Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many thanks to Trackdays.de for organising a great event on Tuesday.
It was very nearly the last ever event for Godzilla 2 though. I managed to leave the track at 120mph!

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Close call, but pretty sure you didn't exit the track at 120mph...

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Close call, but pretty sure you didn't exit the track at 120mph...
The MFD peaks at 120 when it all goes wrong. I think it's about 97 when I actually completely leave the track, then amazingly drops to 47 or something when I regain the asphalt.
Thankfully it was an uphill bend!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
sorry but you were not going 120 mph when you left the track...it was only double digits and it's in kph, not mph......regardless, glad you came away unscathed and I agree with descartes, you shouldn't be talking so much.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
All those saying there was no way he could have been going 120 -

It is very possible at that point. Last I took my previous Z06 around, I'd be doing about 50 mph in the Carousel. Going WOT afterwards, I'm easily in the 100's. Here, he's exiting the carousel and doing about 10 seconds of throttle. Based on the Car and Driver spec table, the GTR will do 0-120 mph in 10 seconds. Given that exiting the Carousel, he'll also be doing around 50 mph, he very likely is going 120 or close to it when it all goes awry.

I'm looking forward to getting my 2012 out there next spring...

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Ok so he exits the track a bit sideways at 120mph and manages to not hit the wall with at most 30 feet of runoff? Really?

It doesn't matter. Hairy moment and glad you got out of it, or glad the VDC got you out of it.

Oh btw whenever I have instructors/passengers in the car I tell them up front I don't like to talk while driving.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Oh btw whenever I have instructors/passengers in the car I tell them up front I don't like to talk while driving.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sorry but you were not going 120 mph when you left the track...it was only double digits and it's in kph, not mph......regardless, glad you came away unscathed and I agree with descartes, you shouldn't be talking so much.....
Watch it in HD. Of course it was in mph, I'm British, not European! 120mph when it went wrong, got it down to about 96 when I left the tarmac, scrubbed the speed off on the grass (not often you hear that!) as luckily it was uphill and rejoined at about 47mph.
Talking to passengers is par for the course as I often get asked to take people out at evo magazine track days etc, so I'm used to chatting to readers.
But the mistake was in keeping my eyes on the Porsche rather than my lift off and turn in point.

I've done the best part of 200 laps there (2800 miles), but the slightest momentary lapse of concentration will have you off, and I am far from an expert there.

Normally I blast past most of the GT3s/GT3 RSs there and didn't get overtaken once last year, but this year there were a load of REALLY good 911 drivers and I got passed by a few.
My 620hp GT-R is quicker in a straight line, but on some of the tricky switchbacks, with nearly 2000kgs (2 people + fuel), there is no way you're going to keep up with a Sport Cup shod GT3 RS driven by a really talented guy who knows the track backwards.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
You certainly weren't going 120 and probably not 96 either. The MFD speedo is a little delayed under braking, still you were probably going 75-80. I guess you don't have a career in driving ahead if a car 3-400 feet in front of you is distracting.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.