Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
I'm sry to hear that it didn't work out well, John. I hope that Sean from Stillen will read this and help you out to sort out this if there is any issues with the stillen active brake cooling kit. Oh well, maybe it was designed to be used on CCM rotors only?

I guess couple of spatulas would've worked better or equal to $$$ u spent on that cooling kit. j/k

Thx for testing.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
i would like to see some more reviews. stillen suggest this is benificial with there CCM kit, they shared some data but never pictures of temp paint etc. thank you very much for this review! I thought it would be way more benifitial to use this kit than the willall kit. maybe someone will make a brake cooling plate for getting air to the center of the rotor, then these may be a tad better.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Terrific write up and photos Icarus! Although, I wish you saw better results.

spatulas FTW!

(just kidding. I don't think I'd ever tape a spatula to my GTR unless I was headed to a cooking contest and didn't have any more room inside the car).

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Thanks for the objective review, with data.

·
Vendor
3,602 Posts
Thanks for making the investment in $$ and time to try the active cooling. Sorry it didn't improve your rotor temps. As you mentioned hopefully Sean or Chris will see this thread and chime in with suggestions to improve the performance of this package. Looking forward to hearing what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Looking forward to comments from:
[email protected]
Descartesfool
[email protected]

haha - yes the stage is set - cue the actors

On a serious note I would like to thank icarus a LOT for posting up this data - very well done and thorough! I seriously expected to see some improvement with it thinking if the willall water cooling wasn't enough or someone wanted more cooling they could double up on the Stillen and Willall kit.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Thanks for the review. It's sad that it didn't work well. Is there any different setting can be made on the cooling kit?
Other than temp was the same, did you experience any difference under hard braking?

18,290 Posts
Icarus,

Great job. Well thought out testing methodolody and concise write up. Results are disappointing and surprising as Stillen is usually good at track testing their products. Will have to see what Sean says but it is hard to dispute your test.

·
GTR Nerd
5,335 Posts
Cooling, and cooling the brakes has been one of the things I have been harping on since before the GT-R was released. For a lot of guys, brake cooling is not an issue. I know however, that running a 4000 lb car, even with 380 mm rotors, you are putting a ton of heat energy into the brakes.

I have talked to a lot of guys about the challenges of getting good air to the center of the rotors on the GT-R. The factory lip, the wide tires, the front axle, and the rear mounted caliper all provide extra challenges.

The brake cooling fans are widely used in situations where it is difficult to get air from the front of the car, or for additional cooling for some cars with non ideal brake situations(too little brake, too much power). The suggestion came from AP Racing, when we were testing and developing the CCM brakes for the Nissan GT-R. The CCM's are lighter, and there get hotter than the iron rotors.

I have been talking to Chris, and our R & D department about your results, and I will get back to you

·
Fast GT-R
3,129 Posts
G

·
Father... my brakes feel hot, oh so hot... can your legendary engineering skills not help me? Why would you give me such wings and then not allow me to fly as high as the heavens?
Ah, icarus my son, you were warned. Though the wings are indeed beautiful and fast in flight, I can help you no more. It is for you to determine through trial and error...the answer may be found with Boreas. Failing that, only Mizuno-san knows. Good luck, my son....I am subscribed.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
spatulas FTW!

(just kidding. I don't think I'd ever tape a spatula to my GTR unless I was headed to a cooking contest and didn't have any more room inside the car).

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?s=...st&p=483281

Promise you it's worth the investment. The "equalling" of the brake pad wear on the inner pad ALONE is worth the embarassment of admitting that "yes, those are cooking spatulas".

If anybody else has noticed how much quicker the inner pad wears than the outer pad, you can chime in. I wouldn't remove them if you paid me. I don't have any objective temp data to produce, but the old mark I eyeball data from Carolina Motorsports Park was enough. I wore the inner pad from the right front DOWN TO THE BACKING PAD with the outer pad having at least 4mm of pad left. In my "post spatula" days, nada, never. Dust seals are already charcoal, so it was too late with the spatulas for them.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

Promise you it's worth the investment. The "equalling" of the brake pad wear on the inner pad ALONE is worth the embarassment of admitting that "yes, those are cooking spatulas".

If anybody else has noticed how much quicker the inner pad wears than the outer pad, you can chime in. I wouldn't remove them if you paid me. I don't have any objective temp data to produce, but the old mark I eyeball data from Carolina Motorsports Park was enough. I wore the inner pad from the right front DOWN TO THE BACKING PAD with the outer pad having at least 4mm of pad left. In my "post spatula" days, nada, never. Dust seals are already charcoal, so it was too late with the spatulas for them.

Shawn
I use the spatulas as well (have for all of the track events this year) and I have noticed the inner/outer pads are wearing at the same rate as well. Not that I can say they wore at different rates before in my experience since last year I wasn't nearly as hard on the car and didn't have as many track days. But I figure they can't hurt and they are actually quite hard to spot if you are worried about embarasing questions
?

·
Registered
791 Posts

Shawn
So suppose I had a "friend" who wanted to try the spatula method, would my "friend" need to be be concerned about the spatula getting in the way of the steering mechanisms at all?
Again, just trying to help out a "friend."

Also, is there an HKS brand of spatula my friend can buy for $1,500? He won't put anything on his car unless it costs at least $1,500 + install.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts