Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I don't buy wheels often and i'm starting to think about it.

I have a set of stock wheels as well as a set of Niche wheels i bought very cheap off of a friend. I LOVE the design on the Niche wheel but i want something better in quality. I just stumbled on a thread showing a car with a set of Velgen VMB5's and they're near perfect in terms of the look i want. Problem is i know nothing about Velgen wheels and i'm not one to dump a few G's without doing any research. Here is a pic of my car as it sits now.

The look is what i want. But the wheels were bought second hand and up close they're trashed from numerous track days. There is another side of me that wants to just say "Fuck it" and buy a set of HRE's (cause i'm doing this once)....but at the same time if i can spend half the money on a good quality wheel i'd have no issue with it.

Thoughts? Anyone have info on Velgen?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
I don't buy wheels often and i'm starting to think about it.

I have a set of stock wheels as well as a set of Niche wheels i bought very cheap off of a friend. I LOVE the design on the Niche wheel but i want something better in quality. I just stumbled on a thread showing a car with a set of Velgen VMB5's and they're near perfect in terms of the look i want. Problem is i know nothing about Velgen wheels and i'm not one to dump a few G's without doing any research. Here is a pic of my car as it sits now.

The look is what i want. But the wheels were bought second hand and up close they're trashed from numerous track days. There is another side of me that wants to just say "Fuck it" and buy a set of HRE's (cause i'm doing this once)....but at the same time if i can spend half the money on a good quality wheel i'd have no issue with it.

Thoughts? Anyone have info on Velgen?

Thanks in advance.
The image of your car is not showing up bro.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about now? Imgur is being a pain in my dick lately.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
It's working now.

You should get that pain looked at.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's working now.

You should get that pain looked at.
Yes i should. More importantly what do you know about Velgen or any other wheels for that matter?

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Yes i should. More importantly what do you know about Velgen or any other wheels for that matter?
First I had heard about them as well.

Niche has been around for a long time. What about just having them redone as an option?? You could go mild to wild depending on your taste.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First I had heard about them as well.

Niche has been around for a long time. What about just having them redone as an option?? You could go mild to wild depending on your taste.
in my mind it's hard to justify spending $500+ to have the wheels re-done when a new set can be had for ~$1k.....

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
forgeline makes some bad ass monoblocks light and good looking stuff,
iss forged are cool and different
strasse forged

all three companies make different style and have wheels for 4500-6000 that make sense

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Imo, just have patience and keep looking on here for a nice set that fits perfect that already has tires mounted. That way you don't have to go through all that and risk getting nicks or scratches. Some awesome wheels come up on here every week or so it seems. I'll have some BE wheels and spacers that match up for sale soon if interested. Haven't heard of the brand you mentioned. I can't stand waiting 5-6 weeks for wheels to be made. And paying full price when there are tons of wheels for sale in great condition, slightly used. Even new sometimes

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/135169-new-wheels-on-blue-chrome-gtr-incurve-wheels/

^^^^These are my wheels. They are definitely the look you're going for with that velgen wheel. This company is very established and makes great, strong wheels. I also have the TPMS's and MPSS tires mounted that are basically new. I'm thinking about going back to stock wheels for the winter. Send me a pm and I can tell you about my wheels and wheel history.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DLad

Are you looking to sell or just provide info? I like the wheels a lot. Also... What size are your MPSS's?

Thanks.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
Pm me and I'll give u my cell...we'll talk...

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
I can't start a convo right now from my cell. Not sure what's wrong with it

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
Pm sent. It just worked..

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
http://www.gtrlife.c...incurve-wheels/

^^^^These are my wheels. They are definitely the look you're going for with that velgen wheel. This company is very established and makes great, strong wheels. I also have the TPMS's and MPSS tires mounted that are basically new. I'm thinking about going back to stock wheels for the winter. Send me a pm and I can tell you about my wheels and wheel history.

Damn, dude.. Not to threadjack but that wrap you have is spectacular. I bet people flock to your car.

OP, I actually think those wheels and that setup you currently have looks really good. I know you said they are trashed, but maybe just find a wheel refurbisher and get a quote? Your car looks great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OP, your current wheels appear to be Niche Targa, but do you know if they are forged or cast? Apparently Niche sells the Targa in both cast and 3 piece forged. I ask because if they are forged I would simply have them refinished, as Velgen VBM5 wheels are cast. Otherwise, if the current Niche wheels are cast, why not step up to a set of their forged wheels? I almost bought a set of Niche Enyo wheels prior buying to my Forgestars, afterward I learned the F14s aren't even forged...but "Flow Formed" which isn't as strong as forging.

Something to consider since I'm under the impression you track your car, the Velgen wheels are cast

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Niche, if the no item forged, are Excellent quality. Some of the most expensive wheels on the market come from MHT wheels who make the niche. I've had 3 sets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
Damn, dude.. Not to threadjack but that wrap you have is spectacular. I bet people flock to your car.

OP, I actually think those wheels and that setup you currently have looks really good. I know you said they are trashed, but maybe just find a wheel refurbisher and get a quote? Your car looks great.
Thanks man. It is indeed quite the head turner.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
get the vorsteiners. I am about to pick up a set less than 2k shipped.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts