Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Founder/Admin
25,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some already know the 2023 GTR can currently be ordered with production starting in November and features no changes from the 2021 per confirmation from the dealers. However there have been rumors out of Japan for over a year about a final refresh of the R35 that would some cosmetic changes along with some interior updates ( which some speculate is a digital dash from the new Z)

the latest update says this car is still supposed to appear in Japan next spring ( probably on sale in the US next fall) and will feature a new wing and new color options. the website seems to have backed off the reports of another full facelift like we saw in 2017.

●The final model equipped with a large GT wing will appear next spring!
Orders for the R35GT-R have been suspended, but that doesn't mean you can't buy it anymore. A model with minor improvements will appear next spring.
There were rumors of a skin change for the exterior, but according to the latest information, it is almost the same except that the rear wing is changed to a swan-neck type.
However, the impression should change considerably just by changing the rear wing that claims the image of Super GT. There will also be new colors added.

Minor improvements have also been made to the engine and chassis.
In the first place, since it is an improvement to comply with the noise regulation from October, it cannot be sold as it is, and some kind of hand is added.
Of course, performance improvement is a prerequisite, and since the GT-R with a pure gasoline engine will be the last, it is likely to be a fierce competition.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Founder/Admin
25,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is a lot we dont know about what the 24 will be and if it truly will be a send off final year. when the reports of a big facelift for the 24 surfaced I was confused because I questioned why put that much money into the car unless you intend to stretch it out another 5 years. the reports of a smaller change with a wing some colors and maybe the interior changes make more sense if this is one last year. the US didnt get a 2022 so the 2023 model year is kind of like the 2011 stop gap year before the DBA.

so a lot up in the air but its safe to assume another 2 years of the R35 for our market which is crazy to think about and I would have said no way this is possible in 2020.

no real mention of anything about a R36 other than a vague generalization that nissans wants to roll it out with their new solid state battery tech sometime around 2028

·
Founder/Admin
25,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if the article is right the swan style wing( thats a wing where the mounts are on top of the wing like a long swan neck.) will be very toned down OEM version of that GT500 they illustrated in that pic. its interesting and welcomed change even late in the game as the GTR has had the same wing since 2008!!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
New wing and colors, nice. Man starting to get embarrassing but atleast they are still building something.

Maybe green with a green dash and interior, wait they already did that.

Frozen white with a white dash and interior.

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
It's not like a refresh would cost them a lot, newly designed front and rear bumpers that fit the existing latest undertrays and a digital dash used in their other cars can't be that expensive.

@MC does the new Z have a DCT with new tech in it? If so maybe they can use that in the refresh?

·
Founder/Admin
25,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not like a refresh would cost them a lot, newly designed front and rear bumpers that fit the existing latest undertrays and a digital dash used in their other cars can't be that expensive.

@MC does the new Z have a DCT with new tech in it? If so maybe they can use that in the refresh?
hell no lol its got the 9 speed from the frontier and titan that just had a roll away recall on it ( thats being fixed)

·
Founder/Admin
25,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure this makes good business tactics.... unless it has big power increase, it will be DOA .. 700/600 tq will be needed.
I am going to say if its a 1 year car ( which that in itself doesnt make sense) you can take it to the bank the base trim wont have more than the NISMO 600 at the very most. screenshot this post :LOL: they have never taken more than incremental steps the entire 15 years this car as been out

speaking of which im not sure where this leaves the NISMO trim. the Special Edition had just 13 cars sent to the US and felt like a send off. ive heard 2 conflicting reports from the dealer ordering guide that the NISMO is still available as even a 2023 much less whatever this 24 will be. it still feels weird to type 2024 and R35 at the same time

·
Driver
209 Posts
I love the GTR, and am glad I'm an owner, but as Droptopp aluded, it' s getting a little embarrasing - I've already been told by a couple people that I drive "a living fossil" both in terms of styling and performance.
I know Nissan is in a tough spot, but if they are going to play in this arena, they need to really bring it, else they will be a laughingstock.
Any new GTR has to have a big increase in hp, and more than just new wing, and this just to compete, not dominate like they did the first few GTR years.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I guess as a “casual driver” who doesn’t beat up the track or strip along side the newest toys out there, my “living fossil” still garners a lot of attention and praise around here if they want to milk about her year or two out of the R35, it’s ok with me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It’s not like there isn’t already a ton of R&D out there about how to improve on the existing R35 platform. After all these years it’s a very tried and tested platform with multiple companies offering similar but reliable and proven comprehensive packages. While unthinkable I’m sure for a dinosaur company like Nissan, I don’t see why they can’t leverage this plethora of knowledge to tweak the design and line production with larger turbos, stronger engine / trans components add a quieter dual mode exhaust, a face / tail lift and a digital dash. If they want bonus points they could add a couple of gears to the transmission to improve fuel economy.

I don’t expect this to happen as their is so much red tape and regulatory hurdles for the smallest change. However when you look at Tesla, while not perfect they continually roll in incremental hardware and software improvements both before and after cars roll off the line. This fluid development mindset not only prevents the typical stagnation between refreshes, it also provides them with better supply chain resiliency. Still, I’m sure someone at Nissan would be happy to offer an explanation for why it’s just not technically or economically viable to do an incremental mechanical / electrical refresh after all these years. From the sounds of it they are spending all their time internally arguing back and forth about what the next GT-R should be without actually doing anything about it.

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
Think it’s going to remain a tuners car at this point. Nissan is beyond broke. Even at 600+hp they won’t sell any, nobody is buying them outside of a select few, special editions or not.

Anyone catch the Canadians run a M550i against a 17+ R35 on YouTube ?

They gave it props because they said for a 15 year old car it’s still running strong against the completion.

I was like, sure is, but I don’t think anyone has ever cross shopped a R35 and a M550i, maybe an M5 but gheezh. If you look at the 2008 competition that Godzilla beat up on back then, they’ve all left Nissan in the dust.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts