Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Hello everyone,
Just received word from Albins about this interesting new gearbox, which is a COMPLETE replacement for the GR6 transmission.
Current pre-release pricing can be found here on our website for the transmission plus clutch options and additional control items.
http://www.speedfors...x35-p-4117.html

Albins AX35 Transaxle

A bolt in heavy duty transmission for use in Nissan R35 vehicles with extreme power levels.This unit has been designed as a direct replacement for the OEM transmission with internals designed to withstand the rigours endured in applications where the power levels are approaching 2000hp.The transmission features are:
  • 6 Speed Sequential Operation
  • Your choice of steering wheel mounted paddle shifters and automatic clutch operation (like OEM), manual sequential operation with a clutch pedal (not a gated shifter), or fully automatic computer controlled
  • Active centre differential
  • Oil Cooled active centre differential
  • Various clutched input options
    • Dry multi plate clutch with manual operation (requires a pedal and master cylinder to be fitted to the car)
    • Dry multi plate clutch with paddle control
  • Stand-alone operation eliminates factory TCM limitations. This requires a stand alone ECU such as the Motec M1
  • Replaceable drop gears front and back facilitate easy final drive changes for 1/8[sup]th[/sup] mile, short track to standing mile or terminal speed runs.
  • Multiple inspection ports for easy internal inspection and low maintenance
  • Gear Profile Ground gears for strength and durability
  • Isotropically finished gears for wear resistance and friction reduction
  • Wheel and Pinion manufactured with Klingelnberg Palloid system
  • LSD rear differential or spool option
  • Internal oil pump and filter system
  • Can be packaged as a 2WD or 4WD installation
Specifications above are indicative of AX35 initial release product and may change.
Pre-Delivery enquiries are being taken at present. Delivery to market date is expected to be Late April 2016.
Photo below of standard R35 Gear versus AX35 gear demonstrates gear tooth width differences.

I will post more information when available. In the mean time, feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
this is very very cool stuff! and 35,000 AUD is like $25K USD which is quite reasonable for an entire trans replacement. With some cars already over 2000whp on the beefed up GR6, what's the target market?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Damn, I wonder if they'll offer a cheaper option for a manual version eventually. I'd love a conversion but 25k for a tranny is out of my price range, but not unreasonable for what you get.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to edit the original post to include this new information:

1. A standalone ECU such as the Motec M1 will be required to run this transmission and keep the rest of the car happy.

2. To clarify on it's option shifting configurations:
- A traditional floor mounted clutch pedal, shifter, and master cylinder can be used.
- A steering wheel mounted paddle shifter can be used (like OEM), which sends a signal to a remote hydraulic master cylinder to control things.
- A third option is an electronic clutch control option which uses a computer to operate things like a traditional automatic transmission without paddle shifters.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
It's not a gated shifter like you might be thinking. The clutch pedal is used to get the car going from a stop, then you use the shifter paddles to change gears.

It works like a normal sequential transmission used in many racing series, but instead having a floor mounted shifter (like this car: http://www.speedforsale.com/customers/?vid=378 ) the paddles handle the gearshifts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So just from a high level point of view on this....my only thought on why I WOULDN'T buy this product over a SHEP tranny is the support. The known shops that do the major builds 99.999999% of the time use SHEP and for the people that buy trannies of this caliber, they are at those major events where SHEP is there for on site support. I think the seller of this tranny will back up this product but when you buy from a major manufacturer you don't get to speak to the "SHEP" of the company to help you figure out any issues you may have but a customer support representative. I could be completely wrong so if I stuck my foot in my mouth someone let me know.

Other than that factor I think this is a fantastic product.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1) Will you test this before selling to a customer
2) Is there warranty if it breaks?
1. Hopefully so, just as we have done in the past with testing Dodson's very first launch/versions of 1-6 gearsets, Sportsman clutch, ProMax clutch, etc. We have helped find and resolve several quirks with Dodson parts we have installed on transmissions we have built since 2009, and always resolved them at no extra labor fees to our clients. Albins said they are doing testing on a 7 second car, so from what I'm being told they are putting it through the ringer prior to release.

2. Albins has a warranty against manufacturing faults, and will have more details about warranty details upon release of the transmission.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.