Nissan GT-R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Yesterday evening I was able to track down and fix an obnoxious rattle that has been plaguing my GT-R for months. I thought I would post a simple explanation here on the forum to aid anyone else who might also be experiencing a similar problem.

The rattle:
-Located in the passenger side dash area
-Got progressively worse over time
-Generally at its worst while driving over rough surfaces
-metallic in nature

The Culprit:

Auto part Magenta Bumper Automotive exterior Carmine

This small screw that fastens the dash to the vehicle had become loose and was rattling in its threads. Due to the windshield, this is a very difficult screw to tighten, however it can be adequately addressed using both mini length and ninety degree angle phillips head screw drivers. After tightening the screw I took the car for a drive and... silence! It feels and sounds like a well built vehicle again!

Thanks,
Craig Rhyne

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Cool! Can you back the camera out a bit and snap another pic - to get a better perspective where this is? Thanks!
+1 would love to see exactly where this is as I believe I am experiencing the same rattle. How did you uncover the screw....what needs to be removed?

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
+1 would love to see exactly where this is as I believe I am experiencing the same rattle. How did you uncover the screw....what needs to be removed?

Thanks
Unfortunately I've already put the interior back together and that is the only picture I took. However, The screw is located directly under the foot of the A-Pillar trim on the right side of the dash. To access the screw, one must simply pull off the A-pillar trim... and then tighten the screw. The only tricky part of removing the A-pillar is releasing one oddly shapped blue plastic clip which appears to be some sort of secondary fastener for the trim piece. I simply pulled the trim loose, and then cut the plastic fastener with a small pair of dikes. This whole process can be completed in 5-10 minutes.

Thanks,
Craig Rhyne

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
interesting, gonna have to check mine out, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
After tightening the screw I took the car for a drive and... silence! It feels and sounds like a well built vehicle again!
Of course, silence in a GT-R is a relative experience. Congrats finding the rattle.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Due to the requirement of cutting the second blue clip, is the A-pillar trim secure once refitted?
I'd hate to fix the screw rattle only to end up with a loose trim panel!

Looks like the culprit is in the following location:
View attachment 55805
craigrhyne/Ajns3 can you confirm?

Protegimus
Once you cut the blue clip off and when you put it back on it is secure and will not rattle.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm happy to report back that the rattle that had plagued my car for over a year is now gone.

Thanks OP for this easy fix.
Any pics?

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app

·
El Diablo
682 Posts
Thank you for this! This fixed my rattle.

·
Registered
628 Posts
How did you ever narrow it down to this! haha

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I may have the same rattle. Comes and goes and is in the dash on the driver's side. I cannot tell from the picture how to get to it. Where exactly is it located and how did you get to it?
yep same here...comes and goes on the driver side

·
Registered
452 Posts
THANK YOU!! I just fixed mine. You can use 2 flat head screwdrivers to pull that blue clip out so you don't have to cut it. Also be sure to put back the little foam cube that flies out toward the bottom of the A pillar cover otherwise it will move around. I'm not sure exactly where it's supposed to go so I just put it on a small flat metal piece under the bottom of where the cover goes. Thank again for finding it!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts