Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I couldn't find anything about this on here, but there seems to be extensive threads on the BMW forums, Bob the Oil Guy, and a couple others. I tried to compile "facts" and added links to the better ones. There's also a $12/5qt Mobil 1 rebate [link and details provided below], for those that choose to stock up/hoard as a result (Walmart = $25.47-$12 rebate= $13.47/5qt jug) Limit 2

Mobil 1 has reformulated their 0W-40 into 2 separate products (FS and ESP), with the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 being the one to be used in our GT-R's. On the rear label of the jug, the new formulation is no longer stated to "Meet or exceed the requirements of... Nissan GT-R", along with BMW & Chrysler being removed. You can spot the new formulation easily, as it no longer states approved for BMW on the front label in yellow large font letters, simply stating "Approved for most Mercedes-Benz, VW, Audi & Porsche", along with small white FS letters to the bottom, far right, of the Mobil 1 logo, by the lower portion of handle. They have also drastically decreased their own recommended applications from 7 to 1, simply stating "Is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in applications requiring VW 503 01.", dropping SAAB, 3 FIAT's and 2 OPEL's.

Using the Mobil 1 "Find the Right Oil" tool from their site, it does come up with "Mobil 1 FS 0W-40" as their recommendation for the GT-R, though it has removed the old formulation from their recommendations altogether, and unsure if I should interpret this a true recommendation or not, since the new label does not reflect this. I'd like to see what other people thought on this topic, since it is no longer stated to meet the requirements of the GT-R on the label, and it was the only oil that we are allowed to use in our cars (besides Mobil 1 10W-40, but risk decreased performance). For BMW's, they can switch to German Castrol (BMW manual states Mobil 1 synthetic, while their oil cap states Castrol), we unfortunately aren't given an option.

It was stated in a Bob the Oil Guy forum when comparing the data sheets from the old and new formulations, that this new formulation is about 5-7% thinner and is barely a 40 weight, and will drop to a 30 weight as usage occurs (due to shearing, etc). The BTOG thread (page 4) also stated that the new formulation "Mobil 1 FS 0w-40 that is GTL based is actually VERY similar in viscosity to the original Mobil 1 0w-40 that was PAO-based" [original 0W-40= prior to R35??] and page 1 stating the new FS formulation is "10-20% PAO and 40-70% GTL" The new formulation is supposed to be better in cold weather applications. Some have speculated FS will provide less wear protection.

On page 3 of a Bob The Oil Guy thread of this new formulation, the topic of the GT-R came up, but a definitive answer was not given. http://www.bobistheo...obil_1_FS_0w-40

Explanation From a BMW Thread:
"Mobil has definitely changed the formulation, as the new oil is called M1 FS 0w-40 instead of M1 0w-40. The new oil uses a PAO and GTL (gas-to-liquid) base oil, whereas the old one used a PAO and Visom (Group III) base oil. A specification like LL-01 can't be changed and still keep the same number. They can introduce new ones, which BMW has, but BMW LL-01 will always be the same LL-01. The new reformulated oil doesn't meet LL-01 for whatever reason. If you use the find the right oil feature on the Mobil website, the 0w-40 no longer shows up."

Rebate Info/Time to Stock Up?/Tips
In the meantime, until this is clarified, those that choose to purchase/stock up on the old formulation prior to their next oil change, there's a $12/5qt rebate from Mobil 1 ($15 rebate with filter) until May 31st, limit 2. After rebate, it comes out to $13.47/5qt jug at Wal-Mart

I'd recommend purchasing in-store, rather than Walmart.com (free shipping on 2 jugs, but probably FS due to quick turnaround + cheapest retailer), so you can choose to buy the original 0W-40 formulation if available [Check rear of shelves, as they're bad about rotating stock. I found 3 bottles in the back of the shelf, behind a whole shelf of new FS 0W-40]. Also, remember shelf life per Mobil is 5 years. This week, the Advance Auto Parts store by my house had only the old formulation, while Autozone had only the new FS, so chain warehouse stock seems to play a role as to when it appeared/appears (along with region, individual store stock, and even part of shelf at store)

Mobil 1 $12/5qt or $15/5qt + filter rebate link:
https://apfco.net/se...235W/Home/Entry

Blackstone Analysis on unused Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (New Formulation):
http://www.bobistheo...FS"#Post4028326

Blackstone Analysis on unused Mobil 1 0W-40 (Old Formulation):
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3001485/1

BMW Thread Link, including direct communication with Mobil:
http://www.bimmerfes...64&postcount=37

Another Bob is the Oil Guy thread:
http://www.bobistheo.../1[/B][/U]

I attached pics of the front/rear labels of the new FS formulation, as well as the rear label of the old bottle for comparison. I got them from another site, since I don't have a bottle of the new oil yet (I don't remember which site, since I've visited many in my attempt to find out the differences.

Quoted from page 1 of the BTOG thread linked above:
"http://pds.mobil.com...1_FS_0W-40.aspx
Dated February, 2016. Of note, still no LL-01 approval. Looks quite different from the outgoing 0w-40:

Approvals:
- API SN, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
- MB 229.3, 229.5, VW 502 00/505 00, Porsche A40

Specs:
@ 40ºC .......................................................................70.8
@ 100ºC......................................................................12.9
Viscosity Index..............................................................186
MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) .........................................21600
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683).......................3.6
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896).......................................12.6
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874)..........................................1.34
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981).........................................0.1
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92)...............................................226
Density @15ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052).....................................0.8456

Versus the old M1 0w-40:

Approvals:
- API SN, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
- MB 229.3, 229.5, LL-01, VW 502 00/505 00, Porsche A40, Nissan GT-R

Specs:
@ 40ºC .......................................................................75
@ 100ºC......................................................................13.5
Viscosity Index..............................................................185
MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) .........................................31000
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683).......................3.8
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896).......................................11.8
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874)..........................................1.3
Phosphorous, wt% (ASTM D4981).........................................0.1
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92)...............................................230
Density @15ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052).....................................0.85

Looks like the new product is a fair bit lighter with a significant reduction in MRV viscosity
."

Attachments

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
That is interesting....So is the old formula still being made? It would on Nissan to recommend a different oil if the new formula no longer meets the minimum requirement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is interesting....So is the old formula still being made? It would on Nissan to recommend a different oil if the new formula no longer meets the minimum requirement.
The old formula is discontinued, but can still be purchased at stores that have old stock. I was able to pick up 2 bottles of the old formula at Wal-Mart since it's $13.47/5qt jug after $12 rebate (detailed with link in my original post) They had mostly the new FS in stock (I picked up 2 of the last 3 bottles). I'm debating if I should try other Wal-Mart's, and send the rebates to friend's addresses, if there's news that the new FS is inferior. I figured I'd wait before trying to stock up on many years worth of the old formulation (has a 5 year shelf life)

An observed timeline from the 2nd BTOG link in OP:
"Back in January IIRC, the PDS for ESP 0w-40 showed up on the US PDS search engine (though it still doesn't show up on the website) and the FS bottles began showing up in stores around the end of last year? In January the PDS for M1 0w-40 was pulled. More recently the website was updated to show the FS 0w-40 but there is still not a PDS for the FS 0w-40 shown on the US side." [PDS is currently available on Canadian side]

Nissan is definitely going to have to make a recommendation clear (either FS is fine, or less likely use another brand), but I figured I'd post this in the meantime, for those that are educated on the topic, or those with connections to information from Nissan directly. In the meantime, this post can serve as a temporary conservative recommendation for those purchasing oil soon, to look for the old formulation bottles if available (as a heads up, Wal-Mart seems to be bad about rotating stock, so the back of the shelves usually have the older products, that's where I found 3 bottles, behind the whole shelf of FS)

Watch Nissan have Mobil produce the "old" formulation, and brand it as a required special "R35 Oil" at $25 a quart, when the "old" formulation is depleted.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks for info - look forward to hear more about new version and if it is still recommended for GTR.

In the mean while, I ll run to local wall mart and stock up on some oil today and save few bucks with those rebates.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
This oil formula change is obviously not significant enough for Nissan NA to care or else we would have heard something by now
Hopefully this is the case and we get some clarification on this from them soon.

Also, I called the GT-R Hotline about this and as always they could care less and told me to "go talk to your local Nissan dealership about it". This their nice way of saying "we could care less and don't bother us"! The Nissan GT-R Hotline is a joke!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Also, I called the GT-R Hotline about this and as always they could care less and told me to "go talk to your local Nissan dealership about it". This their nice way of saying "we could care less and don't bother us"! The Nissan GT-R Hotline is a joke!
yea no kidding man, I called yesterday and I got some woman who didn't know jack shit about the car. Called it a "GTX" like 3 times and told me talk to my local dealer

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
If this is an issue Im sure Nissan will soon release a bulletin about it.
They are a little late in the game to release a bulletin since the new formula is already on the shelves. I'm really not impressed with Nissan NA as a whole since owning my GT-R. That includes the dealership network and just all around customer service. The car is great but that's about as far as it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
this is not good!!!! In for an update!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anyone happen to know which oil is recommended/required in the countries that have had Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 for a while? It's been available for years in some regions of the world. I was unable to find any user manuals from other countries, even when using their version of google and hola for region.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.