Nissan GT-R Forum banner
121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Superb build.... Poster material right there!

·
Track Rat
132 Posts
Superb build.... Poster material right there!
Thanks for the kind feedback, I always appreciate it.

Even though I rewrapped the injector section of my harness and built my own harness for all of the inputs/outputs I was using, I pulled the trigger on a wiring specialties pro series harness that they are custom building to integrate the Rife sensor block, oil temp sensor(that the Haltech can use), fuel comp sensor, rotary dial and secondary fuel pump relay. I never would have been happy until the entire harness was rewrapped and labeled with properly sheathed butt connectors rather than the blue electric tape nissan used in all those locations. Wiring Specialties said 3 weeks so the waiting game begins and Im preemptively scheduling my dyno slot assuming all the work Ive done was correct and the car starts right up and will drive itself on a trailer

·
Track Rat
132 Posts
Wiring specialties harness came in a couple weeks ago and I finally got around to installing it. Last night I did the first test crank to check for leaks and issues with the harness and it passed both tests. I got strong oil and fuel pressure so the next thing I need to do is play with the Ross sensors as I wasnt getting an RPM signal. Once I sort that out it will be off to the dyno and then Ill be enjoying the car until the first snow when Ill be dropping it off at the body shop for some paint.

Edit: I have RPM signal so now I just have to set tdc offset and get to tuning.

·
Track Rat
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Got her up and running for the first time since the initial tear down and she sounds smooth despite the fact that I have to throttle it to keep it running. I'm just using a Haltech basemap for a stock RB26 at the moment with tweaks made for my injectors, coils and additional sensors so I've definitely got some work to do to stabilize the idle.

Scheduled my tune with Moore Automotive in Gainesville, VA this morning and I'll be dropping it off on 11/11 for a full inspection prior to my tune on 11/18. There are no leaks as far as I can tell so I'm hoping they give her the go ahead and I get to make some jam on the 18th.

·
Track Rat
132 Posts
Finally pulled her out of the garage for a quick wash and some photos before dyno day. I'm not a good photographer at all and I'll be getting some professional shots taken after dyno day(may wait until after paint).

IMG-6746.jpg

IMG-6739.jpg

IMG-6751.jpg

IMG-6743.jpg

IMG-6744.jpg

IMG-6740.jpg

·
Track Rat
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Been awhile since I posted but there was a slight hiccup on the dyno and I didn't want to post until I had some final results. The car ended up making 545awhp at 21 psi using 93 octane pump gas but came up short on injector when we switched to E85 so the flex fuel tune is going to have to wait for the time being.

The first time it was put on the dyno it made it up to about 450whp before the water pump bearing failed and chucked the radiator fan through the radiator and coated everything in coolant. It took a while to get the replacement parts in, get them all installed and get back on the schedule to complete the tune but I should be picking the car up tomorrow or early next week.

To remedy the failure we went with:

Koyo Radiator

OEM water pump

OEM water pump pulley

OEM PS pump pulley

OEM timing belt tensioner

NISMO thermostat

SPAL 14" electric fan

Tomei Timing Belt

I've also received a new Fujimura Auto Rocket Flap and I'm working with the same guy that made the CF tail light bezels to build a complete carbon fiber replacement dashboard(not an overlay). Aside from that I've narrowed my paint color selection down to white and I'm working my way through all the different shades and finishes of white to decide what color this car will actually be.

·
Track Rat
132 Posts
Glad it's all coming together and ready for the spring weather. That's a lot of power on only 21 psi, another case for the debate of single > twin. Would be interested to see your curves.
The PSI I mentioned could be incorrect, I got my information from the kid at the counter and he isn't always on point. I'll get the dyno plots and post them up once all the snow we've got over the last 3 days clears up enough to pick the car up.

Edit: I called in the find out about a pick up date and a different guy answered and gave me different numbers. He says I made 490whp on 93 octane and 575whp on E50. I guess it's just a guessing game until I get the actual dyno sheets but anywhere in this range and I'll be very happy.

·
Track Rat
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Here it is, the official dyno chart. It wasn't far off from what the guy originally told me and it is incredibly fun on the street. I did have a couple issues on the 1 hour ride home where it tripped a P0373(RPM error) code but Moore Automotive told me they encountered that as well and it had to do with the Ross Cam Sensor not having a window to set the air gap. I've ordered the PRP cam sensor to replace the Ross one(still retaining the Ross Crank sensor) as the PRP setup allows you to stick a feeler gauge between the sensor and trigger plate. The PRP unit also holds the sensor parallel to the ground rather than pointing downward(ross points down) so it should be more resistant to backing out.

HPSCAN-20210217221539135-2021-02-17-2217

·
Track Rat
132 Posts
So as much as I love the analog feel and as much as I love banging gears I came across the HPR Tuning DCT kit for the R32 GTR and decided to pull the trigger on that setup. It utilizes the BMW F80/F82/F83 7 speed DCT trans and comes with engine/trans adapter, flywheel, trans mount, modified output shaft, spacers, hardware, etc to mate the Attesa transfer case to the BMW DCT trans and retain AWD while picking up 2 extra gears, much better ratios, 1600NM torque capacity and wickedly quick shifts. My knees aren't quite what they used to be and this car is probably 80% street driven so that DCT just made sense in so many different ways.

So far I've ordered the custom 3.5" aluminum driveshaft, BMW Eshifter, HTG GCU(trans controller) and an 80k mile F82 DCT. The initial sale starts on March 15 so I'll be buying the remainder of what I need then and hopefully have everything I need ready to go by the end of the summer for a winter swap over.

·
Track Rat
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Yeah I couldn't believe any shop would make a kit like this when I first read about it. Should make these cars feel much more modern to drive.
It was a no brainer when I really started going through pros, cons and cost. The car should drive better in town, be more responsive and probably get slightly better mileage all while providing incredibly quick shifts. I'm going all in with their kit, prewired control unit and Ascher paddle shifters.

·
Track Rat
132 Posts
So after all this time and effort I was finally able to get the GTR out for it's first track day since it arrived on US shores. The car performed very well except for running pig rich(9:1) at part throttle around 4500-5500RPM. I had no engine codes, no misfires, no heat issues(car actually never topped 210*) and no mechanical failures. I definitely consider this event as a brilliant success. The following day the power steering pump quite literally let go and sprayed down the whole engine bay at the top of a 3rd gear pull but I have the Two Six Engineering PS pump setup on the way utilizing the KRC Power pump and a stock equivalent flow control valve so I should be back up and running this weekend.

I paid the professional photographer at the event to send me every photo he had with my car in it so I have a little over 50 photos but here are some of my favorites with a link to my google photos album at the end.

IMG-2055.jpg

IMG-4088.jpg

IMG-6018.jpg

IMG-6329.jpg

IMG-6535.jpg

IMG-9015.jpg

IMG-9489.jpg

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMxaCfIswn3dta-6cfdQKpsIPfPD2RsuH25_mDU

In other news, I was able to source a very lightly used Tomei Expreme catback from a local guy and grabbed all new tubing as well as a Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator to make myself a new downpipe because this car is deafening without a resonator installed on the Apexi exhaust. After the track day one thing was incredibly clear to me, I need an oil cooler, so I have already ordered the Greddy filter relocation/oil cooler kit so now I just have to wait the 5-6 weeks for it to arrive from Greddy.

·
Track Rat
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I hope you overtook that Type R! lol
Hahaha, I overtook every car in my group at least once. This car is an absolute riot on the track and has the perfect amount of power and grip for what I was looking to do with it. I'm considering dropping in new front and rear diffs while the new transmission goes in but I still have a lot of research to do on which ones will best suit me.

·
Track Rat
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
I received the KRC pump and mounting bracket from Two Six Engineering and it dropped right in within minutes of opening the box. Very well designed and executed kit and it looks great in there as well. I think I may swap out the flow restrictor for something 1 or 2 sizes down for less assistance and more feel.

I also started receiving the parts for my DCT swap and I can't express how nice these parts look and feel. A lot of time and effort clearly went into designing this kit. Pictured is the bellhousing adapter, flywheel, transfer case adapter, billet oil pan, billet mechatronics cover, stealth shifter(straight out of an M4 but accepts the stock shift knob), HTG GCU and gearbox mount. This will be the winter project but for now I can start mocking it up against the transmission and make sure everything fits as it should.

IMG-7528.jpg

IMG-7655.jpg

I also picked up an RB30 block that I am going to start assembling now to drop in with the new transmission over the winter.

·
Track Rat
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I didn't realize how long it had been since I posted but I'm still here and still building/rebuilding this ole girl. Currently the motor/trans have been removed from the car and a new RB30/26 is being assembled by Syn Garage in NJ(head being machined and assembled by HeadGames). The chassis is sitting on my trailer awaiting it's turn at my local D&V Autodbody Masters who will be doing a complete strip and repaint including welding in a brand new OEM passenger rear quarter panel since mine had clearly been in some sort of wreck before I took ownership and is caked with body filler.

I ended up deciding on Honda's Championship White for the engine bay, exterior and trunk areas because I've always wanted white and that specific white seems to have more character than some of the other white paints I see all the time.

Spec's on the engine/drivetrain build happening now:

S2 RB30 Block
PRP Block Brace
Nitto Crank Collar and Sine Drive Oil Pump
Nitto I beams
Nitto 86.5mm pistons
ARP Main Studs/Head Studs
Head Games RB-5 Cylinder head package with Ferrea Valvetrain
Hi-Octane Expanded Oil Sump
Hypertune Cam Covers
6Boost Twin Scroll T4 Manifold for RB30/26
PTE 6466 Gen 2