Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hit 600 miles and the owner's manual break in procedure for 600-1,200 miles calls for manually shifting and keeping the RPMs "relatively high", whatever that means? Does anyone out there have some clarification on the RPM range I should be running and the technical reason for doing it?

Also if there are any members or gatherings in this area let me know please. We have a monthly block party / car show here in Covington, LA on the "Final Friday" of each month that has vehicles from A to Z and now they are going to have a nice pearl white GTR added to the mix.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
So you bought the white premium at Northpark? I think the break in procedure isn't "that" important I would think that as long as you don't keep at a constant speed for long periods of time you would be Ok.

My name is Bryan and I have a 2010 Silver GT-R. I live in Covington as well. (no, i'm not the guy who parks his on Boston Street people ask me all the time, LOL.) We have a group of enthusiasts in the area that gets together every now and then. We do a cars and coffee type of meet alternating between NOLA and BR. We also go on drives on the curves up in Mississippi. I always forget about final friday, maybe because I seem to be working every time it comes around. Welcome to one of the best car forums on the net. People are very helpful here without much BS. PM me your info and I'll do the same. Always willing to get together to talk cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bryan and yes I got it there at Northpark. Now I'm learning to navigate the forum on top of reading the 3" stack of GTR manuals. I'll try to read/search the forum a bit before asking too many questions.

Lew

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Just hit 600 miles and the owner's manual break in procedure for 600-1,200 miles calls for manually shifting and keeping the RPMs "relatively high", whatever that means? Does anyone out there have some clarification on the RPM range I should be running and the technical reason for doing it?

Also if there are any members or gatherings in this area let me know please. We have a monthly block party / car show here in Covington, LA on the "Final Friday" of each month that has vehicles from A to Z and now they are going to have a nice pearl white GTR added to the mix.
Welcome -

It's just for breaking in the motor - having the rings seat etc.

Basically Nissan doesn't want you driving around @ 1,500rpms in 6th for the first 1000 miles.

So just drive the car in M and keep the RPMs UP.

You dont need to go WOT ( flooring it) - just slowly wind up the rpms and keep them above 3k.

I guess it's important to say not to just stay at one RPM all the time.

Downshift some time to time.. dont be worried, enjoy the car have some fun.

-John

·
Registered
139 Posts
There are numerous philosophies on breaking in any engine with 'rings'. The key is that you must sufficiently 'heat up' the engine so that the piston rings sufficiently score the cylinder wall and 'seat in'. And while these times are all over the table, driving in M, bringing up RPM sufficiently high for 30 seconds or so, then dropping down, and doing this a sufficient number of times will do the job. The manufacturers hesitate to say too, too much, but driving spiritedly, with high RPM's frequently, will do the job.

I suspect others will counter this, but, always made sense to me and have never had an engine burn oil. BTW, not doing this initially, doesn't necessarily hurt the engine, it just delays the 'seating' process.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts