Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
R35Audio
560 Posts
I have a new design of subwoofer enclosure which has nearly 30% more volume than my original design. One of the reasons why I wanted to do this was open up the market for a few more subwoofer options which weren't designed for a smaller box design. I'm always trying to improve and push boundaries with this kit and still have a self fit mantra for those who just want to fit it in their own time with the minimum of effort.

The main design change is the angled sides to the box which, whilst harder to create, add much more internal volume. The volume has increased from around 0.32cuft to 0.43cuft. Its slightly larger in height, utilizing all the space behind the OEM Bose cover. You will see from one of the images below that I have even created a slope at the top where the car's shape naturally starts to rise. This allows a nice tight fit against the back of the firewall for a perfect fit. It also includes a larger notch cut out of the bottom to accommodate a fixing bolt built into the car.

The system is still plug and play and I am now using Audison only connectors and power wires for my kits. They are top quality connections and fuse holders.

My current subwoofer of choice has moved from Sundown to Kicker. The Kicker L7 Solobaric 8" driver is an awesome accompaniment to the enclosure. It needs the extra enclosure volume I've created and with a power rating 50% more than the Sundown, it really does kick hard. There is nothing wrong with the Sundown SD-2 sub and indeed, I still have some in stock I can fit but they are very difficult to get hold of in the UK and their customer service is not what I expected. I wanted to try the Kicker with its 20% more cone area than a traditional 8" round subwoofer. It also comes in both Dual 2 ohm or Dual 4 Ohm coils so I can present either a 4 ohm or a 2 ohm load to an amp which gives more flexibility. I am extremely pleased with the results and have the kicker in my car now rather than the Sundown.

Another subwoofer this new design has allowed me to use is the Hertz ES200.5 8" driver. This sub is Hertz latest 8" subwoofer, coming out only a couple of months ago. Whist this subwoofer can't create the same SPL level of the Kicker or Sundown, it a much more musical sub. It gives clear, clean solid bass and is very good value for money.

The price of this new enclosure including a Hertz ES200.5 is £259. The kit with the Kicker L7 Solobaric sub is £324.00. These prices include the plug and play wiring kit attached (power wiring up to 300w).

I personally use Hertz amplifiers due to their high power to size ratio and extraordinary sound quality. They have a range of amps which use a chassis size that fits perfectly behind the carpet in the trunk for an invisible install. There is a picture below of my Hertz HCP1D sitting in the recess behind the carpet. This little amp is digital so doesn't run warm. With 700w RMS from this little beast, it devours all the subs I've thrown at it. Not cheap at £249 but you get what you pay for.

If anyone is interested, they can be bought from my website http://www.R35Audio.com where there's a currency converter if required and US shipping is just £39. You are welcome to join the discussion at http://www.gtrlife.c...t/#entry1341130 , reply to this thread or drop me a Message on here

Thanks, Andy

mkII-06.jpg

mkII-05.jpg

mkII-04.jpg

mkII-01.jpg

mkII-07.jpg

mkII-08.jpg

hertz-hcp1d.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Please pm price shipped to Texas 78239....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very interested. What's the deal with 2x the subs? Or is that just a fake one? Do the instructions explain the addition of the second amplifier?

Thanks.

·
R35Audio
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very interested. What's the deal with 2x the subs? Or is that just a fake one? Do the instructions explain the addition of the second amplifier?

Thanks.
No, definately not a fake
I produce a twin sub box for people who like their ears to blead with bass

You don't need a second amplifier, a single mono amp will run these subs off just one channel in 4 ohm. Recommend about 500w single channel amp.

I've tried a double box with dual Sundown subs and it rocks

Enclosure is more complicated to make and is an inch taller than the single enclosure but the price is still the same as the single one.

Link here to a couple of pictures on the main thread : http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/81566-great-custom-sub-upgrade/page__st__820#entry1209174

Andy

·
e85 member
2,724 Posts
With an amp and 8" aftermarket sub, what kind of weight gain do you think? Great stuff, by the way

·
R35Audio
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much for a twin sub box with 2 JL audios w7 in it?
I've posted a reply to your post on the main GTR section but in essence, the price for a double enclosure is $260 + $65 2 days shipping including plug and play wiring harness and fitting kit for an amp up to 350w RMS. You can get your own Sundown Subs as they are USA made. The W7 is a huge sub which would extend 4 inches into the back of your trunk if it were put in the OEM place Im afraid so you can't use them.

This Sundown SD-2 Dual Voice Coil sub is a VERY suitable alternative and has a huge long throw on the cone as you can see from the image. The top of the range Sundown 8" which is the next model up (the SA-8) shares many components to this SD-2 but unfortunately its an inch too deep. It has been used in a car to generate 150db however so its comes from a good thoroughbred

Quick video of my single without the OEM enclosure back on here :-

·
R35Audio
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With an amp and 8" aftermarket sub, what kind of weight gain do you think? Great stuff, by the way
These aren't light. The Sundowns will rip apart anything which isn't made like a rock including 18mm MDF and screwed every 6 inches. The OEM subs are cheap, thin and light and the enclosure is plastic (no wonder it sounds rubbish). I can't give you an exact figure but the difference has to be around 30 pounds if you include a new amp. Don't quote me on that
Much lighter than a big boom box in the boot however

·
Registered
996 Posts
Please pm price to 74134...thanks!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Since your giving up volume when adding a second sub, how does the two sub setup compare in terms of audio clarity and overall punch?

Please PM me a price for both setups shipped to 31401.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.