Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Just picked up the car yesterday and loving it, wish the factory tune didnt shift into 6 so quickly so picked up a Cobb on ebay. Bi-part question here:

1. Please see images attached and cobb SN, it says that my cars access port is not installed on the vehicle and it's locked on v2 #16777215. Not sure what this means, but when trying to test the engine and wheels I'm also getting another error stating "TPMS Service please try again". Is there a workaround, did I buy a counterfeit Cobb, or am I not doing something properly? <3

2. The car refuses to pass a smog test in Nevada, looking at any pointers on this. The ECM just isn't registering the CAT converter. Thinking it might be a computer issue since I'm also having issued w/ the flash tune.

BONUS QUESTION: Sorry all...brand new to the community just trying to educate myself the best way I can. What's the best way to go about replacing the exhaust (bang for the buck), been looking at mid pipes but not opposed to cat backs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SORRY! forgot to post pics before I hit enter, old man fingers (or a 15 day work week)...not sure which lol
t to post 64853446685__C094B9F3-C7D3-4A62-A359-5E567B56CC72.jpg
IMG_5535.jpg
IMG_5536.jpg
64853446685__C094B9F3-C7D3-4A62-A359-5E567B56CC72.jpg IMG_5535.jpg IMG_5536.jpg

·
Registered
705 Posts
Not sure about Nevada but in my state its the sellers responsibility to provide a passing emissions test at the time of selling the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
Hey all!

Just picked up the car yesterday and loving it, wish the factory tune didnt shift into 6 so quickly so picked up a Cobb on ebay. Bi-part question here:

1. Please see images attached and cobb SN, it says that my cars access port is not installed on the vehicle and it's locked on v2 #16777215. Not sure what this means, but when trying to test the engine and wheels I'm also getting another error stating "TPMS Service please try again". Is there a workaround, did I buy a counterfeit Cobb, or am I not doing something properly? <3

2. The car refuses to pass a smog test in Nevada, looking at any pointers on this. The ECM just isn't registering the CAT converter. Thinking it might be a computer issue since I'm also having issued w/ the flash tune.

BONUS QUESTION: Sorry all...brand new to the community just trying to educate myself the best way I can. What's the best way to go about replacing the exhaust (bang for the buck), been looking at mid pipes but not opposed to cat backs.

There are several questions here. I recommend that you call Cobb technical support (they are nice, smart people!) and tell them what the problem is.

You have a V2 that you bought on EBay. One question is whether or not it came to you as Uninstalled or not? The second question...and I'm not sure of the answer, but Cobb will know, is whether you can somehow uninstall the previous ECU flash by ANOTHER V2, which you don't have, and install yours.

If it doesn't pass a smog test, you must first find out why...what failed...then the next steps can be taken.

Alexd

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I don't use Cobb so can't help there but will address your exhaust questions. First off, determine what you exhaust goals are - while there are "subtle" differences, more systems basically sound similar so you're not going to get a "V8 thumper" from Brand X and a "Italian screamer" from Brand Y. The major choice you will have is "how loud" and "what material". Once you know whether you want volume (race exhaust), or just want to have a car that doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner. Recommend you start with a midpipe - just getting either a catless or catted aftermarket mid will completely change the sound of the OEM catback. You'll have options - no cats, cats, non-resonated, resonated (quieter), SS, titanium (lighter), etc. Once you decide based on your personal needs, then you can assess whether you still need a catback. From there, mostly the same choices have to be made - material, volume (muffled vs. straight pipe), diameter (90mm good for most folks, 102mm for free flow/high HP). A word of caution on Youtube videos - you can get an approximation of tone, but not actually how loud it can be, especially for straight pipe applications. Best bet is to find other GT-R owners near you (Cars n Coffee, find locals on here and coordinate) - then you can see firsthand what different setups sound like and better base your decisions on what is preferred.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I remember reading that cobb does not provide support for the v2 anymore. But I am not positive if it is only a certain type of support or all support. Doesn't hurt to give them a call.

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
I remember reading that cobb does not provide support for the v2 anymore. But I am not positive if it is only a certain type of support or all support. Doesn't hurt to give them a call.

They will answer your basic questions and common problems about the V2.

Alexd

·
mein teil
168 Posts
When I had my V2 AP installed even with a stock map, it would not pass CA smog as the car cannot go into readiness mode with an AP installed. Spoke to Cobb and they confirmed that I'd have to uninstall the AP to get readiness mode on. If you purchase Accesstuner you "might" be able to force readiness, but I only have experience with Accesstuner on Subarus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts