Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I just recently sold my twin turbo CTSV and am finally ready to get into a GTR. I have done extensive research and have learned quite a bit about GTRs. I really just wanted to get a bit more input from you all before potentially pulling the trigger on one, since, do not really have any first hand experience with the platform quite yet. I have determined that I want one that is already modded (the more, the better especially trans work), low mileage (less than 30K), spend no more than 73K (less would be better obviously) and preferably be white but am open on exterior color depending on the car.

Anyway, I think I have narrowed my search down to this one below and was wondering what you all thought about it, mods and price wise (negotiated it down to my price range thus far). My main concern is that it's a 2010 and would therefore be a CBA. This will be my first GTR so my questions now are; #1.Would I be better off waiting and finding the right modded DBA or is this one too good of a deal to pass up? #2. I know DBAs are said to have better ride comfort, however, with the same mods, would it perform and drive the same way as this CBA overall? #3. Are there anything that I should be worried about with the mods on this particular car? This will serve as a daily for a while, at least until I'm able to buy another vehicle to serve that purpose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/...em=201487809187

This one is a top candidate but am willing to wait on the right one if need be and so am also open to other purchase options as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd ideally want a 2012+ the only thing that even makes me consider this one are the mods, mileage, and color. I have never owned one and so don't want to buy this one and then somehow end up riding in DBA and find myself disappointed with my decision lol. That is the main reason I'm so hesitant and wanted to ask the community first.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I understand the whole DBA argument but in this case, it seems that all the proper builds were performed in order to upgrade this car to specs(Engine and tranny). Along with the fact that miles are so low, I would certainly pull the trigger if everything checks out.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The link wouldn't work for me, but you can get into a low mileage, modded CBA for around $60k. Like the one I have for sale. Or you can pay ~$8-$10k more for a modded DBA. If you have the funds, DBA is the way to go just because it's newer, has the newer front bumper, bigger brakes, etc etc. But there are some great deals on some clean cba's as well. And to me, the biggest noticeable difference between the two is the front bumper. I own both (CBA and DBA). As a street car, you won't notice the braking difference, barely notice the "more comfortable" DBA suspension, and will definitely not notice the power difference if they are both modded equally (They'll make the same power).

With that said, you have $73k to spend and like everyone else said, I would buy an FBO 2012+

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are dbas going for mid to high 60s. It really depends if you are looking for a local buy or if you are willing to travel. I flew down to north Carolina and drove back to Wisconsin with my dba.

·
GTRLIFE BOTM August 2015
1,042 Posts
First, find a dba. Second I see you want a modified trans and you found a 950who car on eBay. (Which is oddly cheap if you ask me even for a cba). Since you want a modified trans that means you want something with at least aftermarket turbos on stock manifolds that would at least require clutches.

The color of the car doesn't matter...you can wrap it for cheap if you don't like the color. But I get why you want white. I would just open your search parameters a bit to give you more choices. You should be looking for a dba, built by a reputable builder and tuner (because at that level if you don't, you better know a good builder tuner who is willing to take one what could be a mess). Maybe that one is all sorted with no issues...even still you are going to need a good mechanic and tuner as you don't drive your 1kwhp car to Nissan to troubleshoot your idc's.

I get why you want what you want...it's a hard choice though especially at that price level. I think you would be better off, and have a ton more fun, to buy a fbo dba that is really well sorted out. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I've owned both a CBA ('09) and a DBA ('14) GT-R, as well as two CTS-V's ('09 sedan and '11 wagon). They are all awesome cars. I would definitely recommend a DBA, as Nissan has made good, incremental changes to the GT-R each model year. Also, having owned two GT-R's and two CTS-V's, when you do get in that GT-R, there's really no comparison. I love the CTS-V (obviously, having owned two), but as awesome a performance vehicle the V is, the GT-R is simply at another level. If you DON'T want attention, don't get a GT-R. I also like how someone on this board put it, "When I'm in my GT-R, I feel like I own the road in front of me". Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your input, it's definitely good to get insight from actual owners. After taking everything you all have said into account and thinking it over, I have decided to pass on the one above. I will just have to be a bit more patient and wait on the right modified DBA to pop up for sale within my price range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. i'm looking to purchase a GTR soon. I want to make sure the transmission is a 12+ just for peace of mind. CBA can be had for cheap now a days, but used DBA are following suit as well. I want to say in 6 months is when i'm hoping to purchase a DBA around 55-60k mark with about 40-50k miles. Good luck!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Make sure you find one with full service records....preferably from an original owner. Having owned 09, 12 and 14' GTR's.....go 12+ of at all possible. Watch dealer cars as they have usually no history with them at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, everybody I really didn't want to start a new thread so figured would just post it here. So am still in the market for the right GTR for me. I am seeing so many different ones out there CBA and DBA all within the same price range. This makes me feel even more confident in this purchase since they appear to hold up quite well compared to any GM vehcile I've owned lol. I'm looking to stay within 73K max but I'm starting to see 2014-2015s in that price range now. The problem is that I'm looking for a modified GTR the more the better (upgraded Trans and Turbos would be ideal). The dilemma is like the one I posted before, I'm seeing a few fully built CBAs (trans, motor and all) and full bolt on DBAs in the same price range.

The question basically now is which one would you pick if they were the same price? A 800-900 awhp CBA or a 600 awhp DBA? Are the enhancements of the DBA really enough to make up for the power of the CBA? As i mentioned before, it would serve as a daily driver for awhile. I came from a 900rwhp CTSV so am all about that power but am just unsure if a CBA really rides as rough as people say they do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.