Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am new to the GTR world and still have a lot to learn/research before pulling the trigger on one. I know the used GTR market is kind of insane right now judging from my constant hounding of Autotrader. My criteria is 80k max, 2012+, under 30k miles preferably and clean history. My other options for my first "expensive" car include a late model 2018+ E63s, 2018+GT350 or a gen 3 viper. All things considered i do have to take into account that I live in a town with hail, snow and other anomalies that could affect the roads at times. Vehicle will be purchased in full so not worried about payments but insurance does raise a slight concern due to the conditions of my location. Any input from you seasoned GTR veterans would be highly appreciated especially things to look out for when purchasing, vehicle conditions, mechanical issues i should know of and etc.. My current prospects are a white 2014 out of Portland, and a white 2012 out of Denver. There's very few for sale on the national market right now so you all should know exactly what cars I'm talking about. the 2014 has higher mileage (42k) and engine modifications, and the 2012 has been in a moderate accident according to Carfax. Also a concern I have had is that where i live is 6k+ elevation so would that have any sort of negative affect on the stock engine or modified? Thanks in advance, crazy times we are currently in with the used car market.

·
Registered
333 Posts
2012 still has the known tranny issues so I would shoot for 2013+. I just learned from another thread recently ( Need advice ! ) that the 2013 specifically is finicky in the fuel acceptability department so if you cannot get 93 you may have some issues.
Referencing Ed Bolian here, if the accident was not many miles ago it's a bigger gamble than if the accident was many miles prior to what it is now. That would show that the car has been running and driving seemingly fine for X amount of miles since the accident so any issues from said accident should have already made themself apparent.
If you have indoor storage and do not plan on driving the car during a hail storm that should not be a consideration for anyone besides maybe insurance but certainly not you and a personal decision or whether or not to purchase. I pay $155.825/month for full coverage on my 2016 GTR Premium and I live in CT, 28, no negative driving history.
I have 25.5k miles on my car and have had 0 issues (other than self inflicted by my curiosity) with anything at all. Changed brake pads once ($450), oil change myself using Nissan OEM filter ($20 maybe? I get them for free from a friend that works there) and AMS Oil (idk $40-60?) one to two times per year depending on what I've been doing, one set of tires not including factory ($2k-ish) and I think that's it. The car has been FBO/flex fuel since 11k miles.
Rotors are starting to make me think replacement will be coming soon which I am not looking forward to because those can be expensive.
I drive the car as much as possible except in winter (heavy salt up here). You won't regret it ?

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
You are really all over the place with the cars you are looking at. E63S / Gen 3 Viper/ GTR

Think you need to lock down what you want to do with the car. Doubt you’ll be driving any of them in the snow and hail otherwise you wouldn’t have a viper mixed in there.

Once you figure out what you want, the R35 has a few configs. They all have “transmission issues” but more for the lack of software and user interface than anything else. The transmission issues were more from the fact the 09’s could launch all day long and not require any type of cool down and the early buyers did just that. You take any car and launch it 20,30,40 times in a row (other than a 911 TT) you’ll be buying a transmission or clutch. p

CBAs are the most raw car on the street. Loud, bumpy and obnoxious (which I have no issue with)

DBAs started to move towards the GT mindset with a better ride with the 15’s redesigning the suspension and ride quality to a softer easier on the back ride. 16’s added noise cancellation and 17’s added a rocking new interior.

Tuned or built they are all the same speed wise so no need to worry about that. Plppooolpppppppp
Again, I’d lock down if you want a plush cruiser E63 - personally I’d run with an M5 which runs circles around the E63 on the street and on the track. But if you buy the Benz you wouldn’t even care as it’s a much different ride and style anyways.

From your purchase price target of $80k in today’s market, think you’ll have a tough time even getting a 16

The Viper is cool, but I don’t know a single guy that hasn’t 360’d them on the street. Just look at them as a mustang and a hellcat rolled into one lmao. I personally wouldn’t want a Gen 3. Plenty of issues including oiling and parts are getting hard to find, hate to say it but GTR will probably be cheaper to maintain.

The R35 does everything well and if you are going to build it eventually, you can drive them with 1500hp as easy as you can 500hp.

Good luck and take an honest lol at

Reactions: hj_s14 and richj92

·
Registered
2022 Mexico Blue M4 Comp xDrive
340 Posts
So I am new to the GTR world and still have a lot to learn/research before pulling the trigger on one. I know the used GTR market is kind of insane right now judging from my constant hounding of Autotrader. My criteria is 80k max, 2012+, under 30k miles preferably and clean history. My other options for my first "expensive" car include a late model 2018+ E63s, 2018+GT350 or a gen 3 viper. All things considered i do have to take into account that I live in a town with hail, snow and other anomalies that could affect the roads at times. Vehicle will be purchased in full so not worried about payments but insurance does raise a slight concern due to the conditions of my location. Any input from you seasoned GTR veterans would be highly appreciated especially things to look out for when purchasing, vehicle conditions, mechanical issues i should know of and etc.. My current prospects are a white 2014 out of Portland, and a white 2012 out of Denver. There's very few for sale on the national market right now so you all should know exactly what cars I'm talking about. the 2014 has higher mileage (42k) and engine modifications, and the 2012 has been in a moderate accident according to Carfax. Also a concern I have had is that where i live is 6k+ elevation so would that have any sort of negative affect on the stock engine or modified? Thanks in advance, crazy times we are currently in with the used car market.
Welcome to the forum.

I'm surprised you didn't include a M5 or M3/4 Comp.
I'm starting to be more biased towards the more updated and roomier sports sedans than the outdated, but still very capable, GT-R. Today, I'll be looking at a 2022 M4 Comp. xDrive in Mexico Blue @ $94K. I was hoping for an M3, but all of them are spoken for here in Colorado (which by the description of elevation and hail you gave, seems to be the place you're at ;) )
***UPDATE: went to see the M4 xDrive Comp. and was so close to closing the deal until my wife saw the white interior (we have a 10yr old). That was the deal breaker.
So we're thinking of ordering one, now that we saw one in person. Interior is so modernized, and M4 Comp are doing 0-60 in the low, low 3 second out of the box. Not bad for option B.

***Update to the Update: I bought the 2022 M4 Comp. xDrive.

The GT-R market right now favors SELLERS and NEW GTR BUYERS, in my opinion. The sellers part is obvious; GT-Rs are overpriced, and folks are paying asking price. The "new GT-R buyer" part is, in my opinion, the result of the eagerness of folks that have never experience "GT-R ownership", to buy and scratch that itch to own a GT-R no matter the cost. However, I think that folks like myself who have scratch the GTR itch and know the real deal (including the perks) of owning a GT-R are more reserved to jump in the market and pay $20K more for a GTR that cost less a year ago (used & new).

One thing you got going on your favor, is the number of pre-owned GTRs in the market. Check out my chart at the top of this thread: New and Pre-Owned GTR Market. I show the number of pre-owned GTRs available according to AutoTrader and CarGurus and also a chart showing the number of pre-owned GT-Rs available per year model.

With the kind of capital you have, if I were you, I'd buy new (of any of your options listed above) and finance the rest. 30k miles on a GTR is no walk in the park, and at $80k, I hope you have money for unforeseen repairs (worst case scenario). Just my two cents.

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
+1 on the M3/M4 AWD - fit and finish is exceptional on these.

Reactions: gixy2k

·
Registered
340 Posts
+1 on the M3/M4 AWD - fit and finish is exceptional on these.
So after hesitating for a few hours and thinking that I wasn't going to get it, I decided to pull the trigger. So now I'm a proud owner of one of the few M4 xDrive Comp. in the Springs. Got it right off the delivery truck with 22mi. Mexico Blue and silver/black interior. More electronic gadgets than I care for except for the LCD display. Brake in period is 1300mi. and tuned down during that period.

First impressions compared to the GTR:
  • Smother handling
  • Smother ride
  • Slightly more responsive acceleration (almost no lag)
  • The front feels lighter when changing direction in semi-aggressive driving
  • Functional back seats; my wife is 5'3" and had about 4" between her and my seat.
  • Carbon fiber roof, laser headlights, HUD, hand-gesture, tire pressure/temperature, lap timer, 360/cameras, almost fully loaded.
  • $200 less in insurance premium per month
  • $30K less than what I was expecting to pay for a new Premium GTR
  • 0.9% APR; I know I've been preaching to pay cash, but this was too good to say no
  • Driving school at Palms Springs
  • One hour familiarization training with M4 Tech guy (probably to go through all those electronic gadgets)
  • More front clearance!
  • Did I mention how smooth the ride is?

Nothing against the GT-R. It is a very capable ICBM of a sports car; very mod-friendly. But this opportunity was ready for the taking. GT-R market was (IS) too hot for me and felt I was going to get burned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after hesitating for a few hours and thinking that I wasn't going to get it, I decided to pull the trigger. So now I'm a proud owner of one of the few M4 xDrive Comp. in the Springs. Got it right off the delivery truck with 22mi. Mexico Blue and silver/black interior. More electronic gadgets than I care for except for the LCD display. Brake in period is 1300mi. and tuned down during that period.

First impressions compared to the GTR:
  • Smother handling
  • Smother ride
  • Slightly more responsive acceleration (almost no lag)
  • The front feels lighter when changing direction in semi-aggressive driving
  • Functional back seats; my wife is 5'3" and had about 4" between her and my seat.
  • Carbon fiber roof, laser headlights, HUD, hand-gesture, tire pressure/temperature, lap timer, 360/cameras, almost fully loaded.
  • $200 less in insurance premium per month
  • $30K less than what I was expecting to pay for a new Premium GTR
  • 0.9% APR; I know I've been preaching to pay cash, but this was too good to say no
  • Driving school at Palms Springs
  • One hour familiarization training with M4 Tech guy (probably to go through all those electronic gadgets)
  • More front clearance!
  • Did I mention how smooth the ride is?

Nothing against the GT-R. It is a very capable ICBM of a sports car; very mod-friendly. But this opportunity was ready for the taking. GT-R market was (IS) too hot for me and felt I was going to get burned.
Would love to see pics of the new purchase!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are really all over the place with the cars you are looking at. E63S / Gen 3 Viper/ GTR

Think you need to lock down what you want to do with the car. Doubt you'll be driving any of them in the snow and hail otherwise you wouldn't have a viper mixed in there.

Once you figure out what you want, the R35 has a few configs. They all have "transmission issues" but more for the lack of software and user interface than anything else. The transmission issues were more from the fact the 09's could launch all day long and not require any type of cool down and the early buyers did just that. You take any car and launch it 20,30,40 times in a row (other than a 911 TT) you'll be buying a transmission or clutch. p

CBAs are the most raw car on the street. Loud, bumpy and obnoxious (which I have no issue with)

DBAs started to move towards the GT mindset with a better ride with the 15's redesigning the suspension and ride quality to a softer easier on the back ride. 16's added noise cancellation and 17's added a rocking new interior.

Tuned or built they are all the same speed wise so no need to worry about that. Plppooolpppppppp
Again, I'd lock down if you want a plush cruiser E63 - personally I'd run with an M5 which runs circles around the E63 on the street and on the track. But if you buy the Benz you wouldn't even care as it's a much different ride and style anyways.

From your purchase price target of $80k in today's market, think you'll have a tough time even getting a 16

The Viper is cool, but I don't know a single guy that hasn't 360'd them on the street. Just look at them as a mustang and a hellcat rolled into one lmao. I personally wouldn't want a Gen 3. Plenty of issues including oiling and parts are getting hard to find, hate to say it but GTR will probably be cheaper to maintain.

The R35 does everything well and if you are going to build it eventually, you can drive them with 1500hp as easy as you can 500hp.

Good luck and take an honest lol at
The particular DBA im looking at is a 2014 with 42k miles with some basic bolt ons and tuned by English Racing. What worries me is the car being modified and the higher mileage compared to some more expensive examples.

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
@gixy2k great pick up - get ahold of [email protected] Motorsports. Tune only you'll be in the mid 10's and being a piggyback, ecu doesn't see it.

OP: miles aren't too bad for a 14. As long as it has service records and passes an inspection have at it ;)

Reactions: gixy2k

·
Registered
340 Posts
Jesus the lines and styling on that car is so sexy, congrats on the purchase!!!
Thanks!

@gixy2k great pick up - get ahold of [email protected] Motorsports. Tune only you'll be in the mid 10's and being a piggyback, ecu doesn't see it.

OP: miles aren't too bad for a 14. As long as it has service records and passes an inspection have at it ;)
Will do, thanks for the lead.

I've been watching some YouTube videos with exciting initial numbers; some rumor that 503hp is a bit under-rated intentionally by the Germans.
2022 M4 xDrive 0-60 (Scottland?)
M4 RWD vs. Corvette C8 (wonder how the xdrive would fare)
M4 xDrive vs. Plaid (0-60 in low 3s)
M3 xDrive 0-60 in 2.8...1/4mi. 10.28 (either a joke or a modified engine)

Don't mean to hijack this thread, so I'll quit now. If I do find something worth reporting, I'll post it under the correct thread.

P.s.
Something I forgot to mention is that this car comes with 8 gears, which could account for the engine being kept in the hp/tq sweet spot for acceleration and thus yielding better than advertised numbers (that and the fact that I think Germans are low balling the hp)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a 16' with 19k miles for 82k about a month ago. Prices are still ridiculous, but if you really want one it'll be worth it. Imo get a dba bc you don't want tranny issues down the line, is my main concern anyways

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a 16' with 19k miles for 82k about a month ago. Prices are still ridiculous, but if you really want one it'll be worth it. Imo get a dba bc you don't want tranny issues down the line, is my main concern anyways
Now thats a price im willing to fork down for a '16, theres just not a deal to be seen for one with low miles like that in that price range, the ones im looking at are all from 40k to 60k miles for the same price. If one happens to come up like that especially in white, definitely jumping on it harder than a fat kid on an overturned hostess truck.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Interesting choice on the M4.

Used GTRs are even more overvalued than the new ones. Too many of them on the road and technology changing too fast for it to be sustainable IMO. That said I love the platform enough to watch a new one depreciate on my watch.
I’ve never looked at the M4 much. I think an E 63AMG will eat your lunch all day , and vs BMW frankly but again, $$$ and apples to oranges, as the original list of cars including viper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts