Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts

The STILLEN R&D team continues to develop industry-leading performance products with long-standing technical partner AP Racing. Their hard work has resulted in the release of the next generation in Carbon-Ceramic Matrix (CCM-X) brakes for the Nissan GTR. This kit utilizes a new High Thermal Capacity (HTC) process which helps pull the heat from the CCM disc surface deeper into the 3D core to allow the discs to operate cooler through more efficient use of internal venting and air flow.

We have also homologated a new Pagid RSX1 pad material designed specifically for our new CCM-X discs for easier bedding and higher performance, these pads are ideal for use on the street and for track days.

The CCM-X disc assembly hardware has now been updated to include anti-rattle springs that still allow the full benefit of a floating disc, yet eliminates the "noise" associated with this style of disc.

During extreme performance testing at Auto Club Raceway in Fontana, CA, performing back-to-back repetitive testing runs pushing the limits of brake temperatures, the new combination of HTC CCM-X discs and Pagid RSX1 pad material reduced disc temperatures from an average of 1488F to 1346F, that's 142 degrees cooler than the previous generation CCM. These real-world tests confirmed the results of our brake dyno testing at AP Racings lab in Coventry, England.

Once found only on the world's most expensive supercars, Carbon-Ceramic Matrix (CCM) brakes have been developed for the first specifically-tuned aftermarket application - the Nissan R35 GT-R. These 400mm disc assemblies are larger than the standard OE iron discs, yet reduce weight by nearly half. This is rotating and unsprung weight, leading to improvements in all performance categories: acceleration, handling and braking.

After three decades of using carbon-carbon brakes on racing vehicles (even longer on fighter jets), AP Racing CCM discs are the next technological platform. Advancements in materials, process technologies and nanoparticle technology make it possible to use a special carbon fiber precursor along with new, patented process techniques. The unidirectional precursor is needled into a 3-Dimensional, continuous carbon fiber preform. This differs from lower cost technologies that use loose, chopped strand fibers and thin woven face plies bonded on as a friction surface. A true 3D matrix is stronger, more robust and provides longer life than the more brittle alternative. As a comparison, think quality hardwood versus particle board or MDF with a veneer.

Converting the 3D preform to carbon-carbon is done under high heat and pressure via methane cracking during a special carbon vapor infiltration (CVI) process. After initial machine work, a final conversion process results in a full matrix carbon-silicon carbide (CSiC). We call it Carbon-Ceramic Matrix, or CCM for short. The discs are then sent through the final machining, grinding, and balancing. Of course, the CCM discs are now so hard that only special diamond tooling can be used!

Who uses these ultimate CCM discs? The most up-to-date version is found on the Koenigsegg CCX and McLaren MP4-12C. And now - STILLEN and AP Racing have optimized a specific set for your R35

Key benefits:

Discs run cooler vs. our original CCM under the same brake load

Pad material specifically designed for our 3D CCM

Easier to bed (like cast iron)

Quicker recovery from high temperature use

Anti rattle springs now part of the disc assembly hardware

Price -

APCC1000A for 2009-2011 US Market cars
APCC1100A for 2012-2013 US Market cars.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I'll trade you my 2007 G35 for a set....

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Sean,

Looks like a fantastic product, but out of my price range! When I can buy any of of a dozen brand new cars for the price of a pair of discs, my better half will have none of it.

I was just at the Toronto auto show, and had a look at the Z07/Z06 and the ZR1 with their lightweight disks. Could we not get a solution using their technology and the very much lower price point those disks cost. Might not be as good, but still better than cast iron. Then I could buy.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
I was just at the Toronto auto show, and had a look at the Z07/Z06 and the ZR1 with their lightweight disks. Could we not get a solution using their technology and the very much lower price point those disks cost. Might not be as good, but still better than cast iron. Then I could buy.
When these CCM-X disks show up, we are working on a test showing some of the differences in the AP CCM disk, and the Porsche/ZR1/Brembo CCM disk. They are supposed to send one extra for some "destructive" testing. One of the tests might involve bouncing a disk off the floor.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
What is the cost to manufacture one of the front discs (not counting development costs) ?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
When these CCM-X disks show up, we are working on a test showing some of the differences in the AP CCM disk, and the Porsche/ZR1/Brembo CCM disk. They are supposed to send one extra for some "destructive" testing. One of the tests might involve bouncing a disk off the floor.
I believe that the ZR1 comes with a special protective cover for the top of the rotor to protect it even when changing the wheel. Sounds quite 'brittle' in that respect. I've also read of instances where a rock between the pad and rotor has damaged the Brembo rotor, and certainly getting the pads down to the backing plate can cause tremendous damage resulting in having to replace a $1500 rotor. From Shawn's nightmare pictures of his AP CCMs no matter what he does, he can't seem to bugger them up; (and not for lack of trying! lol).
Bish

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I believe that the ZR1 comes with a special protective cover for the top of the rotor to protect it even when changing the wheel. Sounds quite 'brittle' in that respect. I've also read of instances where a rock between the pad and rotor has damaged the Brembo rotor, and certainly getting the pads down to the backing plate can cause tremendous damage resulting in having to replace a $1500 rotor. From Shawn's nightmare pictures of his AP CCMs no matter what he does, he can't seem to bugger them up; (and not for lack of trying! lol).
Bish
Agree. Another hard track day at CMP, and another round of pads destroyed, but there is very little wear on the CCM's. I CAN say I think there is finally about 0.25mm removed from the front braking surface now. There is a TINY TINY little lip where the pad edge interface starts, but it is barely appreciable. I also use the CCM as a "pry surface" when I use a small crowbar to compress the pistons into the bore. No real damage.

OH, BTW, bish, I now am trying out a compound from Essex parts. Not the RC's just yet, but the AP racing endurance compound. My last set of Carbotech's finally bedded well at CMP, and now I have a pretty good rotor surface of pad compound to work with.

But, Sean, any chance at an "upgrade" for current CCM owners?

Shawn

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But, Sean, any chance at an "upgrade" for current CCM owners?
Its one of the first things I asked. I wanted to know if this was a "treatment" or if it is in the way the disks are built. It is in the way they are built, so any "upgrade" would involve replacing all the disks, where most of the total cost of the kit is located.

Did you notice that they now include anti-rattle clips?

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Its one of the first things I asked. I wanted to know if this was a "treatment" or if it is in the way the disks are built. It is in the way they are built, so any "upgrade" would involve replacing all the disks, where most of the total cost of the kit is located.
I know. I was just hoping for a trade in for reduced cost. Oh well. I'm not surprised, or necessarily disappointed.

Did you notice that they now include anti-rattle clips?
Why wouldn't they? Drive the originals and sound like "The Beverly Hillbillies" clattering down the road in your $85,000 + $16,000 brake car, with passengers asking you what's broken, and that becomes relatively straightforward.

Shawn

·
Registered
513 Posts
Oh great... as if though buying a 2009 GT-R and watching the upgrades for successive model years wasn't bad enough... now I feel the same way about my CCM brakes!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Has this new pad been tested on the regular CCM rotors? Is there easier bedding of the new pad to the regular CCMs?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Figure 10 years to make the CCM's equivalent. Based on 1 year out for me so far, they WILL make it.
Shawn
I wish I had CCM's. But my AP iron rotors lasted 18 months and 19 track days. I would have to do around 200 track days to match the cost of the CCM's.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I wish I had CCM's. But my AP iron rotors lasted 18 months and 19 track days. I would have to do around 200 track days to match the cost of the CCM's.
My AP fronts were giving out at 12 months (probably 20 track days). With the rears and the passive rear cooling kit, the math was looking a little better. The possibility of using super hard pads with preserved braking on the street with no real rotor wear also evened it out.

Depending on what you're seeing in padwear, the math might not be as good as mine.

Probably the presence of Carolina Motorsports Park on my schedule.

But, with yearly front rotor repalcement, and probably one or two rear rotor replacements over 10 years, plus chiropractor visits for my back, it worked out almost even over ten years for me, at current wear/crack rates.

Shawn

·
Troller
3,473 Posts
I have access to a composites testing facility with a 60 thousand pound universal testing machine if you need some testing done for free

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.