Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I like turtles!
180 Posts
Sorry in advance for the novel; really excited about the car and after I started writing, I got a little long-winded.

Hi all, I started posting a couple weeks ago when I decided to purchase a GT-R and began doing the research. A good friend has a '12 in super silver, let me drive his a little bit and I was hooked. The weeks that followed my decision dealing with Nissan dealers all up and down the east coast were nothing short of a nightmare which I'll start another thread on sometime soon, but thankfully I ended up finding a car at Team Nissan of Marietta in north Georgia; it was just dumb luck that I happened to call them about an hour after the car arrived and it had not been taken yet. I put a deposit on it before I let the guy get off the phone after agreeing to MSRP and the typical dealer service fee of a few hundred $$.

So anyway; it's hard to pick a car color when you've never seen any in real life other than super silver and white, neither of which I wanted, but with the 2012's becoming more and more difficult to find and the dealers that have them becoming more and more likely to treat you like sh*t, I didn't have much choice and pulled the trigger on the one I found in jet black. The nine days from the time I purchased it to when I was flying up to get the car, I was trying to prepare myself mentally to be unimpressed with the color because to me, 'jet black' sounds like it's going to be plain ol' black like my Mercedes. I was very pleasantly surprised when I finally got to see the car and learned that jet black is not as boring as it sounds; the paint has what I'd describe as some type of reflective sparkle material in it for lack of a better word; kind of like what maybe a different manufacturer would call pearl black or something catchy like that. It doesn't come across in pictures very well either unfortunately, but in real life, I think it's really a fantastic color.

I had a pretty pleasant buying experience at the dealer I went with, Team Nissan of Marietta Georgia; they picked me up at the airport and brought my wife and I to the dealership, we were greeted by the internet sales manager I had been working with, Dave Weatherford, the sales person Wayne who would be handling the delivery and the general manager. The car was on the show room floor with a sign in the window that it had been sold and had my name on it. They brought us to the office, offered refreshments and had all the paperwork ready along with the manuals, keys, etc. I had wired the money so the paperwork was just some signing, the typical extended warranty and maintenance package offers by the finance person and then I was ready to go. Dave was very easy to communicate with for the week leading up to my arrival; he answered questions, and after I had paid, they had no problem letting me send a vendor on site to do a clear bra on the car. I have no complaints at all about the whole experience with them, but nearly every other dealer I dealt with in Florida and north of here sucked.

The sales person had their GT-R tech come out and they both went over all the basics of the car, the tech seemed knowledgeable about the car and gave me some tips on various things, I had a few questions, and we were ready to test drive. Everything was great, came back to the dealer, Wayne helped me do the bluetooth stuff to hook my phone in and it was time to head towards Florida.

The 500 mile drive home had its ups and downs; I didn't get on it too much as I had read the break-in procedures before leaving, so the first few hundred miles were just highway and I drove without cruise control and varied speeds keeping it at or below 3500 rpm. Stopped for lunch and realized the driver's side of the hood was not all the way down. I started a thread on that but before getting any replies I managed to get it to latch by using more force than I wanted to; now I know it's best to just drop the hood from about a foot and it will latch fine without the risk of damage. Got back on the road and hit a rest stop a couple hours later. People were gathered around the car when we came back out; a few asked questions, one told me to not let my girlfriend know how much the car cost or she'd want a ring; I said too late, already married LOL. More highway but it was five straight hours of pouring rain; it sucked, no fault of the car's of course. Get home exhausted and then 'sunny' Florida dumps another 18 hours of rain on the car so I didn't get to drive it the rest of the weekend.

Monday comes around, no real time to drive it thanks to work but I did get it tinted; looks so much better. Tuesday, let the heat of the Florida sun help me easily debadge it without the need for a hair dryer.
I will say that I went with the credit card technique instead of the fishing line/dental floss technique; the sun heated it up pretty well and rather than trying to saw all the way through the sticky stuff from one side to the other, I was able to apply light pressure around the sides until the badge peeled right off. A little goo gone, micro fiber towel and a nice clean-up wash and now there's no trace of the hamburger.

I've had a chance to drive it maybe another hundred miles the past two nights and I just really love the car. I'm fortunate to own, or have owned, some not so common vehicles and a race car I race at club level events and the GT-R is just so different from all of them. For example, I have a 2003 Murcielago 6-speed. It is huge, has a big loud high-revving V12, tall gated shifter, mediocre brakes and mediocre handling. That car gets more attention than you could imagine, you feel kind of like a movie star driving it, but it's not something you drive when you're not in the mood for people, or you just want to get somewhere, or you want just an effortless cruise; it requires some concentration and while it's rewarding, it's kind of like the specialty tool you only use for certain jobs.

I also have a 2006 Gallardo Spyder e-gear which was my first exotic that I purchased five years ago. It handles much better than the Murcielago and I have an exhaust on it so with the top down, it is incredibly fun and sounds perfect when you wind it out. However, being a convertible, any time you push it, or even just going over a speed bump at an angle where some twisting force is applied to the car, you get lots of squeaks and rattles and you can feel the lack of stiffness. It of course, just like the Murci, also can bring you unwanted attention from homeless people at stop lights who love exotic cars and no window to separate you from them, to crazy people at the gas station who want to give you a card or resume thinking exotic car means you have a job for them. So those two cars see a lot of idle time since you just can't enjoy them when the mood strikes unless you know you're going somewhere that it's safe or appropriate to drive them.

That brings us to the race car, it's a real race car, an Elan DP02 for those that are familiar with it; single seat carbon tub, open top, sequential dog engagement gear box, high downforce. It's everything a race car should be. The only reason I mention is it because of how it relates to the GT-R.

With just a few days ownership behind me, I feel like the GT-R is the most usable combination of the best characteristics of all of those cars. It is effortless to drive and not intimidating at all. You get in and go and you feel like you're fine going on a pizza run or you could take it for a few laps around Sebring. It's reserved; it isn't bright orange, it doesn't have bat wings that pop up in the back and it doesn't wake the entire neighborhood up when you start it up at 6am. It attracts, so far, people that I have enjoyed talking to; car enthusiasts. Every time I've stopped in it, the people that have approached me when I've been at gas stations, rest stops, etc. want to have conversations about its handling, or have I used launch mode or how quick does it shift; the kind of questions you want to talk to people about. I have yet to have someone start a conversation with how much do you make or what did that cost, which are the two most common things I get when driving the Lambos. The handling is great; it obviously destroys what either of the Lambo's can do, as it should being anywhere from six to nine years newer than them, but it does so in such a confidence inspiring manner; it's quiet, no rattles or squeaks, just solid hug the road performance that never leaves you with a worry about anything and you immediately realize that's exactly what it was built to do. Finally, I love all of the characteristics that remind me of my race car; solid pedal feel, great suspension setup, coming to a stop and hearing the gear box going through its motions, gauges for brake pressure, steering angle, cornering loads, etc. Racing is my passion and the car lets me have a little bit of that feeling just driving around town.

I'll not likely ever get rid of my Lambo's, they each have their own special characteristics the GT-R will never be a substitute for, but what an awesome experience it offers. My wife describes it as "I feel like I'm riding in the Gallardo, but wearing ear plugs, and it's faster but not scary."

Here's some pics from pick-up day:

And from a few days later after tint and debadging:

The 'other' cars:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Cool story. Sounds like you love it so far. Also welcome from a fellow Tampa resident!

Its good you get positive comments/questions. All I seem to get is stupid questions around here haha.

·
I like turtles!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I seem to get is stupid questions around here haha.
lol, I guess it's still early. I am going to the USF car meets thing Friday night; it's on main campus south of the library.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Excellent write up! After reading I'm even more excited to get my own GT-R.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Great write-up, are you considering the new Lambo flagship?

·
I like turtles!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great write-up, are you considering the new Lambo flagship?
Not yet; the Aventador hasn't depreciated enough yet to make me pull the trigger. They're over priced for what you get right now but maybe in a few years when their price drops like a rock, which every Lambo ultimately does lol; I know, I made the mistake of buying the spyder new.

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
Great write up, I enjoyed reading your post. Enjoy the GTR.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Pdisme
Would you say your 2003 lamb murcie hard on the pocket?
I like to buy one but I heard it's better to buy newer version murcie 07 and up
Thanks in advance

·
I like turtles!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pdisme
Would you say your 2003 lamb murcie hard on the pocket?
I like to buy one but I heard it's better to buy newer version murcie 07 and up
Thanks in advance
Both cars have been incredibly easy on the pocket to maintain. I've had the Gallardo for five years and have spent what probably amounts to about $3000 over the course of putting 14,000 miles on it. I just do an annual oil change since I only drive it about 3000 miles or less per year. I've had the Murci for two years and have put about 4000 miles on it. It's had two oil changes and no other issues. Both cars do consume about a quart of oil every 750 to 1000 miles so I do keep some on hand to top them off but other than that, they've been great.

I would not get a pre-2005 Murci if you're looking for an e-gear; the earlier e-gear cars had some issues. 6-speeds are rock solid; that's what mine is. I would also not get a pre-2006 Gallardo; less power and some initial problems. My 06 is e-gear and has had no issues at all.

Both cars' real weakness is the clutch; it could last 15k miles, it could last 30k miles, no way to know. I've been told my Gallardo has a few thousand miles to go since the dealer can tell clutch wear on the e-gear cars without opening them up. The 6-speed you won't know until you know. Clutch replacement can be in the $7k to $10k range. So, if you're looking for a used one, get the maintenance records and then call the dealer who serviced it to confirm; if the clutch has been replaced within a few thousand miles, should be good to go, if it's got a lot of miles and no clutch replacement, you could be gambling on how soon you might need one, but at least on the e-gear cars you can have a dealer inspect and tell you what it's got left.

The LP640 is definitely more refined than the original Murci but not enough to overlook a good deal, especially if you're getting a 6-speed car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.