Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Nitto 555RII? Especially compared to the Toyo R888R? I searched the forum but didn’t find much info. Looking for more straight line traction but would like something that could be driven carefully in occasional rain. Current mods are just a midpipe and Cobb OTS tune but I’m looking to go FBO soon and would like to go with a stickier tire. Even my current setup causes a significant amount of launch wheelspin on 285/295 MPS4S. I’ve tried different launch RPM and 3700 helps but I can only imaging traction will suffer more with added power. The 555 sizes are limited, was thinking of going 295/35f and 305/35r.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Where do you live? I live in SoCal and had R888's on my car and drove the in the rain here. But if you are in an area of the country that gets major rain, it might be an issue. I never had an issue. Just need to drive carefully. Don't know anything about the Nitto's.

·
Registered
2015 White on Black Premium: 1436whp/1054wtq on E90, built by Cicio North
682 Posts
I don't know much about the Nitto's you mentioned but my car currently sits on R888r's on 20" wheels and they grip VERY well when warm. They do wear down fast and are loud at higher speeds but those are trade offs. I rattled off a 4.19 second 60-130 on them on a mid-boost map, no spin whatsoever, in 45 degree weather.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m in South Florida, the rain can be pretty bad here at times. I’ve talk to some of the local guys with GTRs and other performance cars, opinions are all over the place of how the R888Rs handle the rain. But I have not seen anyone run a back to back comparison with measured performance between those two tires. One YT vid showed about a half second difference in 60 to 130 with a Hellcat using the 555RII over the R888R but that’s about all I saw in terms of measured data.

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
I wouldn’t compare hellcats to R35’s with regards to traction. Apples to oranges.

The R888/R is still the beast on the street for street tires. Ran them for 4 seasons at 1000hp and never had an issue. Downpours with standing water on concrete or asphalt and zero issue going 70mph.

I wouldn’t worry about them and will give substantial improvement from where you are now.

Good luck and the trade off is they sound like an F18 is overhead.

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
The R888R for the GTR fitments have been trickling in recently. The problem is that there are a ton of them on backorder committed to POs already. The next batch is set to arrive at the end of January.

·
R35 Shop
201 Posts
So in our experience both are good tires and have different advantages over eachother

The NT555RII is going to be quieter on the road than a R888R and the newer generation does have a better contact patch as well as better than the previous NT555R ( We have still had plenty of success with the NT555R on 20's at over 1300whp on the street just FYI)

The R888R is an amazing all around tire that will not only kick ass in straight line traction and are also very formidable in the twistys too. They are going to be louder on road than the NT555RII and won't be as good in heavy rain though.

Knowing the power goal of the car and what you intend to use the car for will help determine your tire choice as well.

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So in our experience both are good tires and have different advantages over eachother

The NT555RII is going to be quieter on the road than a R888R and the newer generation does have a better contact patch as well as better than the previous NT555R ( We have still had plenty of success with the NT555R on 20's at over 1300whp on the street just FYI)

The R888R is an amazing all around tire that will not only kick ass in straight line traction and are also very formidable in the twistys too. They are going to be louder on road than the NT555RII and won't be as good in heavy rain though.

Knowing the power goal of the car and what you intend to use the car for will help determine your tire choice as well.

Thanks
Andrew
Thanks! So for FBO stock turbo power level, you would favor the R888R over the 555RII for most straight line traction potential on an unprepped street surface all else being equal?

·
Super Moderator
9,222 Posts

Thanks
Andrew
Thanks Andrew!!

·
R35 Shop
201 Posts
I really had not considered them, mostly because it seems like the faster GTRs on street tires are on the R888Rs and the 555RII have been used by some RWD platforms. I didn’t find much info on ppl using Cup 2 for their straight line traction.
Realistically at the FBO level they will perform the same, both will provide plenty of grip at that level. The Nitto is usually a little less expensive so I would probably go that route.

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Realistically at the FBO level they will perform the same, both will provide plenty of grip at that level. The Nitto is usually a little less expensive so I would probably go that route.

Thanks
Andrew
Andrew, what 555RII tire width in the 20 inch wheel have you seen used on the GTR? Their sizes are more limited than the R888R. Looks like 295/35f and 305/35r may work, I’m on stock suspension.

·
R35 Shop
201 Posts
Andrew, what 555RII tire width in the 20 inch wheel have you seen used on the GTR? Their sizes are more limited than the R888R. Looks like 295/35f and 305/35r may work, I’m on stock suspension.
To keep the FWD clutch happy I would run

275/40R20 106W XL - Front
315/35R20 106W - Rear

Both have a OD od 28.66

Thanks
Andrew

1 - 20 of 23 Posts