Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Bill.

I'm up in the Northern Nevada area (Lake Tahoe) and am a newbie to GTR's. I don't actually have a GTR yet but hope to get one soon.

I've been into drag racing for many years and have had a 6 second blown altered, turbo busa, etc. Way back in the days, I was a design engineer for Mallory and worked with the top fuel teams designing magnetos and other things.

I look forward to learning about all of the amazing technology that is out there today and of course getting a GTR :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good question. I haven't made a firm decision yet but based on everything I've read, I'm leaning on the later (albeit more expensive) DBA. I would like to get into something that has been upgraded into the 1400 - 1800 whp level.
Looks like you already have an 09. How do you like it?

·
Registered
2009 Nissan GT-R
35 Posts
Man! Coming from an Evo around 500whp, its night and day even for the older GTR. I plan on FBO/E85 and maybe Elite Gateway/Green turbos down the line. Yea the car price's are insane now, and if I pulled the trigger last year around COVID kickoff I could've gotten into a much newer GTR for cheaper.

I will defer to the experts about high hp GTRs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, I agree. There is a steep learning curve on the high HP cars. I'm an old school drag racer, and there's some pretty cool tech going on these days in drag racing but nothing like the computer controlled monsters that roam our streets today.

I agree that prices of cars (and many other things) is completely insane. Investing in land, gold, silver, etc. may be a wiser choice at this point, lol

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Hi Guys,

I just purchased a 2009 with 13k miles and really bad paint condition (has been sitting for years outside) and I paid $70k, Also wish I purchased 2 years ago but who knew we would have insane inflation.

Its completely stock now, I am in SoCal so going to be careful with the mods since emissions is such as hassle this days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that inflation is a tough pill to swallow right now.

Congrats on the new purchase. Enjoy it and remember to keep her under a hundred (or at least try to), lol.

I'm lucky living in the county I do here in Northern Nevada as we don't have any emissions requirement.

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like you have been around the block. Should get up to speed fairly quickly with the GTR, definitely not rocket science.

1500 awhp is a sweet spot on these cars. Stay at 1300 (or less) if you want to maintain 20” rims on a sticky R888 type tire if you don’t move to Motec.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice on the sweet spot DropTopp. I'll keep that in mind. From the little I've gathered reading the forum so far, just like drag racing, it seems like the cost of a build is on a logarithmic curve (upward) the faster you want to go. I'm definitely not looking to be in the "Top Fuel" level of GTR's, more the "Top Sportsman" equivalent, so the advice on the sweet spot will come in handy~!

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
That’s the beauty of this platform, they can have less hp than the guy your lined up against and still take the W. They shine on the street and ease of use. As long as your ETS isn’t blown, these things are as easy and safe as they get.

Can pull a good deal of weight out of these cars fairly easy as well and that puts less overall stress on the system and equates to quicker times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts