Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I swapped out my beloved Toyo R888 for a set of:
Nitto NT05R 315/35-20 Back and NT01 285/35-20 on the fronts. ($1600 and some change out the door from Discount tire installed and TPMS rebuilt)

I get a great deal more "whine" noise from like 20 to 50 mph then the toyo. Overall ride is better seems to ride softer. I will have this car at the dragstrip on Friday and Saturday both will report back with the 60' which will be the most important thing for me
I can live with some road noise if I get a good hooking tire. You can't have it all!

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
You went from having the overall diameter of the front tires being .10 inches bigger than the rears....to having the rears .87 inches bigger than the fronts. That's a .97 inch swing. And Nissan recommends staying within a certain difference in overall tire diameter difference. This helps avoid ATTESA AWD system malfunction.

See this thread for more info, specifically post #29 on page 2
http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/40835-tire-diameter-difference/page__st__20

This guy is having problems with his car due to a .94 difference. You may have the same problem with your car, so please be careful. You don't want to damage anything.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
275-40-20 would be better in the Nitto NT05 tire for the fronts. Also, it will give you similar tread to the NT05R in the back....This way you have an overall tire diameter of 28.62 in the front and 28.74 in the rear with the 315-35-20 NT05R's......Only a .12 difference. Definitely safe and will work with no issues. I hate to tell you this once you already got your new set up, but it's worth switching the front tires.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Acutally does anyone know of a Nitto or Toyo that will match sizes with the 27.87 NT01 285/35-20?
I will just leave those front 2 in my warehouse and when I burn up the new set just get a different size rear. Wifes idea
I am fuming lol. Hope I can get the right size in by Friday got a track day on Friday and Saturday...damn

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
Not the end of the world. Also, the NT05R's have very very little life...I was going to just get the NT01's front and rear...originally in the 285-35-20 and 315-30-20, but the 315's are on backorder. So I was going to do stock sizes in the NT05...255-40-20 and 285-35-20....those would fit perfect and grip like a mofo. I wound up just ordering the r888's lol. They are way more accessible than the NT01's...in case something went wrong with a tire and I needed a replacement I wouldn't want to wait forever for a replacement. I do have a feeling the nt01's are better than the r888 though. Even though toyo and nitto are the same company and the nt01 and r888 are made of the same compound. The nt01's just felt stickier to me.

Best of luck.

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
Acutally does anyone know of a Nitto or Toyo that will match sizes with the 27.87 NT01 285/35-20?
I will just leave those front 2 in my warehouse and when I burn up the new set just get a different size rear. Wifes idea
I am fuming lol. Hope I can get the right size in by Friday got a track day on Friday and Saturday...damn
The NT01's you have (285-35-20) can go on the rears with 255-40-20 NT01's up front. Do you have stock wheels? Or you can keep the 285-35-20's up front and put the NT01 315-30-20 on the rears.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My guy at discount tire hooked me up and will have the NT05 275/40-20 here tomorrow. Once i get these NT01 285/35-20 off i will put them for sale. Am going to offer them only for sale local pick up only at first so i dont have to mess with shipping. The price will be right for local pickup lol. Thanks again dLad for all the helpfull info!!

·
Fastest GTR in the world
535 Posts
I got extra 285/35/20 r888 I just took off the front for the same reason lol, which I replaced with 275 nittos. Soooo much better.

Tell Kenny you have those extra tires, I bet someone will want to run a square setup with them.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Track day? 1/4 mile or "track" track? If the latter I highly advise against running non matching tires.

Edit: nevermind, just saw the "r" on the nt05r portion of your post lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GT-R Life mobile app

·
R.I.P. Paul Walker
7,534 Posts
My guy at discount tire hooked me up and will have the NT05 275/40-20 here tomorrow. Once i get these NT01 285/35-20 off i will put them for sale. Am going to offer them only for sale local pick up only at first so i dont have to mess with shipping. The price will be right for local pickup lol. Thanks again dLad for all the helpfull info!!
No prob, glad your guy at discount tire is hooking u up. Hope u get some good times at the strip.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And the track numbers are in!! I got
NT05R 315/35-20 rear
NT05 275/40-20 front

Shitty track prep and that's being nice. I cut a 1.63 - 1.65 7 times in a row. It got worse as the night carried on but again they never vht the track again. I am extremely happy with these tires. Very and I mean very little spin off the line. They hook and go. It was such a hard hook one time I got my helmet slammed into the head rest. Also set a new top speed of 135.2
woop

Overall ride is smoother I still got the light whine at lower speeds but with 1.6x on bad track prep I can live with it lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.