1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Greyzilla activist
392 Posts
Just to add the data for the community
Engine oil: 50/50 mix Mobil 1 0W40, Motul 15W50
Used for 1238 miles- 90% track
Oil temp max 270+F
Oil still looks good, but with the high temp, I switch over to 50/50 M1 0W40, Castro TSW 10W60

My only question is does running such high temp for the engine matter much if my oil is breaking down?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Just to add the data for the community
Engine oil: 50/50 mix Mobil 1 0W40, Motul 15W50
Used for 1238 miles- 90% track
Oil temp max 270+F
Oil still looks good, but with the high temp, I switch over to 50/50 M1 0W40, Castro TSW 10W60

My only question is does running such high temp for the engine matter much if my oil is breaking down?
The oil isn't breaking down. And, yes, running such a high temp, while not necessarily destroying the oil or causing increased bearing or valvetrain wear,is bad for the engine. It is the high temps themselves that will eat the seals, sensors, and collected componetry of the engine. The metals can deal so long as the oil viscosity is right in there localized area, but the other "connected stuff" is another thing entirely.

I would strongly suggest datalogging the engine temperatures. If they are constantly that high, you need better oil cooling. If they are only peaking there for a short period of time, not such a big problem.

Adjusting the viscosity of the oil is only a temporary "crutch" for high engine temperatures, or a compensation for very very hot "spots" in the motor. What you want is the oil viscosity to be "optimal" at all times. (for the GT-R, basically Mobil-1 0W-40 at 195deg F). Adjustsments upward of the viscosity should be to compensate for slightly higher average temps, so you get the optimal viscosity when on track.

If this oil temp of 270 is a CONSTANT while you are on track, your oil viscosity long run will be a smaller amount of your worries. Occassional peaks, not so much, but if it's STAYING there. Wowza.

So, suggest datalogging to get an average temp. Suggest sending the new mix at 1200-1500 miles to judge consistency.

Otherwise, that's a fantastic oil analysis man. I don't see any good reason to change it at all.

Shawn

P.S. - you have posted ALL of your private information in that report. Home address, phone number, email, etc. I'd suggest removing that.

·
Greyzilla activist
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I will edit the info and put it back tomorrow
I did look my my datalog for temp
last 20 minute track session
amb 100+F pm track
temp started around 253-261F for most of the session
I started getting faster and so for about 3-5 minutes temp climbed to 264-271
Then I noticed it, then backed off to 257-259

I guess my questions how hot is too hot???
<260 F?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just got back my report. Called and confirmed the universal averages listed are for the 65 reports they have done on the GTR.
Only taken the car to the track once, and never got above 220. First oil change since buying the car back in March. Car is stock except for a tune by HP Logic

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.