you can figure out the payment....

the more money you "put down", the less you need to "borrow"......every 1,000 is about $30 a month on a 36 month lease.....

At the end of the lease you can buy the car for a predetermined amount or turn it in....

Not sure if that makes sense or not....

·
Bone Stock
236 Posts
so the residual is under 53%?....sorry but that does not seem right....
Don't know what to tell you. Here's my buyout amount. I have already decided to buy the car at the end of term, so I'm not worried about mileage, modding, etc.

Before people make blanket statements about why leasing is better or worse, you have to understand that each person has a different situation and it ultimately comes down to timing and "the deal". For me, leasing the GT-R is going to give me lower monthly payments, and will actually cost me less overall than financing outright (very convoluted explanation to this). In short, if you are temporarily cash poor, but have a large stable income (me: orthopedic surgeon, wife: successful entrepreneur) this method can be cheaper if given the right numbers. Instead of giving a $50K down payment on the car initially, then financing the rest, I'm basically doing it the opposite way with tax benefits.

Attachments

·
Bone Stock
236 Posts
Do your homework on leasing. There are a million different resources online about it, and it will make you a far more informed customer when you make your deal. The biggest thing to remember is that the most important factor in the deal, just like in buying, is the agreed upon purchase price. The other factors are definitely important, but not as much as the negotiated price.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.