Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
R33 Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have had issues on passing NYS emission inspection on an aftermarket mid pipe mods such as that of Stillen' s ( Stainless Secondary Cat Delete Y-Pipe). Thanks!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
For the first two years the car only gets a safety inspection. The dealer installed my midpipe at the same time they did my inspection.

I think most people would never know you removed two of the cats as there are still two before the o2 sensors. I'm not sure though what happens if they do the sniffer test though.

There are always places that will pass the car, ask around I'm sure someone will know of a place.

·
R33 Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom! I'm glad you have your dealer installed it..i wish i had thought of that upon purchase. I got mine out-of-state in NJ abt 70 miles away, im' sure it won't be a problem for them to install, but one by me (NY) 'had a not so good 1st experience for my state inspection (sked miscommunication..had to write a poor review on dealersreview.com). I'm trying to google NY sniffer test but could not get a good result. Otherwise, just excited to get my midpipe done (incl front lip)..hopefully, by next wk or so....

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I got my car out of state too, had it shipped from Arizona.

From what I understand the "sniffer" test is basically slang for a device they can attach to your exhaust to make sure it is up to emission standards. Basically it can determine if your cats are working properly or if they have been removed.

Your going to love the car even more with the midpipe, it will give the car the exhaust note it should have had from the factory.

·
Alpha 10
3,763 Posts
your car should pass inspection as long as you don't have any engine lights on...doesn't matter what mods you have on

·
Registered
639 Posts
In NYS you must pass the "sniffer test " after the car is 2 years old. You must come under the limit for CO2 and CO. I am not sure what the limits are , maybe someone else knows the limits.

·
R33 Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the info; I'll be interested to know the limits for CO2 & CO as well. Anyone?

·
Registered
739 Posts
goto a garage not a really nice and big one, I just goto the one attached to a gas station, tell them your concern is a good start. something can be done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
where do they still do this 'sniffer' test? I am a certified NYS inspector, and at my shop we dont do that anymore..as of January this year they did away with all the old inspection equipment. No more dyno roller and road test crap.

All it is now is a plug in to the OBD port. no CEL and 5/6 monitors need to be ready and you will pass no problem. Having monitors at the 'not ready' status (02 sensor, 02 heater, catalyst, secondary air, evap emissions) will cause you to not pass.

I have experienced some flashes on some other makes of cars that just simply disable the rear 02s, and in some cases that permanently sets it to 'not ready'. There are ways within flashing a car that can allow you to permanently set it as 'ready', or program it to feed a dummy signal so it thinks everything is ok.

I do this with the BMW crowd all the time..we have all sorts of little adjustable potentiometers to wire in and fool the DME into thinking it has cats...heck you only need it for less than a day and you can yank it out again.

the 335 crowd was proven to pass smog in CA with catless downpipes but retaining the secondary cats in the exhaust..so for any tree huggers out there, the cars of today put out WAY less emissions than someone whos driving around a 1995 honda civic.

·
R33 Member
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where do they still do this 'sniffer' test? I am a certified NYS inspector, and at my shop we dont do that anymore..as of January this year they did away with all the old inspection equipment. No more dyno roller and road test crap.

All it is now is a plug in to the OBD port. no CEL and 5/6 monitors need to be ready and you will pass no problem. Having monitors at the 'not ready' status (02 sensor, 02 heater, catalyst, secondary air, evap emissions) will cause you to not pass.

I have experienced some flashes on some other makes of cars that just simply disable the rear 02s, and in some cases that permanently sets it to 'not ready'. There are ways within flashing a car that can allow you to permanently set it as 'ready', or program it to feed a dummy signal so it thinks everything is ok.

I do this with the BMW crowd all the time..we have all sorts of little adjustable potentiometers to wire in and fool the DME into thinking it has cats...heck you only need it for less than a day and you can yank it out again.

the 335 crowd was proven to pass smog in CA with catless downpipes but retaining the secondary cats in the exhaust..so for any tree huggers out there, the cars of today put out WAY less emissions than someone whos driving around a 1995 honda civic.
Thanks for this info

·
Registered
2 Posts
+1 thanks for the info!

I was unaware the sniffer test was done away with.
It was probably the best thing the DMV ever did! That stuff was prone to breaking, failing to calibrate, throwing errors in the middle of doing an inspection, and cost a lot to have maintained as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts