Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leave it stock. If you cannot resist the temptation to modify your car, only do "bolt-ons", e.g., larger intakes, injectors, downpipes and mid pipe, and a tune. Even the bolt-on route may void your warranty with Nissan, and they are the final decision maker.

I went the Stage 1 route a year ago and it turned out to be a waste of money and a ton of frustration with vendors. I just put the car back to 100% stock.

If you can't live without a race car, buy a late '60s muscle car and grab a wrench.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, terrible, e.g., see profile photo of my car on a tow truck a few weeks ago!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'll add that this was not my experience at all. FBO flex fuel and the car was much quicker and dead reliable!
Now I am full build 1k whp and we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'm sorry for your experience but I don't feel this thread is a good representation for "newbies" who are contemplating modding their car or not. If you wanted to help newbies then maybe you could warn them about the mistakes you may have made or things you would do differently given your experience. A blanket statement to not mod because you are a bit put off given your situation does not help others.

I did a lot or research on here and did my bolt on mods step by step and would never look back, especially after recently racing a stock same year GT-R on a 5000' runway.....insane difference.

To those who are considering mods do your research, go with what works and has been proven, find a tuner/shop that you are comfortable with and listen to them...a good shop suggests certain mods not to upsell but to keep you happy and on the road, not broken....but you have to listen! If you can't afford or don't want to do the recommended upgrades required for certain stages of mods then don't or wait until you have the ability to do it properly.....hence the reason I stopped at bolt on's, I can't afford to do a full build just yet.

Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
For new owners, Do your homework as mentioned. This site has the info you need to make an informed decision.

As the OP says, if you leave it stock you avoid the headaches and hassles of problems and you still have a decently performing GTR and you have your warranty.

Having other GTR owners that have "been there, done that" and/or a good GTR tuner shop to check with helps a great deal.

Know what you want, make a realistic budget, develop a well thought out plan, learn to drive your GTR well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts