Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, new forum member here.

I don't own a R35 but I took delivery of a R32 GTR last May. I don't have any good pictures, so here is the old sale link of my car from HJA showing some nice pictures.

http://www.harlow-ja....uk/HJA026.html

Fortunate for me the first owner in Japan upgraded to a complete set of Nismo suspension, S-Tune coilovers, sway bars, strut bars, control arms, tie-rods, basically if Nismo makes it this car has it. Otherwise this car is all stock mechanically except for a full cat-less Reimax exhaust.

Then the piece de resistance and the reason I jumped on this car is the complete Nismo Alcantara interior, matching door inserts and all. Yes sounds totally crazy picking an old performance car based on its interior.

Other than typical maintenance and repairs of a car this age, I have installed a Nismo fuel pump and have exterior treated with nano ceramic coating. I also throw in a set of Nismo floor mat, because why not.

This is an excellent driver's car and I am thankful to experience the ownership of it. I look forward to join the Skyline/GTR crowd!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Fortunate for me the first owner in Japan upgraded to a complete set of Nismo suspension, S-Tune coilovers, sway bars, strut bars, control arms, tie-rods, basically if Nismo makes it this car has it.
Nice car! You'll probably get this pointed out by other Nismo devotees like me that there are a lot of Nismo R32 parts that car doesn't have but it's still a great find lol.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow you picked one up from HJA? Those guys are awesome and seem to have a connection in Japan to find the absolute best GTRs. Congrats man!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car did not come directly from HJA, although I was in constant contact with Ozz from HJA when I was shopping around. Communication with them was easy and response was quick, but if you follow them on Facebook or other media you would know they don't get too many examples. One a month or two the most, and 9 out 10 are not 25 years old yet.

My car was purchased by an individual in UK from HJA, who happens to be a customer of The GTR Shop. After months of back and forth I wrestle it from said individual.

Nice car! You'll probably get this pointed out by other Nismo devotees like me that there are a lot of Nismo R32 parts that car doesn't have but it's still a great find lol.
I meant the suspensions, not the whole car. As far as I know even the Nismo R32 didn't come with those suspension components, but let me know if recall wrong. The only Nismo suspension component available to R32 GTR that this car doesn't have is this:
http://www.rhdjapan....nr33-bnr34.html

But that is probably overkill for a street car.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing about HJA is that they are somehow able to procure some of the best R34's. This Mine's built R34 got me drooling all over.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.823336731144853.1073741916.147916448686888&type=3

Maybe I should buy it and have it stored there for another 8 years. Perhaps fly over there to drive it once a year.

Most of their R32's are sold before landing in UK. So the best way to buy from HJA is to contact them directly, and they will keep in touch with you on cars they newly acquired in Japan with fresh pictures and description. Put down a deposit if you find yourself a good example. Shipping from UK to Florida is around $1000-$1200 USD, and since your car will not be titled in UK they can give you some discount.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I meant the suspensions, not the whole car. As far as I know even the Nismo R32 didn't come with those suspension components, but let me know if recall wrong. The only Nismo suspension component available to R32 GTR that this car doesn't have is this:
http://www.rhdjapan....nr33-bnr34.html

But that is probably overkill for a street car.
Sorry, your wording made it sound like you were talking about everything. You're right, the Nismo didn't come with those components - the parts weren't released until much later - which is why I'm swapping them into my Nismo to replace the Cusco stuff it came with (although I'll be using an adjustable Tein EDFC setup instead of the S-tune coilovers). I'm also getting that front reinforcing bar you linked to (after I see if it'll clear my expanded oil sump) plus the rear one. The R32 is an awesome car but in terms of stiffness it's way behind modern standards so even though mine will be a street car as well I can see the benefit of the reinforcing bars. The performance dampers are a bit more questionable in benefit to me especially for their price but they do look cool lol.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, your wording made it sound like you were talking about everything. You're right, the Nismo didn't come with those components - the parts weren't released until much later - which is why I'm swapping them into my Nismo to replace the Cusco stuff it came with (although I'll be using an adjustable Tein EDFC setup instead of the S-tune coilovers). I'm also getting that front reinforcing bar you linked to (after I see if it'll clear my expanded oil sump) plus the rear one. The R32 is an awesome car but in terms of stiffness it's way behind modern standards so even though mine will be a street car as well I can see the benefit of the reinforcing bars. The performance dampers are a bit more questionable in benefit to me especially for their price but they do look cool lol.
Now you make me want to get them chassis reinforcing bars too.

Yeah the coil of S-Tune is non-adjustable, and the damper is only 5-click. All other brands offer many more different levels of settings in height and damping. And I totally agree with you, those performance dampers are more for show than actually functional.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few pictures of the Nismo components underneath. Plus a dry up dead bird corpse stuck behind radiator, imported straight from UK.
I thought the front strut bar was some generic brand, then up close I saw the Nismo logo. No idea why previous owner had it painted black.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Now you make me want to get them chassis reinforcing bars too.

Yeah the coil of S-Tune is non-adjustable, and the damper is only 5-click. All other brands offer many more different levels of settings in height and damping. And I totally agree with you, those performance dampers are more for show than actually functional.
At least your previous owner didn't weld up a bunch of bracing in the trunk like on my car. We had to remove that and a Do-Luck interior brace I didn't care for. Most of the mods were good ones overall but the owner before me didn't care for the car as much as he should. Oh well, it was a good excuse to rip out old stuff rather than try to keep my Nismo stock - which I didn't want to anyway lol. Your previous owner might have been like my car's and liked to keep things themed to one color hence the black strut bar. My car's bay was themed blue which wasn't bad but I didn't care for it so that's all gone now in favor of something that I hope will be much cooler.

Oh, and the S-tune coilovers are discontinued now so even though they're not very adjustable they're not a bad collectors item. I wanted them myself at first but the whizbang electronic adjustment on the Teins won out since it reminds me of my R35's setup lol.

And that's a weird place for a bird corpse lol.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought mine was somewhat clean, yours looks Superb!
Thank you! Mine was a one owner car in Japan for 24 years, and the 2nd owner in UK only had it for 6 months. Supposedly the UK owner was "going back to the Miata scene," but more than likely he just made a quick profit by selling to a dumb US customer, me.

After I got the car I had CQuartz applied professionally, so I can tell you the car looks better now than those pictures from HJA.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Over past couple months all the parts I bought - except rotors and pads - were finally installed either by a shop or myself. I was pretty close to pull the trigger on new Garrett turbos, but since I still have the stock narrow crank collar, I figure it's fairly pointless. So I decide to leave everything stock and just keep up with maintenance.

New Circuit Sport alternator puts out slightly more than 14v according to stock gauge (stock alternator displayed at exactly 14v mark). I guess the voltage regulator needs adjustment, but oh well.

Stock alternator had a worn bearing and was making a lot of noise. After replacement another noise emerged. I thought it was the water pump, so I decided to have timing belt replaced along with all other hardware, including Nismo thermostat.

Turned out that noise came from the tensioner, which was completely rusted and all grease was gone. Previous owner said timing belt had been newly replaced, which was true the belt was 90% new, but nothing else were replaced. I notice that is the trend with shops in UK, only that one bad part gets replaced, and no associated parts get replaced even though it would be pretty much the same job.

New valve cover gaskets, Nismo fuel pump, Nismo upper links, and new O2 sensors were installed, but I didn't take any picture from those installations.

Got some new Sylvania Zevo LEDs (newer fork style ones) because of all the awesome reviews I saw.

Left side are incandescent bulbs and right side are LEDs. Can you tell the difference? Me either. What a waste of money. They are relatively expensive as well.

·
R32 Member
371 Posts
Nice ;] It seems all us somewhat new owners have A Lot of carching up to do lol. The only things ive done so far on mine is fix vac leaks, oil change, and getting new intake filters this week, also ordering Red Line oils for all my Diffs/trans etc so I know it can be a little more trustworthy on the street lol. Soo much to do.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have boxes of drivetrain fluids still waiting to be changed that I purchased 2 months ago. I got Redline MT90 for transmission, Redline Heavy Shockproof for both diffs, and Matic D for transfer case.

Many people reported good feedback from using Heavy Shockproof in transmission, but Redline's website specifically mentions not to use Heavy in transmission due to erosion of the sychros from a GL-5 grade fluid instead of GL-4. So I was choosing between Light Shockproof and MT90 and went with MT90 eventually.

·
R32 Member
371 Posts
I have boxes of drivetrain fluids still waiting to be changed that I purchased 2 months ago. I got Redline MT90 for transmission, Redline Heavy Shockproof for both diffs, and Matic D for transfer case.

Many people reported good feedback from using Heavy Shockproof in transmission, but Redline's website specifically mentions not to use Heavy in transmission due to erosion of the sychros from a GL-5 grade fluid instead of GL-4. So I was choosing between Light Shockproof and MT90 and went with MT90 eventually.
Agreed. We were probably reading the same info lol. I was gonna go with the Lightweight for trans. Im still undecided, will make up my mind once the order process comes. But atleast youre all ready to go sir ;) Im excited to do some wrenching on mine.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Gearbox, transfer case, and both diffs have all been drained and filled. I choose Redline MT-90 for my gearbox, and it feels incredibly smooth, like I just got new synchros installed! I don't care how much others recommend using Heavy Shockproof in gearbox, MT-90 works great for me. I use Heavy Shockproof in both my diffs, as intended and engineered by Redline.

·
R32 Member
371 Posts
Gearbox, transfer case, and both diffs have all been drained and filled. I choose Redline MT-90 for my gearbox, and it feels incredibly smooth, like I just got new synchros installed! I don't care how much others recommend using Heavy Shockproof in gearbox, MT-90 works great for me. I use Heavy Shockproof in both my diffs, as intended and engineered by Redline.
As long as youre happy thats all that counts ;] I also completed my rear diff & trans lube, Also a oil change. Redline 75-90 rear, Lightweight shock. in Trans. & plan on doing my FDiff soon, RP 10-30 oil (only found 3qts of Amsoil Locally so I sacrificed for my first oil change). Im pretty sure IVI/Top Rank changed all the fluids besides the engine oil. My rear diff had crystal clear Heavy shockproof, and trans was really clean as well most likely mt90, seeing that Sean Morris Lives by the redline name. But atleast now I have some assurance of when everythkng was changed. Next for me is a Boost gauge, and a Clay bar/Black car Detail kit from Chemical Guys. Just enjoying the Drive while I can the remainder of the summer. Then winter wrench time, clutch slave, radiator, some more plans. :]

1 - 20 of 165 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.