Nissan GT-R Forum banner

Need your Opinion... 2 Post or 4 Post Lift for my home garage... ?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  CalgaryGTR2013 
#1 ·
Just looking for a little input. Looking to put a lift in my garage. Cant decide between a 2 or 4 post lift.

Both can lift a car and fit another one under it.

- 4 Post just drive on it and you're done
- 2 Post you need to align the lift legs after positioning the car

- 2 Post allows for easy rim and suspension work
- 4 post requires all four wheels to always be on

See less See more
#3 ·
They make attachments I've seen to lift cars up on a four post to remove wheels if needed.

What's your primary purpose for the lift storage would be 4 post all the way

Maintaince in garage 2 post is the way to go.

There s also a four post with dollies that can be moved around and so you can swing it in and out of the garage.

#4 ·
I do alot of work on my cars, but the main feature i would be interested in would be lifting the car up and being able to store another car underneath.

#6 ·
I love my two post. Just make sure the front arms are three piece and not two or you will have trouble getting to good points to lift the GTR.

#7 ·
I have a 2-post lift. Great for working on the cars.

Currently, I have my GT-R sitting on top of my Z06, both sleeping for the winter.

My lift (Mohawk System 1) has 2-stage arms. I have jacking pucks for both the GT-R and the Z06, and lifting is no problem at all.

I lift 5 different vehicles from a Smart car to a 3/4 ton 4 door long box turbo diesel pickup--one just as easily as the other.

If storage is your primary purpose with little intention of doing mechanical work, then the 4-post is likely your best option. If you are going to be doing regular mechanical work, then the 2-post may be your better option.

Be very conscious of what is the thickness of the concrete pad of your garage and what are the specs of the concrete. The 2-posts have greater requirements for pad thickness. Also be aware or your ceiling height.

#8 ·
I am pretty set on a 2 post lift. Now I'm researching brands! What do you guys own and how long have you had them?

#9 ·
Mohawk System 1--I've had it since Sept.

I researched this for a long time and I switched brands on 3 occasions as I learned more about these. Initially, I started with the cheaper brands--such as Direct Lift (I think you can even find them at Costco) in the 2-2.5K price range-- then went to more expensive ones--Rotary and Bendpak. I have a good friend who owns a GM dealership. He installed a John Bean 10,000lb lift for almost 5K installed (I'm Canadian so prices are a little higher than in the US). I went over to see it and take some pictures. Then I found the Mohawk. The John Bean in comparison could have a Fisher-Price label on it for all intensive purposes.

The Mohawk shipped weight is 2500 lbs. A lot of the others weigh in the range of 1200-1500 lbs. The Mohawk looks like a 30,000 lb lift in comparison. The drawback is the price--$5900 CAN ($5400 US I believe). When I have a 7000 lb vehicle suspended over my head, I want the most solid lift I can get.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
I went with the Forward 10,000 lb two post. I've had it for almost a year now. Could not live without it now. I even use it when its time to clean and polish the car. No need to bend over and strain the old back.

#13 ·
Sorry to jack your thread.

My garage is not tall, and I can't raise the ceiling as is will take away from two bedrooms. Would it be a waste to have a two post lift, just for lifting the car to do wheel/tire changes and basic maintenance?

#16 ·
Even is you can only lift the car a few feet of the ground, a 2-post lift is the best tool you could ever buy. When I bought my 2-post lift, I could barely fit it into the garage, as the floor to ceiling height was only about 9'6" and the lift was 9'3".But as long as you don't make the car's roof hit the ceiling, it allows you to do all kinds of things that are so inconvenient with just floor jacks and jack stands. The GT-R is about 50" high. with about 5" of clearance from the bottom of the car to the ground. So you can lift it almost 60" off the floor inside a 111" height, giving you almost 5'5" of clearance under the car. So with a bit of safety margin, you can get at least 4-5 feet of clearance. But that made me want for more height, so I built a new garage with a higher central roof height to allow me to walk under the car without bending. Much better.

#17 ·
Hi, here's what I did at my home. I am restricted with height and width. Yet , I believe I have the best solution. Alright, it works very well for me.
I have what we call a scissor lift. There are many advantages and yet few inconviences. First and foremost, there are no post to deal with since the lift sits on the floor under the car. The lift is only 5 inches in height. So most cars will drive right over. My GTR is stock and sits too low, so I purchased two metal ramps so the car drive over and clears with room to spare. I will take some pictures. The lift also only raises the a height of 54inches. Plenty tall to do whatever you want. If anyone is interested to see my setup.. I can email some pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.