Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so we have the wet battery type (2013 GTR) that requires maintenance by adding distilled water.
The side of the battery has a clear mark demonstrating low and high level.
Is it just me, or is it very difficult to see the fluid level looking from the front?
Looking into the top of the battery with the plugs out, there is fluid over the core. Is this adequate??
Some simple questions are not so easy to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone check their battery fluid level?
Ever add distilled water?

·
Warrant Officer
700 Posts
I had to yank the battery out to check it, no way I could do it with it still in the car. I didn't have to add any but the car has low miles. If you do yank it, it's a great time to the "DRL with headlights on" mod!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yank it is not so simple.
From the responses, my bet is that few have yanked it until the battery died.
My battery has always been on a battery tender. Just thought fluid level check should be easier than it is.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I have added distilled water to my battery's cell compartments before. The owner's manual actually explains and has an illustration on how to check the levels while looking down into the cells after the caps have been screwed off. They were all a little low on water and added as needed. I didn't have to remove the battery; however, there was one cell I couldn't get to because it was too close to the positive terminal and I was unable to screw the cap off. The only way I would be able to do it is disconnect the positive terminal and didn't want to mess with it. At least I was able to add water to all of the other cells.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I have added distilled water to my battery's cell compartments before. The owner's manual actually explains and has an illustration on how to check the levels while looking down into the cells after the caps have been screwed off. They were all a little low on water and added as needed. I didn't have to remove the battery; however, there was one cell I couldn't get to because it was too close to the positive terminal and I was unable to screw the cap off. The only way I would be able to do it is disconnect the positive terminal and didn't want to mess with it. At least I was able to add water to all of the other cells.
So I read than manual. I can get the tops off all cells and I see fluid looking down, but it is not clear the fluid level from my view. Perhaps depth deficit on my part. Thanks for your infoMarine!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Yeah it is a little difficult since it's dark looking down into the cell. Even using a flashlight is hard to tell. The manual shows if the top of the water is touching the plastic piece inside the cell and has a rippling effect it's fine. It's only if the water level isn't high enough to touch the plastic inside and no ripple it needs water.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Semper fidelis = Semper Fi
I will check again. I saw water over the folded material, but need to look for a depth to plastic.
Appreciate you taking the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts