Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
AMGfan
2,786 Posts
I am thinking of taking one of my cars to the Philippines (it will be a used car by the time I am ready to ship). Does anyone know the protocol and the behind the scenes navigation of this process? I will do my due diligence via official resources (i.e. governmental) but I wanted to know if someone had any personal experience with this or know of anyone that has done this...

I have experienced enough Filipino government red tape to know that things are never straight forward and simple...who you know at times can mean a lot in getting things done. Thanks ahead of time...

Jon

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Only work with a company who ships down to there and speak with others who have shipped.

for starers your easily looking at about from the So.cal area port of long beach for a 20ft container about $3400usd. + also loading charge / bracing charge.

Car can not have any fuel left in it at the time of loading meaning has to be completely empty / battery has to be disconnected.

Pay someone to do the customs paperwork for export.

18,286 Posts
Only work with a company who ships down to there and speak with others who have shipped.

for starers your easily looking at about from the So.cal area port of long beach for a 20ft container about $3400usd. + also loading charge / bracing charge.

Car can not have any fuel left in it at the time of loading meaning has to be completely empty / battery has to be disconnected.

Pay someone to do the customs paperwork for export.
I thought that they were allowed to have up to an 1/8th of a tank?

·
Registered
741 Posts
+1, I sent the car from Long Beach to Korea a few months back and they said 1/8th fuel was fine.
Shipping part was breeze but once it landed, headache began... import inspection, emission and etc.
For a reference, it did cost me $2400 for 20ft container, bracing, insurance and export related doc. handing. Also, DOT holds the title for 72 hrs for a verification before shipping.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
The companies I have dealt with, say run it until the car stops running.

There are a few guys on here that have shipped cars to PI. Check out the Alpha 12 in Manila thread.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have known only a couple of people who shipped cars to the Philippines, and each of them swore they would never do it again. I assume that you are aware of the up to 100% surtax that will be levied by customs. From what I understand, it is pro-rated based on the cars age. I guess that is why GT-R's on the gray market go for P7.5M or so. Using a P43 per $1 that is roughly $171K or just under double the US sales price. One of the guys had a fairly large business on SBMA. When he decided he needed to use his car off site, they charged him the MSRP to register it. Things may have changed since then, or if you have contacts in Customs or DOTC, they may be able to help out. In any event, good luck. I'd like to hear how you make out as I have thought about doing this exact same thing as well, if and when we retire there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
to make things simpler for you. if you're the one who is going to bring in the car yourself, I'll tell you straight up, don't even bother. you're going to ask for a big trouble UNLESS you know someone in Manila who sell cars in grey market. these sellers already have connections from the port all the way to the customs and all the way to LTO (DMV in our terms) and people inside TMG (Traffic Management Group). If you don't, in all honesty, don't bring in it or else you're going to have a hard time and pay more than what you've bargained for.

If you're also thinking bringing in European brands from the US and want to service those cars in a local dealership, you will have to pay a huge amount for "initiation" fee as the dealers will totally jack up the service/maintenance fee because you didn't purchased the vehicle locally. I just went to PGA cars (authorized dealer of Audi and Porsche) in EDSA and was blessed to see high end vehicles. One of which is a Carrera GT US version and the owner bought a new Porsche 911 at the dealer to "off set" the "initiation" fee and for the local dealer to service his Carrera GT. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have known only a couple of people who shipped cars to the Philippines, and each of them swore they would never do it again. I assume that you are aware of the up to 100% surtax that will be levied by customs. From what I understand, it is pro-rated based on the cars age. I guess that is why GT-R's on the gray market go for P7.5M or so. Using a P43 per $1 that is roughly $171K or just under double the US sales price. One of the guys had a fairly large business on SBMA. When he decided he needed to use his car off site, they charged him the MSRP to register it. Things may have changed since then, or if you have contacts in Customs or DOTC, they may be able to help out. In any event, good luck. I'd like to hear how you make out as I have thought about doing this exact same thing as well, if and when we retire there.
true UNLESS you have the right people and have the right connections but personally, by yourself, it would be really very hard.

·
AMGfan
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
true UNLESS you have the right people and have the right connections but personally, by yourself, it would be really very hard.
You really can't get anything really done smoothly without some insider help...just from personal experience in other matters

·
Registered
7 Posts
It can be a bit of a pain as others have mentioned. I've done it twice and it was much easier the second time, mainly due to the company I used knowing their stuff. (A1 auto transport if anyone needs a recommendation.) You're on the right track by doing your own research though. THere's definitely some less reputable companies out there just looking to make a quick buck and not really providing quality service--you can see how this could develop into a big problem when shipping between countries. My advice would be to reach out to 3-4 shippers based on what your research yields and then contact them to see which one you're most comfortable with. Best of luck.

·
R35 Member
909 Posts
GL!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts